Multifunction display failure - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Prius 2nd Gen - Hybrid (2004-2009) Toyota Prius Hybrid discussion for years 2004-2009.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question MFD Fixed but Problem Returned

It turns out this was an problem with a fuse. My wife called AAA for some other problem. The driver noticed that the MFD was out. He cleaned off and re-insterted some fuse and the MFD came back on.

The MFD had been working fine after that until the other day when it started going off and and and exhibiting other strange behavior. Right now it is staying solid white. Could this be a fuse problem?

For the original problem, I thought it might be fuse, but it's not clear from the manual which fuse:

Quote:
7 ECU-IG 7.5 A
Smart key system, power windows,
touch screen, electric power

steering, theft deterrent system
or
13 ECU-B 15 A
Touch screen, power windows, air
conditioning system
or
16 PANEL 7.5 A
Touch screen, clock, audio system,
instrument panel lights
or
20 ACC 7.5 A Audio system, touch screen, clock
And why would only the MFD go out when each of the fuses support multiple components?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 11-03-2014, 09:40 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahspip View Post
I have an '04 Prius with 85,000 miles on it and liked the car immensely -- until the multifunction display failed. Actually it fails intermittently -- all of the functions still work -- I just can't get to them all the time. It turns out that this failure is not uncommon to my year and early '05's but not afterward. The car is outside of warranty and I do not have an extended warranty. This component is an electronic component, though, so wear and tear to it is virtually unrelated to the age or mileage on the car. Its like a car radio failing. A radio failing at 85,000 miles or earlier would be very strange. Especially if a significant number of them failed -- in or out of warranty -- the manufacturer would acknowledge a defect and replace them for free. You would think Toyota in particular would step up to protect its reputation. However, Toyota has not formally acknowledged that this is a manufacturer's defect according to my dealer, who wants $4,000 to replace it. I heard that refurbished units are available for something like $500 and my dealer came down to $2,000. I'm very disappointed. Anyone else on this forum have a similar experience? Know how I can get Toyota to notice?
Our 2008 Prius display went out after 2000 miles! What a shock. Lots of things are controlled there. Replaced under new car warranty . Fine after that.
post #33 of 39 Old 11-07-2014, 12:05 PM
New TN User

I finally gave in and replaced the MFD on my 2009 Prius. The part went down to $1400 (dealership price) from over $5000. It's still high, but I was missing the Bluetooth, backup camera, and the ability to change CDs and make some AC settings. And, most annoying, my audio would go on and off based on the state of the MFD. Least important was the Nav system. I use Waze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 11-29-2014, 10:13 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have this issue with my '01 Land Cruiser, The only symptom I have is that the Climate controls don't work. When I press any climate related button, I receive an error "Check the Connection of Air Conditioner".

I've be researching this issue for weeks, and finally decided that the MFD was the issue. $2000 later, I've replaced the MFD and I receive the same error. I'm at a bit of a loss here. Does the system need a "reset" after the new MFD installation?
post #35 of 39 Old 12-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbuckner View Post
I have this issue with my '01 Land Cruiser, The only symptom I have is that the Climate controls don't work. When I press any climate related button, I receive an error "Check the Connection of Air Conditioner".

I've be researching this issue for weeks, and finally decided that the MFD was the issue. $2000 later, I've replaced the MFD and I receive the same error. I'm at a bit of a loss here. Does the system need a "reset" after the new MFD installation?

I looked for a thread in the Land Cruiser forum page to transfer you to for better input; however, found none related. I'll leave this here in case someone has an idea for you; however, you might want to start a thread over there with this question.....
post #36 of 39 Old 12-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Hybrid Repair Shop Owner

Good used Prius MFD's (aka touchscreen, info screen) are all over Ebay for under $500, just make sure you get the correct one for your car. (Call dealer parts department and ask them part number and price for your VIN).

It takes me 10 minutes to replace, first timers may need 45 minutes. Any car stereo shop can swap it out, no need to go to the dealer and pay $1500 or more.
post #37 of 39 Old 12-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Hybrid Repair Shop Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbuckner View Post

If you installed an aftermarket radio you may need to add a resistor to the wiring harness. I know it's required on Prius with aftermarket radio in order for climate controls to work.
post #38 of 39 Old 03-03-2019, 11:07 PM
New TN User

Hi:
I have a 2004 Land Cruiser, with same problem as you, regarding the MFD.
Did you ever find a solution? Greatly appreciate hearing you solved this problem.
I get the same "Check the connection of the air conditioner" msg-- and my heat, AC and oustide temp display do not work.
Thanks-
post #39 of 39 Old 03-04-2019, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
This is 5 year old thread in Prius forum.
Turning it into Land Cruiser discussion is thread hijacking.

Please, refer to appropriate Land Cruiser forums.
Thread closed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Prius Forum > Prius 2nd Gen - Hybrid (2004-2009)