2002 prius - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Prius 1st Gen - Hybrid (1997-2003) Toyota Prius Hybrid discussion for years 1997-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-04-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2002 prius

Help! I have a 2002 prius that is dead after sitting for 4 months. We replaced the aux battery 22 months ago. Car sat for 4 months. Took it to the dealer and 1st they replaced the aux battery. Draws the charge off to 0 overnight. Now after saying it might be the alternator? they now tell me it is the hybrid battery drawing down the charge on the aux Battery. I thought they were independent of each other. One to start the vehicle and the hybrid to run the vehicle. They want $2899. to replace the hybrid battery in addition to $390. for the aux battery they replaced. My prius only has a blue book value of $2500. can't see spending more than it is worth to fix it. Can the hybrid battery be recharged? Any help or suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by zinum; 09-04-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The hybrid battery can be replaced with one from a junk yard, or one that has been rebuilt. Rebuilding usually means they examine each cell and replace only the ones that are bad.

It takes special handling as the battery has enough power to kill you.

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...y-as-you-think
post #3 of 3 Old 09-15-2013, 12:50 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Man, that is a good one! Yeah, that 240V battery is just sucking the life right out of that 12V battery!

The 12V battery (or system) operates big relays that bring the HV battery on line when the ignition is turned on. The HV battery supplies power to the inverter/converter, which in turn recharges the 12V battery. When the ignition is turned off, the HV battery is isolated and cannot possibly pull power out of the 12V battery.

HOWEVER! If the inverter has a problem (that I have never heard of) it is conceivable that it could deplete the 12V battery. The cost for the inverter is comparable to the HV battery, so it is possible that someone has mixed up the two and that that is where the problem lies.

I would recommend a 2nd opinion from a different dealer, if possible. The likelihood of finding and independent with sufficient HV training and tooling is pretty sim!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Prius Forum > Prius 1st Gen - Hybrid (1997-2003)