Hood glare - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Gen - Hybrid (XU50/2014-present) Toyota Highlander Hybrid discussion for years 2014+.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-19-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Hood glare

One thing I've noticed after having my Highlander for a few months is that the design of the hood has a serious safety issue: solar glare.

The scoop at the rear of the hood is concave and when the sun is low at certain angles it acts a parabolic reflector and focuses the light right into your face. I have to hold my hand in front to block it as it's so bad. My Prius has a similar scoop but because of the hood angle the sun would have to be below the horizon for it to be an issue.

Has anyone else complained about this and had it resolved (e.g. by having the dealer tape off the area and paint with a non-reflective coating)?

ET ~ 2019 Highlander Hybrid Limited
W1⚡QED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-19-2019, 06:52 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etkal View Post

Has anyone else complained about this and had it resolved (e.g. by having the dealer tape off the area and paint with a non-reflective coating)?
You’re kidding, right?
post #3 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Though it is likely "illegal" where you live - maybe not - I had several vehicles, and plan on doing it for the current one, with tinted windshield. One I had for around 5 years, never had an issue with it being even noticed by the law, though was pulled over several times. But it definitely reduces heat pouring inside by power and should take care of your concern. Again, as I mentioned - local regulations should be consulted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Though it is likely "illegal" where you live - maybe not - I had several vehicles, and plan on doing it for the current one, with tinted windshield. One I had for around 5 years, never had an issue with it being even noticed by the law, though was pulled over several times. But it definitely reduces heat pouring inside by power and should take care of your concern. Again, as I mentioned - local regulations should be consulted.
I'm not talking about tinting the windshield, I mean to paint the concave scoop portion of the hood to stop it from focusing the light...

ET ~ 2019 Highlander Hybrid Limited
W1⚡QED
post #5 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 02:49 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etkal View Post
I'm not talking about tinting the windshield, I mean to paint the concave scoop portion of the hood to stop it from focusing the light...
A lot of vehicles have similar problems, depending on angle and height of the driver. What I did was go to Walmart and buy some black hand towels which I keep near me, and then when that happens I throw one on the dash to block the glare. Since I have a black interior, the hand towel is not really noticeable when not in use.

The first time you wash the towels, use cold water to make them less likely to fade after subsequent washing.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 02:53 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
The tint films would have to be polarized to make a big difference. Easier to get Polaroid sunglasses (unless one already wears Rx glasses).

Polaroid lenses are designed to reduce or block reflected light, but allow non-reflected light to pass thru. Some heads-up displays that reflect off the windshield don't work well with Polaroid lenses.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Of course you are not, I know that. But it's a simple and feasible solution. Also, keeps vehicle much cooler inside and gives a bit privacy.

Well, let us know how it went with dealer.

All the best on your quest.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid > Highlander 3rd Gen - Hybrid (XU50/2014-present)