Thoughts on this 2013 Toyota Prius and about them in general? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Prius 3rd Gen - Hybrid (2010-2015) Toyota Prius Hybrid discussion for years 2010-2015.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-02-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Thoughts on this 2013 Toyota Prius and about them in general?

I have an old high school friend acquaintance who's mom is selling her elderly parents 2013 Toyota Prius. The pictures show it in almost perfect condition. It only has 32,899 miles on it. It's a 4 Cylinder Hatch Back. They bought it 2 years ago and only have driven 5000 miles on it in those 2 years. They bought it with 25,000 miles on it. They are asking $12,500 for it. They don't know about the previous owners but it's never been in a wreck from their ownership of it. The only problem with it is it's like this sea glass pearl green color that I'm not totally in love with and in addition, I'm wondering if a Prius is more of a female looking car. Might I look odd as a male driving it?

So should I pursue it more do you think? I don't know much about Prius at all...I've only had Camrys or Avalons. Your thoughts? Are these good cars, etc.? What does a hybrid mean? What's the differences between Prius and regular cars like Camrys or Avalons? Does it take normal regular gas, etc.

Thanks.

Last edited by jagsfan05; 09-02-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-03-2018, 07:58 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
A Prius is a "Hybrid" automobile.
It has a large battery and additional electric motors that a traditional auto does not have.
The technology enables Prius' to get excellent gas mileage (50mph+).
Consumer Reports rates Prius as one of the most reliable cars.
The Hybrid system is warranted at least 10 years so you're good on that part until 2023.
The downside is if you do have a problem you need someone who understands and is skilled
in hybrids. Repairs of anything electronic can be expensive but the electronics has been generally
reliable in Prius.
As far as price advice I'll pass.
J
post #3 of 14 Old 09-03-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks so much for your reply and thoughts. That helps me! In regards to passing on the price question...what's your reason? Because you aren't sure if that's a fair price or you think it's not a good price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-03-2018, 10:40 AM
Official TN Member

I don't know what a fair price would be. That's all.
I would direct you to KBB or Edmunds for a vehicle valuation.
www.kbb.com
www.edmunds.com
J
post #5 of 14 Old 09-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Have them take it to carmax and see what they offer, then match the price if you want it. Takes 30 minutes.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-03-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks again guys! Also, for the 2013 Toyota Prius I noticed that there are different "configurations/styles" such as One, Two, Three, Four, Five...what does that mean? This one is a Four she mentioned just curious what the differences are between them all.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
you would have to read up on trim level details, I believe the prius v is a "station wagon prius" and they get lower MPG. the 4 is a great car, for what you are getting it for should deliver 200-400k of mostly trouble free miles. in my area that car trade in value is $12,000 and mint condition high retail is $15.5K. they are asking a very fair price, its a good enough looking car. it takes regular gas and normal and very little maintenance. maybe just go look, see and drive it to make sure you want a smaller car than what you are used to........ Its alot different than an Avalon or Camry.

maybe tell your friend to add $3000.00 to selling price if you dont jump on the deal, its easily worth the price if you can live with the small car situation. It would be a cash saver for sure.

you gotta drive the car and see if you like it before any thing else matters.
I'd buy it and flip it were it anywhere near me.

[B]K.P.

2006 Camry LE 2.4L
15th or 20th toyota
post #8 of 14 Old 09-03-2018, 12:36 PM
M70
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Here are my thoughts . I would never buy a used Hybrid of any brand just because of how expensive the repairs can be. Not everyone benefits from the hybrid technology . Have a mechanic look this over before you commit to the purchase . Do a web search for vehicle road test of this thing and see what reporters who write about cars have to say.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-06-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Hmm..I seem to be getting different levels of opinion on whether this is a good deal or not which scares me. I'm having it test driven by someone else and looked at by a mechanic today.

One other thing that bothers me is that I don't have a Carfax or vehicle history report in terms of accidents to find out. Of course I can pay like $40 for a Carfax to find out accident history but I'm not sure if I want to pay the money or not to do that and was hoping there would be another way to find out about these things. I went to a site called www.vehiclehistory.com and typed in the VIN and it was the only free car report that said "0 accidents". But I'm not sure if that's believeable or not? If it is, then I'm fine and rest assured with that but if not...that's where I'm left wondering.

Also, does this thing have 2 batteries I think from what I read? Or am I mistaken on that? I know it has 2 engines but also wondering about the 2 batteries thing.

UPDATE: Ok so my dad checked out the car and took it to his local mechanic. The car had a few scratches on the bumper but nothing too major. In terms of the maintenance, the mechanic said the front 2 tires are very worn and needs an alignment (dad noticed the steering wheel veered to the right while driving it). But the mechanic said the alignment would completely fix the steering wheel veering to the right issue. The mechanic also noticed a nail in the front right tire. But other than that the mechanic said the car looked great mechanically.

Also, I forgot to mention that the owner has the extended warranty on the vehicle and that if I want the extended warranty I would have to pay an additional $700 to transfer it (so $13,200 instead of $12,500). She said the extended warranty is for 5 years or 95,000 more miles on it. That would mean I would have to go to the Toyota dealership to have it transferred over.....but should I do that? What is included in an extended warranty and what all does that mean?

So what do you guys think....also do you think it's worth being able to ask them to knock off like $500-600 for the 2 new tires and alignment? What's fair? Does this sound like a good deal in all to you guys?

Last edited by jagsfan05; 09-06-2018 at 07:48 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-07-2018, 08:37 AM
Official TN Member

There is no cost to transfer a TOYOTA Extended Service Agreement.
See Attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-07_083215.png
Views:	31
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	224064  
post #11 of 14 Old 09-07-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I know already that there is no cost to transfer the extended warranty.

Another update...I spoke to the sellers of the vehicle today about one of the front tires having a nail in it, the two front tires been very worn down and needing replacing and the alignment issue that's causing the steering wheel to veer to the right. They mentioned they could bring the price down $200 (so $12,300 instead of $12,500 or with extended warranty for $13,000 instead of $13,200) because that's how much they were quoted would be the cost of 2 new tires and I could get it fixed on my own after the purchase. But they wouldn't bring it down more for the price of the alignment. They also mentioned they fixed the nail in the tire issue today. I also brought up the 12V battery probably going out soon because from what I've read, it lasts 4-6 years and they have never replaced it. So if it's a 2013, this year would be 5 years...but she didn't seem willing to want to replace the 12V battery which I understand and wasn't expecting.

Last edited by jagsfan05; 09-07-2018 at 09:23 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-09-2018, 02:22 AM
Diehard Rams Fan

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Thanked 1,334 Times in 1,204 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsfan05 View Post
Yeah I know already that there is no cost to transfer the extended warranty.

Another update...I spoke to the sellers of the vehicle today about one of the front tires having a nail in it, the two front tires been very worn down and needing replacing and the alignment issue that's causing the steering wheel to veer to the right. They mentioned they could bring the price down $200 (so $12,300 instead of $12,500 or with extended warranty for $13,000 instead of $13,200) because that's how much they were quoted would be the cost of 2 new tires and I could get it fixed on my own after the purchase. But they wouldn't bring it down more for the price of the alignment. They also mentioned they fixed the nail in the tire issue today. I also brought up the 12V battery probably going out soon because from what I've read, it lasts 4-6 years and they have never replaced it. So if it's a 2013, this year would be 5 years...but she didn't seem willing to want to replace the 12V battery which I understand and wasn't expecting.
I own a 2010 Prius III and my wife and I love it. It has 96k miles without any issues and has been uber reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this Prius for a moment. It's a great car and the price is excellent. I wouldn't worry about the extended warranty as these cars will go 200k-400k miles without any problems. The 12V battery is just like any other car. I still have the original in my Prius and it's 3 years older then yours. It's very simple to replace. Sounds like the tire and alignment issue is nothing that can't easily be dealt with so go buy it! The color may not be your first choice but buying used it's better to get a gem of a car like this on that you found.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl
post #13 of 14 Old 09-10-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
I own a 2010 Prius III and my wife and I love it. It has 96k miles without any issues and has been uber reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this Prius for a moment. It's a great car and the price is excellent. I wouldn't worry about the extended warranty as these cars will go 200k-400k miles without any problems. The 12V battery is just like any other car. I still have the original in my Prius and it's 3 years older then yours. It's very simple to replace. Sounds like the tire and alignment issue is nothing that can't easily be dealt with so go buy it! The color may not be your first choice but buying used it's better to get a gem of a car like this on that you found.
Thanks so much, that really helps me a lot. My only concern with these vehicles though is the bigger hybrid battery going out and it costing around $2000-4000? Just because I heard for some people it went out around 150,000-200,000 miles/12-15 years on average no? But others have also said it's more like 8-10 years? I've never owned a hybrid before and that kinda worries me too because of fear of not knowing how they operate compared to a normal vehicle and such. Also, how has your 12V battery still not run out? I read on average they last 4-6 years and yours is on 8 years? Isn't that unheard of?

I called about what the extended warranty covers and they said it only has this left on it:

1.) Extended Warranty (7 year/100,000 platinum plan with roadside assistance. Covers all components other than wear and tear items & including regular powertrain warranty but in addition comprehensive and everything else including electronics, AC, power window, suspension, steering, brakes, etc. (expires July 2020) 12V batterys not included, Alignments not included
2.) Extended Warranty (Scheduled Maintenance plan 6 year/55,000 covers every 5,000 miles, tire rotation, oil changes, brakes (expires July 2019)

They told me that if I didn't purchase and transfer the Extended Warranty though that I would still be allowed to use the warranty for the hybrid system which is 8 year/100,000 miles. This includes the larger hybrid battery, charging and anything dealing with the hybrid system.

The thing I'm confused and trying to figure out though is that if I don't purchase the Extended Warranty would I also still be given the 7 year/100,000 basic powertrain warranty which covers only like the transmission, engine and rear axle. This is different than #1 above because it's just basic and doesn't include electronics and comprehensive. I'm getting told two different things from customer service. One person said it would transfer to me even if I didn't buy the extended warranty while another person at the dealership where they purchased the warranty/car said it wouldn't transfer to me if I didn't purchase the extended warranty and I would forfeit this as well. Also, so in other words the seller didn't know what she was talking about when she said the extended warranty had 5 years/95,000 miles left on extended warranty because that doesn't make sense, lol.

EDIT: I called Financial Services for main Toyota number and he said the basic 7 year/100,000 powertrain warranty would stay with the vehicle even if I didn't buy the extended warranty so the person at the dealership didn't know what he was talking about apparently.

I'm leaning towards not purchasing the extended warranty if I proceed with getting the vehicle. Also, I noticed some people from other places mentioned it might not be worth the purchase if I don't drive it a ton...which I probably wouldn't drive it a crazy amount but just a normal amount...so is that a concern? Also another concern is that the sellers of this vehicle is an elderly couple. They purchased the vehicle 2 years ago and have literally only driven it 5000 miles in the past 2 years...and I hear not driving it a lot is a killer on the larger, HV battery. So that concerns me, no?

Last edited by jagsfan05; 09-10-2018 at 11:48 AM.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-10-2018, 09:06 PM
Diehard Rams Fan

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Thanked 1,334 Times in 1,204 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsfan05 View Post
Thanks so much, that really helps me a lot. My only concern with these vehicles though is the bigger hybrid battery going out and it costing around $2000-4000? Just because I heard for some people it went out around 150,000-200,000 miles/12-15 years on average no? But others have also said it's more like 8-10 years? I've never owned a hybrid before and that kinda worries me too because of fear of not knowing how they operate compared to a normal vehicle and such. Also, how has your 12V battery still not run out? I read on average they last 4-6 years and yours is on 8 years? Isn't that unheard of?

I called about what the extended warranty covers and they said it only has this left on it:

1.) Extended Warranty (7 year/100,000 platinum plan with roadside assistance. Covers all components other than wear and tear items & including regular powertrain warranty but in addition comprehensive and everything else including electronics, AC, power window, suspension, steering, brakes, etc. (expires July 2020) 12V batterys not included, Alignments not included
2.) Extended Warranty (Scheduled Maintenance plan 6 year/55,000 covers every 5,000 miles, tire rotation, oil changes, brakes (expires July 2019)

They told me that if I didn't purchase and transfer the Extended Warranty though that I would still be allowed to use the warranty for the hybrid system which is 8 year/100,000 miles. This includes the larger hybrid battery, charging and anything dealing with the hybrid system.

The thing I'm confused and trying to figure out though is that if I don't purchase the Extended Warranty would I also still be given the 7 year/100,000 basic powertrain warranty which covers only like the transmission, engine and rear axle. This is different than #1 above because it's just basic and doesn't include electronics and comprehensive. I'm getting told two different things from customer service. One person said it would transfer to me even if I didn't buy the extended warranty while another person at the dealership where they purchased the warranty/car said it wouldn't transfer to me if I didn't purchase the extended warranty and I would forfeit this as well. Also, so in other words the seller didn't know what she was talking about when she said the extended warranty had 5 years/95,000 miles left on extended warranty because that doesn't make sense, lol.

EDIT: I called Financial Services for main Toyota number and he said the basic 7 year/100,000 powertrain warranty would stay with the vehicle even if I didn't buy the extended warranty so the person at the dealership didn't know what he was talking about apparently.

I'm leaning towards not purchasing the extended warranty if I proceed with getting the vehicle. Also, I noticed some people from other places mentioned it might not be worth the purchase if I don't drive it a ton...which I probably wouldn't drive it a crazy amount but just a normal amount...so is that a concern? Also another concern is that the sellers of this vehicle is an elderly couple. They purchased the vehicle 2 years ago and have literally only driven it 5000 miles in the past 2 years...and I hear not driving it a lot is a killer on the larger, HV battery. So that concerns me, no?
The main hybrid battery is pretty good for at least 15 years for most people. I've honestly not heard of any common hybrid battery issues. Do some fail? Sure they do but it's very rare. And to replace them now it can be done through the aftermarket for $700-$1k. Hybrids are so common now that replacement batteries are getting cheaper all the time. It can even be done pretty easily too. I watched some You Tube videos on it being done and how simple it is. Don't be concerned.

As far as my 12V battery some last longer then others. When it starts to slow down I'll swap it out. It's very simple as most 12V batteries are replace. Some last 2 years and some will last 10 years.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl
post #15 of 14 Old 09-11-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks again for your reply buddy! 15 years though on the hybrid battery...are you sure? Because one person I heard on a Toyota Prius forum said literally 8-10 years on average. That means if it's a 2013, it would possibly fail in 2021 which is only 3 years from now...that's what has me hesitant.

Also, I know nothing about cars and definitely wouldn't be comfortable installing my own hybrid battery.

Also, just in general is it hard to own and operate this vehicle if you have little knowledge to hybrid vehicles? I would assume so because the previous owners of this vehicle is a pair of old people...I just would want to know as much as I could about it but I have limited knowledge.

Also I looked up the values of this car for the area and it's as shows:

- KBB Value: $15,200 - $16,008
- Edmunds: $13,000
- Nada: $15,500

Unfortunately, the car is 3 hours away so I need to make a decision within the next day or so on whether to make the drive there or not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Prius Forum > Prius 3rd Gen - Hybrid (2010-2015)