1990 Camry ALL TRAC Rear Struts? - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 1st & 2nd Gen (1983-1986) & (1987-1991) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1983-1986 & 1987-1991. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 Old 12-16-2016, 05:34 PM
Toyota Collector

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,283 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
This Part Also Fits: [many links]

No it doesn't every link you posted states 4WD Camry. Either way the struts are no longer available from Toyota.

2000 Lexus ES300 Millenium Edition
1990 Camry LE V6 Anniversary Edition 5-Speed
1990 Camry LE V6 WAGON
1987 Camry LE I4 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 12-16-2016, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Cut and paste from Toyota Parts site:

I purposely wanted to know if there was a difference in listed OEM part numbers for the rear struts on a 1990 Camry LE and DLX that were front wheel drive. When I went to the Toyota parts lookup, I listed a rear strut part number for a 1990 Camry DLX FWD... it came back with the same parts diagram and the same part number as the strut for the ALL TRAC.

This simply confirmed what I was finding in my parts search for the ALL TRAC. I can find struts listed for the FWD DLX but not the ALL TRAC. I was wondering what the difference would be between the two cars.... and as it turns out, there is no difference according to the OEM parts finder search engine. That tells me that a strut listed as a suitable replacement for a FWD Camry will work in an ALL TRAC too...

Flawed logic? What say you?

Link to toyota: http://parts.olathetoyota.com/toyota...art_name=strut
post #18 of 25 Old 12-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Toyota Collector

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,283 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
You can go ahead and buy the FWD struts but this will happen -
Quote:
Originally Posted by white90dx View Post
I have owned 2 FWD and 2 Alltrac Camrys. I have personally replaced struts both types. You will be very disappointed if you buy FWD parts for your Alltrac.

-Charlie

2000 Lexus ES300 Millenium Edition
1990 Camry LE V6 Anniversary Edition 5-Speed
1990 Camry LE V6 WAGON
1987 Camry LE I4 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 Old 12-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Do not buy FWD REAR struts for your alltrac. They won't fit. The alltrac struts are shorter to clear the axle.

If I could have fit fwd Camry struts I would have.

I'll look up the parts number in the Toyota computer later if that will convince you

1988 Camry Alltrac LE 5speed

Last edited by TheFlyingDutchman; 12-16-2016 at 06:24 PM.
post #20 of 25 Old 12-16-2016, 06:13 PM
3s-gte in a Camry?!?

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekgearguru View Post
I purposely wanted to know if there was a difference in listed OEM part numbers for the rear struts on a 1990 Camry LE and DLX that were front wheel drive. When I went to the Toyota parts lookup, I listed a rear strut part number for a 1990 Camry DLX FWD... it came back with the same parts diagram and the same part number as the strut for the ALL TRAC.

This simply confirmed what I was finding in my parts search for the ALL TRAC. I can find struts listed for the FWD DLX but not the ALL TRAC. I was wondering what the difference would be between the two cars.... and as it turns out, there is no difference according to the OEM parts finder search engine. That tells me that a strut listed as a suitable replacement for a FWD Camry will work in an ALL TRAC too...

Flawed logic? What say you?

Link to toyota: http://parts.olathetoyota.com/toyota...art_name=strut
The OEM part numbers are different. Not sure why, but that particular PN look up has wrong (or, at the very least, confusing) information.

I have personally held both types in my hands. The Alltrac (rear) struts have a different length, lower mounting points, brake line mounting points, spring seat, etc.

-Charlie

89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE
99 4Runner SR5 4WD
08 Outback XT
Previous: 88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, 03 WRX Wagon
post #21 of 25 Old 01-06-2017, 08:17 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a new set of camry all trac rear struts KYB NOS you need them ?
post #22 of 25 Old 05-28-2019, 11:08 PM
LewdSage

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a stock alltrac 89, and I want to lower it. From what I can tell the stock shocks for the Celica and Camry are the same, so could i just buy a coilover conversion kit for the Celica and use it on oem alltrac Camry struts?
post #23 of 25 Old 05-29-2019, 05:17 PM
CRESSIDA!!!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
The struts for the Camry All-Trac are discontinued, but the ones for Celica All-Tracís arenít?

1990 Toyota Camry LE 3S-FE.
1994 Toyota Pickup DX 22R-E
post #24 of 25 Old 05-31-2019, 12:03 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewdSage View Post
I have a stock alltrac 89, and I want to lower it. From what I can tell the stock shocks for the Celica and Camry are the same, so could i just buy a coilover conversion kit for the Celica and use it on oem alltrac Camry struts?
Yes, coilover conversion kits are fairly generic. They replace just springs on your struts. The attachment points to spindle remains specific for your model car because you're re-using the same struts.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...ica-conversion

Notice that they all look the same? The only difference is diameter of sleeve, spring-rate and top-hat dimensions. You'll want to contact them about spring-rates that would best fit your All-trac. They even offer a service now where you send in your old struts and they convert them to coilovers using Koni's double-adjustable inserts (both rebound & compression damping is adjustable independently). This is better than 99.999% of coilovers on market except for Ohlins or Penske!!!

post #25 of 25 Old 06-02-2019, 01:19 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewdSage View Post
I've got the Ground Control coilover conversion kit. I'm not especially impressed, but it does work, and (from talking to other people) it seems like maybe I got a bum set.

• IIRC there are some minor differences between the upper part of the shock shaft (Celica Alltrac <-> Camry Alltrac). I had to modify the upper spring perches that came with the kit.
  • If you're using 2.5" springs you will want an upper spring perch for the rear.
  • If you want to do it well you'll want to cut off the stock spring perches and weld on retaining rings for the new sleeves.
Don't forget that the rear shocks are NLA - so you are going to need to figure something out eventually. Unless you're planning on converting to insert cartridges I'd recommend you think about this now. You don't want to sink $$ into a coilover kit and then get stuck with blown shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Cressida View Post
The struts for the Camry All-Trac are discontinued, but the ones for Celica All-Tracís arenít?
FYI, as far as I know all OE replacement rear All-Trac struts are discontinued. You can buy various coilovers from the usual suspects, but not any big names.

1988 Camry Alltrac LE 5speed

Last edited by TheFlyingDutchman; 06-02-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 1st & 2nd Gen (1983-1986) & (1987-1991)