2017 Prius Prime Advanced shortcomings - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Prius 4th Gen - Hybrid (2016+) Toyota Prius Hybrid discussion for years 2016-present.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2017 Prius Prime Advanced shortcomings

I recently purchased a Prius Prime Advanced and am enjoying its fuel economy and EV driving mode. I currently have ~6k miles in a bit under 4 months. The more I have driven it there are several shortcomings that have emerged.

1. The maps in the Navigation system at the time of purchase were 12 months old! Recently I had the car into the dealer for its 5k service and inquired about a map update. I was told there was not yet an update available for this vehicle. WTF, map updates are specific to the vehicle? I live in an area with a lot of new construction, it may be several years before the Navigation system can locate my home or the surrounding streets.

Having read the navigation manual, I still don't understand how traffic conditions are updated and displayed/communicated to the driver. Occasionally I get a pop up on the screen informing me that traffic conditions have changed/updated. Nothing on my route appears to change as a result of this new data.

Thank God for WAZE which is updated constantly. It does a better job of navigation due to these updates (2 days after moving into an newly constructed development I had directions from my driveway to a destination). WAZE does a better job of advising of traffic issues on the route ahead by turning the route yellow or red. Too bad I can't get the Prius to use WAZE instead of the Toyota navigation system.

2. Many of the advanced features only work with the Apple iOs protocol (iPhone). Hey Toyota, not everybody has an iPhone! In recent phone activations, Android phones outnumber iPhones approx. 2 to 1. The MP3 player on an Android phone is NOT compatible with many of the Prius' systems. This is very disappointing as I have a large music library that I would like to play in my car. I recently researched this online only to discover that there is not currently a solution to this issue.

3. Lack of sun visor extensions. What no extensions? The visors are barely adequate in the forward position, but when moved to the side they are totally inadequate. There is about 10" where the sun can shine in over one's shoulder which can be very annoying and distracting at times. Every vehicle I've owned in the past 20+ years has had some type of sun visor extension. This was easily resolved with the purchase of an aftermarket product, but is was $25 I should not have had to spend!

Before you ask, Yes I have communicated these issues to Toyota via their quality survey.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?
Have you resolved any of these issues?
Has anyone experienced other issues with their Prius Prime?
Have you had any success resolving your issues?

I would love to hear from others.

Easy Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-05-2018, 10:22 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sorry, EasyEd, I can't be of help. I would love to rip the nav out of mine and just keep the satellite radio. First, the nav can't be manipulated on the move. Second, it is strictly for routing, not traffic. I got off a freeway due to a traffic accident, and tried to set the nav for home. It promptly told me to get right back onto the freeway I just got off of. I then set the map in my phone to my zip code. My phone then played through the car speaker, routing me south instead of north, onto a different freeway, and home 1/2 hour sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Prius Forum > Prius 4th Gen - Hybrid (2016+)