2008 Hihy with c1391 error code. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 2nd Gen - Hybrid (XU40/2008-2013) Toyota Highlander Hybrid discussion for years 2008-2013.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-04-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2008 Hihy with c1391 error code.

So my highlander has the dreaded accumulator pressure low, internal leak code. I'm sorta of puzzled what part that needs to be replaced. Is it the block actuator thing or the pump / accumulator? I have access to Techstream and would like to fix this problem on the cheap.

I don't wan't to throw a 800 dollar part at the issue just to find out i need to spend 1000 more. I hear that it could be the pump or the actuator assembly. I read about the active brake test in TechStream but don't fully understand what exactly i am looking at/for. Can some one explain the troubleshooting process that i go though in the Tech stream software?

I really cant afford to spend 3k to get this issue fixed right now, but i can afford some used parts and a bit of tinkering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-18-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
If any one has this same problem here is how i fixed the abs system. This can be done as a DIY, If i can do it you can. You will need a special tool to bleed the air from the system after replacing components. You don't have to spend the $2400 for an actuator and pay Toyota techs tons of money.

If you have C1391 error only it is %99.9 likely the valve body leaking accumulator pressure back into the reservoir. You likely do not have to replace the booster pump. Assuming you find no external leaking. You can replace the part with a rebuilt unit. I found a guy on eBay that rebuilds the valve bodies and fixes this internal leaking. It was $870 and well worth. Andy is really passionate about helping. I know some of you are going to say "But ozzy thats not a servicable component. That wont work." The alternatives to me are unacceptable, a used part costs about as much as rebuilding...

Installing this part was not difficult. Use a line wrench and carefully hand tighten every thing so you dont cross thread and Don't over tighten. Follow along with techstream to bleed the brakes then clear the error codes, easy peasy. It took me about 5 hours in research and about 2 to fix the issue. I was into this $35 for a mini vci cable, $12 in DOT 3 and $870 for the part and shipping. Less then a grand.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-27-2018, 09:45 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzmundo View Post
If any one has this same problem here is how i fixed the abs system. This can be done as a DIY, If i can do it you can. You will need a special tool to bleed the air from the system after replacing components. You don't have to spend the $2400 for an actuator and pay Toyota techs tons of money.

If you have C1391 error only it is %99.9 likely the valve body leaking accumulator pressure back into the reservoir. You likely do not have to replace the booster pump. Assuming you find no external leaking. You can replace the part with a rebuilt unit. I found a guy on eBay that rebuilds the valve bodies and fixes this internal leaking. It was $870 and well worth. Andy is really passionate about helping. I know some of you are going to say "But ozzy thats not a servicable component. That wont work." The alternatives to me are unacceptable, a used part costs about as much as rebuilding...

Installing this part was not difficult. Use a line wrench and carefully hand tighten every thing so you dont cross thread and Don't over tighten. Follow along with techstream to bleed the brakes then clear the error codes, easy peasy. It took me about 5 hours in research and about 2 to fix the issue. I was into this $35 for a mini vci cable, $12 in DOT 3 and $870 for the part and shipping. Less then a grand.
Can you link the supplier you used to get the part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-30-2018, 12:42 AM
New TN User

Unhappy Actuator Assembly Replacement at Dealer

I had that squeaky/vacuum-like noise really bad when I was at a stop with my foot on the brake. This is a primary vehicle for my children so I had to suck it up and pay for the replacement. $2400 later . A GM SUV is sounding really nice right now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	highlander_brake_malfunction.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	644.6 KB
ID:	216250  

Last edited by chiques4wdhl; 05-30-2018 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Inaccurate statement
post #5 of 14 Old 07-13-2018, 01:58 PM
New TN User

to you have the eBay link I have the same problem thanks
post #6 of 14 Old 07-13-2018, 09:59 PM
New TN User

post #7 of 14 Old 09-08-2018, 12:11 PM
New TN User

Important for people to know if you have internal accumulator leak you need to stop driving or the accumulator pump will burn up its not desined to run continually if you have a high pitch alarm in the car that wont shut off the pump is fried and unrebuilable they cost about 800 great post about the place that rebuilds the accumulators thanks gearhead not enough of us
post #8 of 14 Old 04-02-2019, 11:13 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was having the same problem and the ABS pump was cycling every 10-15 seconds. I decided to just flush the brake fluid with some brand new fluid . Now, the pump would only cycle every minute. So, the solution might be simpler than we thought. This is the second day. Will see if it actually fixes the problem.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-02-2019, 05:03 PM
New TN User

My wife's 2008 is at the dealership now. Been there since last Thursday waiting for parts. Pump was bad as well, I guess.
$2,600 and the warranty is just one year.
No one should buy one of these used until Toyota steps up and takes care of this defect.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-03-2019, 09:20 AM
New TN User

3rd day after the brake fluid flush. Brake pressure held for more than 2 minutes yesterday. I would say the problem is fixed for $9 and 20 minutes of my time.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-12-2019, 05:45 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Ang View Post
3rd day after the brake fluid flush. Brake pressure held for more than 2 minutes yesterday. I would say the problem is fixed for $9 and 20 minutes of my time.
Edward - can you please update again? Have you had to do anything more on this yet? We're getting a C1391 error and have our fingers crossed we can do a brake fluid flush/bleed to see if that takes care of it.

Ozzy - how did you determine you would need to replace only the actuator assembly and not the booster pump? I believe c1391 is the only code we're seeing but the dealer wanted to replace both.

TIA. This is such a disappointing fail. Have loved my HiHy up to now.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-12-2019, 06:04 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by insahmniak View Post
Quote:
Edward - can you please update again? Have you had to do anything more on this yet? We're getting a C1391 error and have our fingers crossed we can do a brake fluid flush/bleed to see if that takes care of it.

Ozzy - how did you determine you would need to replace only the actuator assembly and not the booster pump? I believe c1391 is the only code we're seeing but the dealer wanted to replace both.

TIA. This is such a disappointing fail. Have loved my HiHy up to now.
Still doing good. The booster pump sounds quieter. And, now, the pump would not even turn on when I open the driver door even after sitting in the garage for 2 days. I can force it to turn on by pressing the brake pedal. It will then turn on for 2-3 seconds and stay off until the 2-minute timeout.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-14-2019, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:

I'd like to caution here.
HiHy has drive by wire brake by wire system. As such, brake fluid flush has to be done with scanner, to move valves in brake actuator. By no means that is $9 fix. Trying to flush brake fluid conventional way may result in damage to brake actuator. Dealer charges approximately $150 for procedure.
From my 8 years with hybrids, I do not believe brake actuator has to cycle continuously, no matter what intervals, shorter or longer. It should prime at start up and after shut down, that's pretty much it. Any cycling action or triggering it with every brake pedal touch points towards problem with the system.

post #14 of 14 Old 04-15-2019, 09:54 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Still doing good. The booster pump sounds quieter. And, now, the pump would not even turn on when I open the driver door even after sitting in the garage for 2 days. I can force it to turn on by pressing the brake pedal. It will then turn on for 2-3 seconds and stay off until the 2-minute timeout.
Thank you for that update. We did a bleed (with a scanner) yesterday and have since had it on the road maybe 30 miles. No lights on yet and I'm not hearing the pump run nearly as much. The flush seemed a bit off so we might try flushing it again next weekend or before in case the lights come back on prior to that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid > Highlander 2nd Gen - Hybrid (XU40/2008-2013)