Loud Whining Noise When Going Downhill - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 5th Gen - Hybrid (XX50/2019-present) Toyota Avalon Hybrid discussion for years 2019+.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Loud Whining Noise When Going Downhill

We just took our first road trip in our new 2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited (500 miles each way).* This is our first hybrid vehicle, so we don't have any hybrid experience. Our trip involved going through some east coast mountains (all freeway driving, using the adaptive cruise control the entire time) and one thing that happened 3 or 4 times was a relatively loud whining sound (like an electric motor going too fast) when going down a relatively steep mountain highway (it never happened on other less steep roads).* When this happened, the CHG/EVO/PWR gage on the left would go all the way down to zero for a few seconds before coming back up.* Is this normal?* I couldn't find anything about this in the owners*manual.* It didn't always happen going downhill, but happened enough that I need to know of this is normal.*Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
I am not familiar with particular year model but all hybrids have the highest charging rate when rolling downhill. That actually does sound exactly as you describe it - electric motor sound. That sound is pretty much always present when vehicle is regenerating electricity. it simply becomes enhanced when rolling down due to combined forces of momentum and gravity.
Is the gauge behavior normal, that I do not know. One of the new models owners will pitch in, no doubt.

post #3 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 10:56 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Perhaps too late for this, but an audio clip would help. Virtually impossible to diagnose sounds online.
Probably unrelated, (I'm very sensitive to mech/elec sounds) but with my 2014 TAH, up and down VA mountains (in July heat), 90k miles, I've never heard any extreme electric "whine."

Is there any way you can find an interstate hill near you and capture an audio clip? (...also, put your location/region in your signature...it really helps)

2014 AvalonHybrid Limited
2015 Nissan Leaf S
2013 Ford CMax SEL
2017 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
I have witnessed some very sensitive ear owners that consider normal MG sound "too loud" and annoying. Quite a few, actually. I am used to this. Especially if you use B mode, it all starts sounding quite loud.

post #5 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 06:21 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Took my new ride to the Colorado Mountains and experienced the same noise when going down a steep hill. I believe this is normal. When going uphill the engine whines but definitely a different noise going downhill.. most likely the electric motor re-energizing. First impression of mountain driving was adequate power but need to get used to the CVT transmission. Car is very quiet and smooth with outstanding MPG thus far. Don't know if I can rely on the computer reading 52mpg but already have driven 460 miles and tank still half full. Love the car!!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianewman View Post
Perhaps too late for this, but an audio clip would help. Virtually impossible to diagnose sounds online.

Probably unrelated, (I'm very sensitive to mech/elec sounds) but with my 2014 TAH, up and down VA mountains (in July heat), 90k miles, I've never heard any extreme electric "whine."

Is there any way you can find an interstate hill near you and capture an audio clip? (...also, put your location/region in your signature...it really helps)
I'll be taking the same trip in early June, so I'll try to capture an audio clip during that trip and post it.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn523 View Post
Took my new ride to the Colorado Mountains and experienced the same noise when going down a steep hill. I believe this is normal. When going uphill the engine whines but definitely a different noise going downhill.. most likely the electric motor re-energizing. First impression of mountain driving was adequate power but need to get used to the CVT transmission. Car is very quiet and smooth with outstanding MPG thus far. Don't know if I can rely on the computer reading 52mpg but already have driven 460 miles and tank still half full. Love the car!!
I'm glad someone else has heard this sound when going down a steep hill. As I said above I'm going to try to capture the sound the next time I take this trip (DC to Cincinnati and back) in early June.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Thksnow: I look forward to hearing an audio clip. I'm surprised that the newer, more sophisticated TAH would be noisier than my 2014, which, I'll say again, has zero extraneous electrical whining sounds. I'm 64, and I drive my family nuts asking them to notice the sounds I hear...odd tire/road surface humming, something rattling in the trunk, etc. I'm quite anal about sounds...

Please put your location in your info. Thanks.

2014 AvalonHybrid Limited
2015 Nissan Leaf S
2013 Ford CMax SEL
2017 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Avalon Hybrid > Avalon 5th Gen - Hybrid (XX50/2019-present)