Clicking sound when steering - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 1st Gen - Hybrid (XU20/2005-2007) Toyota Highlander Hybrid discussion for years 2005-2007.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Clicking sound when steering

Hi all - I have a 2006 HiHy with ~ 152k miles on it. 4wd limited model.

In the last week or so, it has started clicking (not a clunk or squeak) rather loudly when turning the steering wheel. Steering still works / feels fine, but I'm worried something is wrong. My first thought was fluid was low or dirty...but then I realized it has electric steering. All the posts I have found on electric steering issues relate to overheating / steering rack needing replacement.

It's winter in New England and it is used for mostly around town driving, so I'm not thinking it has anything to do with overheating. And also those threads mention shaking when steering or partial to complete loss of power steering. I'm just getting a loud clicking sound when I turn the wheel left or right. Happens while driving and while parking / parked.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2017, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Try this:

How to cure the Return of Steering Click Credit to wesrick

Greased the shaft today. Fixed the clunking.

It ended up being more simple than what I had thought, but there are a few tips that could've come in handy, tips that weren't in the TSB. Since the TSB is already readily available through a search, I'm not going to detail every step...

Tips

1.) To stop the wheel from turning, I put a piece of rope around one side of the wheel, through the drivers side door, wrapped it around the front of the windshield and back through the passenger door, then tied it to the other side of the wheel. Worked very nicely.

2.) Remove the air filter container (just three screws inside of box, and clamp on intake hose to yank it out). This makes it a cinch to get down into the 2nd steering shaft clamp listed in the TSB.

3.) After removing marking both fittings, and removing both bolts, remove the fitting inside the engine compartment first; it was easier to remove than the one located under the dash. Use a screwdriver to 'rattle' the u-joint around a little bit to help loosen it from the piece it connects into. Otherwise, it can be a bit of a pain to pull out. I also used a screwdriver to -thoughtfully and lightly- pry the shaft away from the column attached to the wheel.

4.) When you grease the shaft, you're putting the grease into the plastic piece in the middle of the intermediate shaft (they can be seen when you look under the dash - before you even remove it). Look closely to find the missing splines the TSB talks about. It can be a bit hard to see, but when you find it, the grease kit fitting slides right down in, just like shown in the TSB. It's hard to push the grease in, but slowly and surely, it flows in, both sides of the shaft (again, as listed in the TSB).

5.) When putting the shaft back in, use just a touch household of oil to help the shaft slide back into place a little easier. Again, I used a screwdriver to 'rattle' the shaft back into the place with both the fitting under the hood, and the fitting under the dash.

Hope these tips help.

Total time spent was about an hour, start to finish (with cleanup).

This is for Camry.I somehow doubt Highlander is much different. Technically all modern cars have intermediate steering shaft.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2017, 03:12 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
How to cure the Return of Steering Click Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman
My 2007 had the TSB performed several years ago dealing with clicking in the steering column at low speeds. I'm finding now that the clicking has returned. I'm wondering (a) if I should be concerned about it and (b) if so, will this be covered under the 7/75 "Toyota Platinum" warranty (or any other warranty).

I went through this last year (long story). All you need to do is match mark the shaft where it mates to the "steering wheel side" of the shaft coming out of the column (not the floor). Loosen the bolt and cycle the shaft up and down a few times. This will redistribute the grease and noise will go away. Takes less than 10 minutes.

I did this over 30,000 miles ago. Still no issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-07-2018, 03:19 PM
New TN User

Same issue

I own the 2013 Highlander Limited lucky when I bought the SUV new I got the extended warranty. I started having the clicking sound when steering and took my Highlander to the local dealer and it is now being fixed. As to the warranty I only paid $100 deductible for the repair with my Highlander almost at 50K of miles.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-07-2018, 08:25 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Well, if you kindly tell all what exactly was done to fix it...

post #6 of 7 Old 11-10-2018, 08:09 AM
New TN User

The total with out warranty was $600, and the part was Shaft ASSY Steering (45220-48171 with bolts and washers 90080 - 11555). As stated I had MPP Extended so only paid $100 out of pocket.

Issue is fixed now.. Also as of May 2018 the NTSB is investigating all the Highlander complains for the issue above so hopefully all the owners of this issue with out warranty may one day get the issue fixed via recall which the dealer said till the NTSB makes an outcome Toyota will not fix it for free unless your in the original warranty or u have extended warranty which pick ups the cost. Not sure why some dealers charging people 1000K for the fix.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-10-2018, 08:42 AM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Thank you. In lay terms, that was intermediate steering shaft replacement. One that is known to produce clunking noise due to splines binding in turns. Same as GM ISS issue. It's like as if Toyota copied GM problem or used same supplier.
Usually manifests itself in audible clunk with steering wheel turned slightly and wheels going into a pothole of some sort. Say, pulling into a street from parking lot... so you turn and wheels drop down some. That's when ISS is under load and is attempting to extend. Severe cases you can produce clunk by simply spinning steering wheel left/right rapidly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid > Highlander 1st Gen - Hybrid (XU20/2005-2007)