Code 26 - Page 6 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 1st & 2nd Gen (1983-1986) & (1987-1991) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1983-1986 & 1987-1991. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 82 Old 03-26-2019, 10:34 AM
3s-gte in a Camry?!?

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
You can try unplugging and re-plugging the O2 sensor connector(s) and the ECU connectors. Also, check the harness below the throttle body where it passes by the EGR tube - sometimes that can burn a hole in the insulation and cause problems.

-Charlie

89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE
99 4Runner SR5 4WD
08 Outback XT
Previous: 88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, 03 WRX Wagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 82 Old 03-26-2019, 01:43 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
When was the last time the plugs were changed, or checked? The color of the plugs will tell you if it is lean, normal, rich for any given cylinder.

Although you changed the EGR, did you check to see if the EGR tube wasn't blocked within the pipe whilest doing the EGR work?

As for the bouncing idle speed, the throttle body should be taken apart and cleaned so the plate is clean and not sticking or blocking flow.
post #78 of 82 Old 05-05-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swegmike View Post
When was the last time the plugs were changed, or checked? The color of the plugs will tell you if it is lean, normal, rich for any given cylinder.

Although you changed the EGR, did you check to see if the EGR tube wasn't blocked within the pipe whilest doing the EGR work?

As for the bouncing idle speed, the throttle body should be taken apart and cleaned so the plate is clean and not sticking or blocking flow.
Hello, late reply sorry! My plugs were changed last service (last year) with ngk iridiums, and wires/ distributor were changed with oem Toyota parts.
Egr tube was cleaned, and all ports checked.
Throttle plate was cleaned when I had to change throttle body gasket.

Most everything was ok until recently when I threw a code 27 (CA emissions only).
I'm assuming it's because I took off the catalytic converter, though I did do the 90° bend spark plug no fouler trick. Just hoping it isn't the o2 sensor wire that's just kinda dangling under my car...
I think the code 26 is from my main o2 sensor having a bad connection. I hate Bosch stuff now lol.

1990 Toyota Camry LE (150,000 miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 82 Old 05-06-2019, 03:48 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
If hitting bump caused code to come back, that's just confirmation you've got wiring problem somewhere. Nothing to do with the parts. It's wiring in between. We already know that from the -0.1v output from O2-sensor. Replacing O2-sensor won't do thing (don't kill messenger). There's a frayed wire somewhere that's touching something that it shouldn't be. With all previous wrangling, the short may have been moved away, but bump just moved it back into contact.

Many failures occur at where wire goes into connector. This causes stress-riser and any movement of wire (bumps, wind, etc.) will eventually cause wire to break internally where it goes into connector. If you've got a coax cable, this causes inner signal wire to short out on outer braid. Again, not visible to eye, but can be detected and measured with multimeter.
post #80 of 82 Old 05-06-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
If hitting bump caused code to come back, that's just confirmation you've got wiring problem somewhere. Nothing to do with the parts. It's wiring in between. We already know that from the -0.1v output from O2-sensor. Replacing O2-sensor won't do thing (don't kill messenger). There's a frayed wire somewhere that's touching something that it shouldn't be. With all previous wrangling, the short may have been moved away, but bump just moved it back into contact.

Many failures occur at where wire goes into connector. This causes stress-riser and any movement of wire (bumps, wind, etc.) will eventually cause wire to break internally where it goes into connector. If you've got a coax cable, this causes inner signal wire to short out on outer braid. Again, not visible to eye, but can be detected and measured with multimeter.
Actually I think I didn't tighten my manifold flange good, I saw a tiny bit of smoke on startup. So it might be throwing off my o2 sensor readings lol! I have to re tighten the bolts.
Do you happen to know the torque for the exhaust manifold to down pipe bolts? On the tri bolt flange

post #81 of 82 Old 05-07-2019, 08:52 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Don't know off-hand, I'd say about 27-33 lb•ft should do.
post #82 of 82 Old 05-13-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Don't know off-hand, I'd say about 27-33 lb•ft should do.
Thanks, retightened everything, and its all good now.
Also tested if putting a cat delete with a 90° anti fouler bung would throw a CEL, which it did unfortunately haha.

I need to fix up my exhaust though, increasing pipe size means more problem areas for fitment lol..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 1st & 2nd Gen (1983-1986) & (1987-1991)