Droning noise on hybrid? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Gen - Hybrid (XU50/2014-present) Toyota Highlander Hybrid discussion for years 2014+.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-13-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Droning noise on hybrid?

Over in the forum for conventional 3rd Gen Highlanders there is a massive thread about 1800 rpm droning noise, which after nearly 600 posts seems to come down to resonant vibration in various exhaust components. https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...got-worse.html

I just picked up a '16 Hybrid and it has a similar issue. It's a loud vibration/buzzing type noise that happens only when the engine is under load in a very specific rev range (which seems like right around 1800-2000 rpm). It's most noticeable when climbing steep hills shortly after a cold start, which I do a lot, living more or less on the side of a cliff in Seattle. I didn't see any thread about the issue here, or any Hybrid owners posting in the thread above. Wondering if anyone else has experienced and/or solved this.

The car runs perfectly otherwise, and has a complete and flawless maintenance history, so I don't think it's a reason to panic. It will be due for its 50K service soon and I'll bring it up then, although people haven't had much luck fixing it through the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
I do not recall any noises of that nature in my 2012 HiHy, what should pretty much be identical power train. But I do recall same "droning" noise at 1600rpm in my then 2015 NX200t. And not just me, quite a few at Lexus Club had same. Seriously sounds like as if Toyota, with abundance of noise dampeners all over everywhere power train, just misses that one range....
Btw, I work Seattle downtown, so I had plenty of opportunities to test local hills. Talk about James and Cherry going east...

post #3 of 3 Old 06-27-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So I took the car in for its 50k mile service today, and asked the dealer (Toyota of Seattle) to have a look at the noise. They called and told me a bunch of pebbles had gotten between a few of the underbody aero covers and nearby components, and were causing the buzzing. When I picked the car up, there was still a bit of resonance at the problem engine speed, but all buzzing/vibration sounds were gone. The resonance (without buzzing) is noticeable if you are looking for it but really isn't objectionable at all.

Look out for pebbles and other debris!

2016 Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum, silver/black
2019 Chevy Bolt Premier, dark gray/black+white
1995 Acura Legend Sedan L, green/tan, 200K+ mi

Last edited by dal20402; 06-27-2019 at 11:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dal20402 For This Useful Post:
EugeneHL (Yesterday), ukrkoz (06-28-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid > Highlander 3rd Gen - Hybrid (XU50/2014-present)