Upgrading 2018 HiHy low beam headlights. Which one? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Gen - Hybrid (XU50/2014-present) Toyota Highlander Hybrid discussion for years 2014+.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 08-01-2018, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Upgrading 2018 HiHy low beam headlights. Which one?

Hi,

I recently picked up the 2018 XLE HiHy in late May and after driving it for couple months now with the stock light have decided to upgrade it to either LED or HID. My previous ride of the Honda Odyssey used to sport the HIDs which I liked a lot but had the initial issues with the bulb going on/off, which was later painfully traced back to a fuse not having the ample amperage. Once that was resolved, drove years with no bulb issue.

Does anyone know if this will be the case if I opt for LED or HID on my car? I'm assuming the technology has improved since 2014. Read on a couple of other threads here that 'XenonDepot' sounds like the vendor to use? Also, this model's light housing unit is enclosed with a cap, would the ballisters or external bulb component also need to be shoved into it with no issues? Being mechanically challenged , any video links to show the light replacement process/tricks/tips is appreciated especially the driver side.

TIA,
William
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamh99 View Post
Hi,

I recently picked up the 2018 XLE HiHy in late May and after driving it for couple months now with the stock light have decided to upgrade it to either LED or HID. My previous ride of the Honda Odyssey used to sport the HIDs which I liked a lot but had the initial issues with the bulb going on/off, which was later painfully traced back to a fuse not having the ample amperage. Once that was resolved, drove years with no bulb issue.

Does anyone know if this will be the case if I opt for LED or HID on my car? I'm assuming the technology has improved since 2014. Read on a couple of other threads here that 'XenonDepot' sounds like the vendor to use? Also, this model's light housing unit is enclosed with a cap, would the ballisters or external bulb component also need to be shoved into it with no issues? Being mechanically challenged , any video links to show the light replacement process/tricks/tips is appreciated especially the driver side.

TIA,
William
Hey William, congrats on the new Camry!

Either HID or LED will work great, so it depends on how much of an improvement you were looking for. HID Kits would still be your brightest option and you can expect a 30-40% improvement from the Xtreme Pro LED kits over standard halogen bulbs.

As far as fitment goes, not sure if you'll have enough room for everything inside of the housing but if you do then you can install everything within. If you don't then you'll need to a drill a hole in the dust cover and seal with the rubber grommets we provide with all of our HID and LED kits.

I'll be happy to help you and recommend the upgrade that's best for you.

Danny
post #3 of 30 Old 08-01-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Hi Danny,

Thanks for the reply, the model is Highlander Hybrid . With regards to moving all the components into the housing, will it rattle as I drive? Also, will there be a need to change out any fuse to increase the amperage?

I'm on this site - http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-ki...show=72&page=1 and wondering what is the difference is for the 'Extreme HID' to the 'Vold HID'?

Thanks,
William

Last edited by williamh99; 08-01-2018 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Adding information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 08-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
I bought the HiD 4600k upgraded bulb kit from xenon depot for my 2017 Hybrid. They are awesome. I did drill the hole in the dust cover and there is no rattling of any sort. I also ordered the hid 5000k for our gmc truck and very much prefer the 4600 bulb for a few bucks more. I also have to say these guys really stand behind their product. One of the anti flicker modules went out on our gmc more than a year after installing. But they still sent me a new one to replace the old, even though it wasnít under warranty.
XenonDepot and williamh99 like this.

2017 Hybrid Limited Platinum -Black/Almon
**Previously owned 2006 Highlander Hybrid and 2010 Limited Highlander Hybrid**
The Following User Says Thank You to Beachguysc For This Useful Post:
TableRocked (05-15-2019)
post #5 of 30 Old 08-01-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachguysc View Post
I bought the HiD 4600k upgraded bulb kit from xenon depot for my 2017 Hybrid. They are awesome. I did drill the hole in the dust cover and there is no rattling of any sort. I also ordered the hid 5000k for our gmc truck and very much prefer the 4600 bulb for a few bucks more. I also have to say these guys really stand behind their product. One of the anti flicker modules went out on our gmc more than a year after installing. But they still sent me a new one to replace the old, even though it wasnít under warranty.
"HID 4600K upgraded bulb kit' do you mean the Philips bulb? I don't see the option for 4600K, only 4300K. Could I trouble you at your leisure to snap a couple of pics of how the finished products looks with the drilled holes and where you tied the components? I'm mechanically challenged, so will need to do the 'monkey see, monkey do' approach Again, no rush with the pics, only when you get a chance to. Thanks.
post #6 of 30 Old 08-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Hi Danny,

Thanks for the reply, the model is Highlander Hybrid . With regards to moving all the components into the housing, will it rattle as I drive? Also, will there be a need to change out any fuse to increase the amperage?

I'm on this site - http://www.xeno<a href="http://www.x...show=72&page=1 and wondering what is the difference is for the 'Extreme HID' to the 'Vold HID'?

Thanks,
William
Sorry! I meant to say Highlander. With the Highlander, you actually do have enough room for everything. Check out these two reviews, ones with our H11 Xtreme HID kit and one with the H11 Xtreme LED Pro Kit:

2017 Toyota Highlander - H11 Xtreme HID Kit Review

2017 Toyota Highlander - H11 LED Headlight Install Guide and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachguysc View Post
Thank you for the great feedback! To correct you, the rebased Philips HID bulbs are rated at 4300K but they do color shift to 4700K after about 100 hours of usage.

Danny
post #7 of 30 Old 08-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
"HID 4600K upgraded bulb kit' do you mean the Philips bulb? I don't see the option for 4600K, only 4300K. Could I trouble you at your leisure to snap a couple of pics of how the finished products looks with the drilled holes and where you tied the components? I'm mechanically challenged, so will need to do the 'monkey see, monkey do' approach Again, no rush with the pics, only when you get a chance to. Thanks.
Oopss. I guess I meant 4300. But it is the Phillips.. If if ever stops raining, Iíll snap some pics when I have the hood open again. I donít think I can fit my camera where the dust cover is, though. It is super easy to drill the cover with the right size spade bit.
XenonDepot likes this.

2017 Hybrid Limited Platinum -Black/Almon
**Previously owned 2006 Highlander Hybrid and 2010 Limited Highlander Hybrid**
post #8 of 30 Old 08-02-2018, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Danny,

Thanks for the 2 links detailing how to do the HID and LED installation. With regards to the HID installation, both methods in that link specified that they did not use the included 'relay harness'. I'm lost as to what this 'relay harness' is for? The alternate install method was more apparent that it wasn't used so that it could stuff all of the lighting component into the housing unit. While not cleaner than the first method, still a method that I can do since I don't have any spade bits or such to drill the required 7/8 inch opening into the 'light dust cover'.

Also, what is this 'canbus' option from the xenon depot website? Will it be needed for my 2018 HiHy?

~William

Last edited by williamh99; 08-02-2018 at 09:26 PM.
post #9 of 30 Old 08-03-2018, 08:26 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Danny,

Thanks for the 2 links detailing how to do the HID and LED installation. With regards to the HID installation, both methods in that link specified that they did not use the included 'relay harness'. I'm lost as to what this 'relay harness' is for? The alternate install method was more apparent that it wasn't used so that it could stuff all of the lighting component into the housing unit. While not cleaner than the first method, still a method that I can do since I don't have any spade bits or such to drill the required 7/8 inch opening into the 'light dust cover'.

Also, what is this 'canbus' option from the xenon depot website? Will it be needed for my 2018 HiHy?

~William
Hi William,

With the relay harness installed it ensures you are getting 12volts at all time to the HID ballast so that there is no drop in power. With the Highlander, it's optional when installing our Xtreme and Volt HID kits as they both use a low draw ballast (The Xtreme ballast has a lower draw between the two).

As for canbus, you won't need it for the low beams, the only time you would need it is if you are installing an upgrade kit that has daytime running lights or for turn signals.

Danny
post #10 of 30 Old 08-03-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonDepot View Post
Hi William,

With the relay harness installed it ensures you are getting 12volts at all time to the HID ballast so that there is no drop in power. With the Highlander, it's optional when installing our Xtreme and Volt HID kits as they both use a low draw ballast (The Xtreme ballast has a lower draw between the two).

As for canbus, you won't need it for the low beams, the only time you would need it is if you are installing an upgrade kit that has daytime running lights or for turn signals.

Danny
Hi Danny,

I just put in the order and made a note to you to help ensure that I ordered the correct part for my 2018 Hybrid Highlander XLE. It should be the 'Extreme HID with upgraded Philips bulb'.

Please let me know if there is any additional information needed in a separate dialogue.

-William
post #11 of 30 Old 08-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Hi Danny,

I just put in the order and made a note to you to help ensure that I ordered the correct part for my 2018 Hybrid Highlander XLE. It should be the 'Extreme HID with upgraded Philips bulb'.

Please let me know if there is any additional information needed in a separate dialogue.

-William
Awesome! I just checked it out and everything looks good! We'll notify you once it ships

Danny
post #12 of 30 Old 08-04-2018, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Donno. I had LEDs and could not wish any better.

post #13 of 30 Old 08-09-2018, 04:19 PM
Senior TN Member

It really depends on the LED kit... Some (most) in the market put out less light then the OEM halogen bulbs (even though they are advertised to be as bright as the sun). Our Xtreme Pro H11 LED bulbs put out approximately 35% more light then OE halogen bulb. The increased light output combined with a whiter light (5500k) makes for an overall better driving experience.

Steve
post #14 of 30 Old 08-10-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Hi Danny,

Finally got the package delivered yesterday. I installed it only on the passenger side to try and test the comparison to the stock bulb on the driver side. (What an extremely PIA process to do!) The difference is significant and will install the driver side later on today. I did end up using the 'stuff everything into the light housing unit' method since I don't readily have any bits to drill the dust cap with. Another note is outside of the extremely tight space to work with was that the polarity had to be switched. It is a shame that I didn't snap any pics prior.

~William
post #15 of 30 Old 08-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Hi Danny,

Finally got the package delivered yesterday. I installed it only on the passenger side to try and test the comparison to the stock bulb on the driver side. (What an extremely PIA process to do!) The difference is significant and will install the driver side later on today. I did end up using the 'stuff everything into the light housing unit' method since I don't readily have any bits to drill the dust cap with. Another note is outside of the extremely tight space to work with was that the polarity had to be switched. It is a shame that I didn't snap any pics prior.

~William
Hi William,

Thank you for the feedback so far on the H11 Xtreme HID kit! If you do get the chance to still take some comparison pictures before you install the other side that would be great as well as I'm sure other members would like to see that too

Danny

Last edited by XenonDepot; 08-10-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid > Highlander 3rd Gen - Hybrid (XU50/2014-present)