2002 Prius shuts down while driving - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Prius 1st Gen - Hybrid (1997-2003) Toyota Prius Hybrid discussion for years 1997-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-30-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2002 Prius shuts down while driving

On a trip in my 2002 prius on the highway for about 200 miles and 'check engine' and 'triangle of death' lights came on, then lost all power and had to pull over. This had happened before with the lights but didn't lose power. I would just pull over and disconnect/reconnect the battery and the lights would reset, car ran fine.
I did the same thing when the power was lost.
Went to dealer but they could not diagnose because I reset the lights by disconnecting the battery. The service guy there said it was in the battery connections so I removed the battery and cleaned and took voltage readings on every terminal, hybrid battery fine but the car did the same thing.
Waiting now for it to happen again so I can drive/tow car to dealer for diagnosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Welcome to the forums!

Let us know how this turns out.

Robert
post #3 of 3 Old 10-04-2015, 12:35 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by panel1947 View Post
On a trip in my 2002 prius on the highway for about 200 miles and 'check engine' and 'triangle of death' lights came on, then lost all power and had to pull over. This had happened before with the lights but didn't lose power. I would just pull over and disconnect/reconnect the battery and the lights would reset, car ran fine.
I did the same thing when the power was lost.
Went to dealer but they could not diagnose because I reset the lights by disconnecting the battery. The service guy there said it was in the battery connections so I removed the battery and cleaned and took voltage readings on every terminal, hybrid battery fine but the car did the same thing.
Waiting now for it to happen again so I can drive/tow car to dealer for diagnosis.
Hi, I hope your Prius is running OKay since then or did you find problem code(s) or. Publicar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Prius Forum > Prius 1st Gen - Hybrid (1997-2003)