Gen-2 vs Gen-3 hybrid questions - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Gen - Hybrid (XU50/2014-present) Toyota Highlander Hybrid discussion for years 2014+.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By lloyd123
  • 1 Post By sadeen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-02-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Lookin' for MPG's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen-2 vs Gen-3 hybrid questions

Hello fellow Hi-Hy owners, been driving Gen-2 Limited's past 11 years, was in small fender-bender accident last week and considering buying 2019 Gen-3 XLE.

Is the chassis between Gen 2 and Gen 3 basically the same, roughly the same 3.5 Atkinson gas and same # of electric motors (is it 1 or 2 ?)?

Can I do full-time display of all 4 tire pressures like Gen-2 does on the secondary small dash display ?

Is there enough room under the body to replace the temporary tire with a genuine full-size mounted 5th wheel & tire (like my Gen-2)?

Is there a driver-controlled Engine Braking (I think it's regenerative) similar to my Gen-2 that's controlled by the gear shift knob? It's a wonderful feature while driving in traffic when raining.

Thanks!!

OP asks if the new HiHy has B-mode, like previous generations did (no, it is not regenerative braking, it is engine braking controlled by VVT-I)
Ukrkoz

'17 Rav4 Hybrid
'12 Highlander Hybrid

Last edited by ukrkoz; 03-02-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-03-2019, 02:37 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCarGo View Post
OP asks if the new HiHy has B-mode, like previous generations did (no, it is not regenerative braking, it is engine braking controlled by VVT-I)
Ukrkoz
This video by Toyota indicates that the S mode can be used for engine braking but it also says that it can activate regenerative braking as well - not sure what conditions need to be met to do both.

2017 Highlander Hybrid XLE Alumina Jade Metallic

The Following User Says Thank You to lloyd123 For This Useful Post:
ukrkoz (03-03-2019)
post #3 of 10 Old 03-03-2019, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Of course it regenerates electricity. That's how those are made - to regen at any opportunity. Yet officially - B mode is Engine Braking. Engine braking, hydraulic braking and regenerative braking are all tied together and work in unison as needed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-03-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Lookin' for MPG's

(Thread Starter)
So I understand.. my Gen 2 shifter has B position (for braking), whereas Gen 3 has S mode for me to select (-) to downshift and mimic what B does for me now ?

If I want.. on the info display panel, can I choose to view tire pressure (always-on) ?

Can I replace the spare temporary tire with a full-size regular tire like my Gen-2 has.. is there ROOM under the vehicle for full size tire ?

Thank you very much for the information so far !!

'17 Rav4 Hybrid
'12 Highlander Hybrid

Last edited by GoCarGo; 03-03-2019 at 09:45 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-04-2019, 09:26 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCarGo View Post
So I understand.. my Gen 2 shifter has B position (for braking), whereas Gen 3 has S mode for me to select (-) to downshift and mimic what B does for me now ?

If I want.. on the info display panel, can I choose to view tire pressure (always-on) ?

No - just a TPMS light I have used an android app on my phone to see exact tire pressure and temperature of each tire.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....tire&hl=en_US

Can I replace the spare temporary tire with a full-size regular tire like my Gen-2 has.. is there ROOM under the vehicle for full size tire ?

????

Thank you very much for the information so far !!

ukrkoz likes this.

post #6 of 10 Old 03-04-2019, 09:32 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Of course it regenerates electricity. That's how those are made - to regen at any opportunity. Yet officially - B mode is Engine Braking. Engine braking, hydraulic braking and regenerative braking are all tied together and work in unison as needed.

So is the "B" mode and the "S" mode basically the same thing except Toyota uses the "S" designation to try and give it a more sporty appearance and maybe make it more consistent with the "S" mode in the non hybrid versions?

Or is there an actual difference?

The video I posted seemed to push the performance aspect of the "S" mode more than the braking.

post #7 of 10 Old 03-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
S stands for Shiftable, as far as I know? AKA, Manual in other nomenclature.
I think, new HiHy-s have eCVT. I also think, they make it "shiftable", to mimic automatic transmission function. Hence, there is no formal B mode. As in B mode you simply coupled ICE to PSD and then used air flow resistance through ICE as additional braking force. Now, you "shift through gears", thus utilizing "gears" as slowing down mechanism. So yeah, it's sorta phony sports shifting.

The eCVT found on the Toyota Prius and other hybrids differs from CVTs found in other vehicles, such as the 2013 Nissan Altima or 2012 Scion iQ, because it does not use a belt or chain connected to a pair of variable pulleys. Instead, an eCVT uses electric motor/ generators to control the speeds of planetary gearset components. This allows the eCVT to continuously change the gear ratio, keeping the engineís rpm in the sweet spot. Just like when driving other CVT-equipped vehicles, drivers of vehicles with eCVTs donít feel the step change common to traditional automatic transmissions, yet the mechanisms (planetary gears) to achieve acceleration are largely the same.

The Motor Speed Reduction Device (a second planetary gear set found only in the Third Generation P410 and P510 transaxles), and which connects the traction motor directly to the Power Split Device, and thereafter to the wheels, has been replaced with parallel gears on the Fourth Generation P610 transaxle.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-04-2019, 12:48 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Oh, and to OP's question.

GoCarGo - you are asking if the new HiHy has full size spare under the trunk, right? And if not, can it be hoisted up there.

Sorry, I don't know. My 2012 had full size.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-05-2019, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Lookin' for MPG's

(Thread Starter)
Service Department today said No, full size tire will not fit under 2018-19 HiHy

Is there App for iPhone to see Tire Pressure and Temp ?

'17 Rav4 Hybrid
'12 Highlander Hybrid
post #10 of 10 Old 03-22-2019, 12:39 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the chassis between Gen 2 and Gen 3 basically the same, roughly the same 3.5 Atkinson gas and same # of electric motors (is it 1 or 2 ?)?
NO Gen 3: Chassis incrementally improved, rides / handles a little better. The 3.5 engine has more power and torque for 2017+, Same # electric motors. Gas mileage is a little less with my 2017 vs my 2011; your mileage may vary, as they say.
Can I do full-time display of all 4 tire pressures like Gen-2 does on the secondary small dash display ?
NO, they deleted this great feature! Now just a light. I was disappointed when I discovered this.
Is there enough room under the body to replace the temporary tire with a genuine full-size mounted 5th wheel & tire (like my Gen-2)?
YES it does fit, even with OEM hitch. I did the change last year no issues, see this thread for pictures, etc. >>
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...l#post12937050

Is there a driver-controlled Engine Braking (I think it's regenerative) similar to my Gen-2 that's controlled by the gear shift knob? It's a wonderful feature while driving in traffic when raining.

YES it has a 'manual shift' mode that emulates gear shifting, 'engine' braking (w regen). simulates gears 1-6.
ukrkoz likes this.

Last edited by sadeen; 03-22-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid > Highlander 3rd Gen - Hybrid (XU50/2014-present)