Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist function - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Gen - Hybrid (XU50/2014-present) Toyota Highlander Hybrid discussion for years 2014+.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 Old 03-24-2019, 08:10 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I've noticed that Toyota's implementation of Steering Assist is much weaker than Honda's Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS). LKAS, when activated (and it must be reinitiated each time you start the vehicle) will attempt to keep the vehicle centered in the lane, if it can pick up the lane lines/curbs under current driving conditions. When driving around mild curves, I can feel the steering wheel preemptively turn towards the curve.

On my Highlander, I don't feel as much steering guidance from the vehicle on similar curves on standard and on high sensitivity. I also get more false positives on the audio alert of an impending lane departure on certain roads that don't have long lane striping. It isn't clear to me if the high/standard sensitivity setting applies only to the lane departure system or also the steering assist feature. Either way, SA on the Highlander is something I wouldn't rely on, while Honda's LKAS seems like a mini-feature that would be utilized more in autonomous driving.
TableRocked likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootbeerfloat For This Useful Post:
TableRocked (05-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 Old 04-24-2019, 10:15 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have noticed that I need to manually turn off and back on this feature to get it working properly again. Dealerships just say that its normal operation.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-24-2019, 10:19 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
After reading about the current Toyota Safety Sense package, Steering Assist looks to be a minimal feature attached to Lane Departure Alert. The new Lane Tracing Assist is more analogous to how Honda's Lane Keeping Assist operates. Too bad they can't/won't upgrade slightly older models that have just LDA/SA to have LTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 19 Old 05-06-2019, 12:48 PM
TableRocked

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I was curious if anyone has asked the dealer to increase the level of steering correction strength from the system? I drove a 2019 Rav 4 XLE as a rental and that thing was stay within the lanes and had very noticable steering correction strength that I would love to see on my wife's 2018 HyHi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid > Highlander 3rd Gen - Hybrid (XU50/2014-present)