Want a 2017 or 18 or 19 Highlander Hybrid - Any issues to be aware of? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Gen - Hybrid (XU50/2014-present) Toyota Highlander Hybrid discussion for years 2014+.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By M70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-10-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Want a 2017 or 18 or 19 Highlander Hybrid - Any issues to be aware of?

Looking for the limited trim. I seen anywhere from 38K to 50K depending on mileage. Anything I should look out for when looking at used ones? general cost for each year?

Last edited by blakeas; 10-15-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-14-2018, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Regular maintenance. Get a CPO one don't mess with anything else, no matter how appealing price is. 2017 and up will be under full warranty, so not much headaches there. Otherwise, the regular - check for paint jobs, etc. But CPO should cover that.

post #3 of 5 Old 10-14-2018, 10:42 AM
M70
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
By your header it is hard to tell if you are looking at 2017, 2018 or 2019 . Seriously , would you not wonder why any of those are back on a used lot so soon. Financing on new is much better than used so that should be what you consider first.
tferrio likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-11-2019, 01:58 AM
B52D,F,G,H

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
Looking for the limited trim. I seen anywhere from 38K to 50K depending on mileage. Anything I should look out for when looking at used ones? general cost for each year?
Just bought a new 2019 platinum and it was 50ish retail and 43ish discounted.
My only complaint is the ICS may be missing in this model as it does not appear to auto stop at slow speeds forward or backwards.
Front and side sensors are missing and you do not get the full compliment of sensors that my 2016 Prius has. Pulling into a garage it is very difficult to judge your distance from the wall and this hood can deceive you on distance. Cameras are a little help but no way to judge distance.

Miss my auto stop before you hit an object feature.

Good news is that this seems to be a quality vehicle and tight build.

If you plan to tow get a 4 Runner, Subaru, or a Tacoma quad cab. It says in the manual that this vehicle is not designed for towing. However I did crawl under the rear end yesterday and it has an electrical harness adapter and a face plate for a concealed tow bar.

If gas is not an big issue get the 4 Runner. Subaru may have better MPG but who could ever know for sure.

Quote:
Trailer towing
Your vehicle is designed primarily as a passenger-and-load-carrying vehicle. Towing a trailer can have an adverse impact on handling, performance, braking, durability, and fuel consumption. For your safety and the safety of others, you must not overload your vehicle or trailer. You must also ensure that you are using appropriate towing equipment, that the towing equipment has been installed correctly and used properly, and that you employ the requisite driving habits. Vehicle-trailer stability and braking performance are affected by trailer stability, brake performance and setting, trailer brakes, the hitch and hitch systems (if equipped). To tow a trailer safely, use extreme care and drive the vehicle in accordance with your trailerís characteristics and operating conditions. Toyota warranties do not apply to damage or malfunction caused by towing a trailer for commercial purposes.

2019 Highlander Hybrid platinum/2019 Limited Prius

Last edited by etp7; 02-11-2019 at 02:38 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-24-2019, 08:18 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etp7 View Post
Front and side sensors are missing and you do not get the full compliment of sensors that my 2016 Prius has. Pulling into a garage it is very difficult to judge your distance from the wall and this hood can deceive you on distance. Cameras are a little help but no way to judge distance.
Does the 2019 platinum have the panoramic view camera? My 2017 LTD PLAT does and I have it set to turn on automatically at slow speeds. The overhead view is great for pulling into the garage and also for parallel parking.
post #6 of 5 Old 03-24-2019, 12:23 PM
B52D,F,G,H

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yes

But the markings and contrast on the screen make it almost impossible to tell have far away you are from the wall.

List of 2019 Platinum issues that I have:

1. navigational voice guidance
2. front and side parking warnings
3. Poor camera contrast resolution issues when parking
4. No auto stop at slow speeds when parking (like the Prius which is a much cheaper car)
5. back seat needs to go/ increases weight and has limited functionality/buy a van if you need this seat
6. Full length moon roof needs to go

To get the parking assist (which is inadequate) I had to buy a platinum which has stuff that no one needs.

2019 Highlander Hybrid platinum/2019 Limited Prius

Last edited by etp7; 04-10-2019 at 03:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid > Highlander 3rd Gen - Hybrid (XU50/2014-present)