Bogging in 3rd - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 1st & 2nd Gen (1983-1986) & (1987-1991) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1983-1986 & 1987-1991. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By white90dx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-16-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Bogging in 3rd

Hey, so my car tends to bog down when shifting into 3rd gear (automatic) during the first 5 minutes or so of driving. It's been doing this for quite a while but I haven't been quite sure of the problem.

I'm assuming its trans related since its only in 3rd, and if I gas it a little bit it goes away.
Should I look into dropping the pan and replacing the fluid and filter? (thinking oem filter if possible and RP trans fluid) It was last changed about a year and a half ago by my dad, but it felt like that made it worse (Idk why but it seemed like it). Filter was whatever they had at autozone and the fluid was dexIII (valvoline or mobile I cant remember).
I don't think it is ignition related since everything was replaced about 5k miles ago (wires, plugs, distributor, etc.) I was also told that my valves will need adjusting sometime in the future but I don't think its that either.

It's not something super pressing at the moment, but I figure that it might come back to bite me if I don't properly check it out. (Though if the transmission goes it gives me more motivation to finish my 5spd swap )

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

1990 Toyota Camry LE (150,000 miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-18-2019, 10:51 AM
3s-gte in a Camry?!?

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
There's a chance this is a fluid level issue. The level should be right at the top 'Hot' mark on the dipstick. Drive for 10+ miles (around town as much as possible), park the car on a level surface, leave the engine running, go down and back up through each gear, leaving it in each for a couple seconds, then leave the car idling in Park. Check the trans level then. If it is noticeably low or high, it can cause shifting issues.

-Charlie

89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE
99 4Runner SR5 4WD
08 Outback XT
Previous: 88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, 03 WRX Wagon
post #3 of 8 Old 03-18-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by white90dx View Post
There's a chance this is a fluid level issue. The level should be right at the top 'Hot' mark on the dipstick. Drive for 10+ miles (around town as much as possible), park the car on a level surface, leave the engine running, go down and back up through each gear, leaving it in each for a couple seconds, then leave the car idling in Park. Check the trans level then. If it is noticeably low or high, it can cause shifting issues.

-Charlie
I rechecked it again and it's still saying the levels are normal.
It could be the extra fluid I put in after the trans cooler was installed, drains back and takes a minute to circulate again, but I wouldn't think that's the problem..

I've had issues with this even before I drained the trans and refilled, changed filter, and added the cooler.
I just hope the tranny isn't going to go downhill from here lol.

I'm not sure if draining it and perhaps trying a different brand would help? Have been considering trying royal purples atf.

My only other thought is the afm or something, but I really doubt it..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-18-2019, 03:14 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Maybe it's worth checking out the shifter cable slack. Spec. calls for 0-2mm of play from the throttle body to transmission.

I discovered that my throttle cable had too much slack during a long trip over the summer. Although the trans and throttle cables are two different entities, I suppose a trans cable could slacken off over time just as my throttle cable had done.

Once I put it back within spec I never had an issue with lazy throttle response. Relatively speaking, of course, for the 3S-FE. It's no turbo GTE.

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pogue Mahone; 03-18-2019 at 10:14 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-20-2019, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Maybe it's worth checking out the shifter cable slack. Spec. calls for 0-2mm of play from the throttle body to transmission.

I discovered that my throttle cable had too much slack during a long trip over the summer. Although the trans and throttle cables are two different entities, I suppose a trans cable could slacken off over time just as my throttle cable had done.

Once I put it back within spec I never had an issue with lazy throttle response. Relatively speaking, of course, for the 3S-FE. It's no turbo GTE.

Hmm, I'll check that, but I recently adjusted it, so I would be surprised if that was the problem.
I would expect it to be a constant issue if it was throttle cable slack, but my problem is only within the first few minutes of driving (when the car shifts into 3rd and OD for the first time after a cold start). After the first shift it's usually fine.
As for the trans cable, can slack be adjusted on the trans cables? I didn't notice any areas to adjust it.

I do experience uneven acceleration (rpms hop up sometimes when accelerating instead of smooth increase when throttle is about 1/5 to 1/4 open, from 1/3 to WOT acceleration is smooth).
Though I think this is fairly normal? Seeing as I've recently (couple months ago) cleaned the TB, AFM, vacuum lines, etc.

I'm just hoping my transmission is fine for now.

Last edited by WaveSurfer; 03-20-2019 at 12:19 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-20-2019, 06:57 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I should've read further into the operating temperature connection. You're right, if it's happening more frequently when it's cold, then it kind of negates the possibility of the throttle to transmission cable giving too much slack.

I also have a very slight fluctuation in rpm when lightly accelerating. It's hardly noticeable, but it's there. Simply accelerating a bit harder causes it to go away. I've cleaned everything that could cause it, even went as far as to check resistance at the TPS. It all checks out, and other owners say they expierence the same thing. I've just come to live with it. The MPG is inline with manufacturers claims, and the plugs look good.

post #7 of 8 Old 03-20-2019, 11:24 AM
3s-gte in a Camry?!?

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Check/replace the ignition coil if you are experiencing uneven acceleration/bogging.

-Charlie
66conv6 likes this.

89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE
99 4Runner SR5 4WD
08 Outback XT
Previous: 88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, 03 WRX Wagon
post #8 of 8 Old 04-26-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by white90dx View Post
Check/replace the ignition coil if you are experiencing uneven acceleration/bogging.

-Charlie
I would be surprised if it was the coils. I replaced it with an oem part at Toyota last year. I'll recheck it again when I get a chance though.

Is there a chance it's an injector? Trying to narrow it down. The car only bogs when cold, and in 2nd-3rd gear. After shifting through the gears once it goes away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 1st & 2nd Gen (1983-1986) & (1987-1991)