know any hybrid haters? - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Prius 1st Gen - Hybrid (1997-2003) Toyota Prius Hybrid discussion for years 1997-2003.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 Old 06-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidS1045 View Post
He doesn't. He's just repeating a corollary of the widespread urban myth about a Prius taking more natural resources to manufacture than most gas guzzlers.

Thanks for the opportunity to explain myself... and no, this is not at all what I meant.

I wasn't talking about the manufacturing process. Notice how I specifically listed the engines. What I meant by this is that the gas engines in my Prius' create more carbon dioxide than that of my 7.3 Powerstroke. For those who don't know a 7.3, or any Powerstroke for that matter is the Diesel engine Ford selected to put into its Super Duties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 06-23-2015, 03:15 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Well, lets be honest - Diesel engines, especially turbo diesels, are dirty dirty engines. They don't conform to the normal output of a gas engine and as such are exempt from emissions testing as CO and Nox are different. That isn't to say that they aren't dirty polluting engines.

For those that don't know - there's actually a reason that a diesel engine outputs all that black smoke.

A gas engine is regulated by the throttle body. The throttle body lets air in. A gas engine will pull air in (or forced induction, air is forced in) and the engine electronics (or carb based on vacuum) will determine the amount of gas required - keeping it within an appropriate range of stoich, while creating needed power and not running too lean. This system works and gas engine can run at a higher RPM - they are ignited by spark plugs (electronically). They have a controlled flame-front and as such, that's why we regulate the air coming in. As such you hit the "gas" pedal, which the throttle body snaps open and there is a very slight delay in the amount of air vs gas (this is lean) - then the electronics kick in and add additional gas.

A diesel works almost in reverse. There is essentially an open amount of air available and hitting the throttle actually controls how much diesel fuel is being pumped into the engine, regardless of how much it "needs" given the rpm/air available (or being pushed in). Further diesels do not rev as high because they do not use a controlled flame front - it will self ignite based on temperature and compression. This is called "ping" or a chaotic flame front - meaning the spark can occur anywhere in the combustion chamber (this can happen in a gas engine and it's very bad). In any event - diesel engines dump black fumes out because when the driver hits the "gas pedal" the system pumps more fuel through the system before the engine actually needs that much fuel.

A turbo system will always require more fuel - be it a diesel or a gas engine. It's very common for diesel guys to up the turbos and as such require more fuel - this allows them to increase power and tow more (or tow the same amount up steep hills without issue) - usually these increased setups have a computer that controls how much fuel can be delivered or what "level" the driver wants the power to be at (based on turbo pressure and fuel delivered) - coal rollers can essentially manipulate it to dump excessive unburned fuel out the tailpipe.

To say a diesel is cleaner than a gas engine is like saying a stagnant pool of water in the jungle is safer to drink than ocean water.

1) Frame-off "Rusto-Mod" FJ40/350/350 2) 2001 Lexus LX470 3) 2017 Prius V4
post #33 of 39 Old 06-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Official TN Member

I stand corrected. Though my truck is considered an "older" diesel (no cat, no dpf, nothing but a muffler on the exhaust) it doesn't dump really any smoke at all. I have a larger turbo, and upgraded fuel system to accompany it, a chip to regulate fuel/air, a larger exhaust, and a few more mods but my truck doesn't "roll coal." At most my truck will give a small puff while under duress (flooring it, towing). Thanks for clearing it up, I know that no engine was clean but I thought that the difference in cleanliness between gas and diesel was much greater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 08-18-2015, 03:24 PM
srellim234

We just recently bought our Gen II Prius for the gas mileage, dependability and the fact we were in a position we could pay cash for it. We already use it primarily to go see reachable family on the weekends (106 miles to our son's family and 120 miles to one of my wife's sisters). Next summer we'll be making trips to Colorado Springs and Denver as well as the Salt Lake City area, all to visit family.

We're averaging 50mpg out on the high desert and we don't worry about the car getting us there. Quite frankly I don't care what anyone else drives, just that this vehicle works exceptionally well for us.

My conservative driving style is what irritates the impatient. No matter what I'm driving you'll usually see me over in the right lane with the trucks, cruising along at anywhere from the actual speed limit to 3 mph over.
post #35 of 39 Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 PM
2002 Ford Focus SE

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Didn't realize the age of the thread, but hybrid hatred is because of the "smug factor"

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...&search=Search -

https://web.archive.org/web/20150416...1002script.htm

and yes, it isn't the cars, but the attitudes of "some" of the owners ...

2016 Hyundai Accent, 10K miles - Toyota Friend ...
post #36 of 39 Old 08-18-2015, 05:27 PM
srellim234

I realized the last post before mine was a couple of months old but figured I'd throw my two cents worth in anyway. Coming from a couple of other automotive forums I'm finding this one is pretty dead.

You're right about driver attitude. That smugness was the same we used to see in Cadillac and BMW drivers who drove as if saying, "Well, yes, as a matter of fact I DO own the whole road."

I recall a few years ago, too, hearing my friends complain about Prius drivers who would hold up traffic behind them trying to accelerate while using only the electric motor. Those Prius drivers had very little consideration for others.
post #37 of 39 Old 08-19-2015, 07:44 AM
2002 Ford Focus SE

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srellim234 View Post
Coming from a couple of other automotive forums I'm finding this one is pretty dead.
I'm assuming you are just referring to the hybrid forum.

I'm a member of several forums - focusfanatics, Hyundai-forums, priuschat, fiestafaction, etc., and overall, I'd say TN is more active than any of them.

Then again - I tend to follow ALL of TN and the forum makes it simple to do that ...

2016 Hyundai Accent, 10K miles - Toyota Friend ...
post #38 of 39 Old 08-19-2015, 04:49 PM
srellim234

Spot on with the assumption. I figured the Echo part of this forum would be dead because there are so few of them out there. Priuschat is a little busier with the hybrid stuff. The other one I used to frequent a bunch was NICOclub when I had a Nissan Versa. I still pop over there on rare occasions and find them pretty active.
post #39 of 39 Old 02-10-2016, 10:26 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I realize I am late to post this. We have a red 2010 Prius that has been the best vehicle we have ever owned, but definitely didn't buy it as a political statement. Here in the reddest state of all, Oklahoma, our car has been keyed so many times that the paint is ruined. Seems particularly bad now that the low price of oil has wrecked out state economy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Prius Forum > Prius 1st Gen - Hybrid (1997-2003)