End of the road - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 1st & 2nd Gen (1983-1986) & (1987-1991) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1983-1986 & 1987-1991. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Pogue Mahone
  • 1 Post By Phil_Bleach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-27-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
chrome won't get you home

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2nd Generation End of the road

Pfffffff yeah well it's not easy for me to type this but my Gen2 adventure is over. I was going through my Rockauto and Napa bills from the last two years and the moneypit is real. It requires more and more time (that I don't have anymore) to keep running but in the end the car is quickly disintegrating despite all my efforts and it's just too depressing.

The latest thing to happen was last Tuesday when I broke the two captive nuts that hold the RH control arm shaft while replacing a ball joint. I think driving it with two bolts instead of four is a safety hazard and this is where I draw the line. I suppose I could always hire somebody to fix it since that's something I can't do myself but meh. I'm done.

So we bought a 2012 Corolla 1.8L 4-speed auto The exhaust is dead quiet and the cabin does not smell like oil.. I'll need to get used to that haha. It's a neat little Yawnmobile. 4 cylinders will never be as smooth as the 2vz but it's alright. It's got heated seats, AC, cruise, lots of cargo space and everything we need. The Camry is still in the driveway; tags are valid until Aug 31st but after that it needs to go. If you guys need something just PM me I guess or I'll make a thread in the For Sale section later this week.

2012 Corolla CE
1990 Camry V6 LE - RETIRED

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-27-2019, 01:37 PM
Toyota Collector

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,284 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

2000 Lexus ES300 Millenium Edition
1990 Camry LE V6 Anniversary Edition 5-Speed
1990 Camry LE V6 WAGON
1987 Camry LE I4 5-Speed
post #3 of 9 Old 04-27-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Corolla View Post

Man, imagine how I feel I had trouble sleeping all week... but the car truly is self-destructing. Oil leaks make my asphalt look like the Exxon Valdez disaster, floorpans are cracked, A-pillars are perforated, the carpet is always wet, water still gets inside from the back of the rear seat, ABS has been non-functional for almost a year now. Coolant magically disappears, the tranny fluid is like half-Lucas half-ATF and yet the gears still manage to slip on the regular, engine stalls at the worse times, gas tank leaks, trunk lid does not line up since the accident, ugh... it stopped being fun you know, the last 3-4 months especially I felt like I was really losing control of the situation yet it still breaks my heart to let my first car go after seven short years. Let's face it, the Corolla will never make a picture pop like this

2012 Corolla CE

Last edited by Phil_Bleach; 04-27-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Toyota Collector

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,284 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
I've been there my 1971 Corolla biodegraded no matter how hard I tried to stop it. Mechanically it was perfect and still drove fine but the rockers didn't exist the frame rails were not far behind. I miss the car but I had to let it go otherwise I would have spent a stupid amount of money trying to fix it.

You bought about the most boring car ever made to replace it went from all personality to zero. The wheel covers are the cherry on top. But that's a good car will be cheap to own.

2000 Lexus ES300 Millenium Edition
1990 Camry LE V6 Anniversary Edition 5-Speed
1990 Camry LE V6 WAGON
1987 Camry LE I4 5-Speed
post #5 of 9 Old 04-27-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
You bought about the most boring car ever made to replace it went from all personality to zero. The wheel covers are the cherry on top. But that's a good car will be cheap to own.

I totally agree, I just wanted something clean and reliable. My woman is IN LOVE with it though, go figure.

2012 Corolla CE

post #6 of 9 Old 04-27-2019, 06:57 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
When the time is right get another one. Maybe try and 3SGTE swap an All-trac haha.

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk
Phil_Bleach likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-28-2019, 12:28 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Sorry to hear that Phil! I always thought yours looked great. I hate to say it but I think a lot of us are probably in the same boat - the lack of rust is definitely helping keep mine afloat.

Its too bad they didn't sell the Yaris GRMN in any real numbers or on this side of the pond..

Anyway, goodluck with the new car! I'm sure you'll find a way to have fun with it sooner or later. Its hard not to smile with take out trays and a hand brake

1988 Camry Alltrac LE 5speed
post #8 of 9 Old 04-28-2019, 08:09 PM
CRESSIDA!!!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
It was very difficult getting rid of my namesake car - a car my grandpa bought brand new and I had childhood memories with, but operating costs just kept going up and up on it and it needed a significant amount of $$ to overhaul it completely because it would have something replaced, then another 25 year old thing break or wear out months after it.

It's a very sad thing to have to go through.

The two I have now are doing well and low mileage, but there is a pervasive nagging thought in my head its time to move on to something newer, made this century. Even the best parties have to come to an end.

1990 Toyota Camry LE 3S-FE.
1994 Toyota Pickup DX 22R-E
post #9 of 9 Old 04-30-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
The wheel covers are the cherry on top.
I just bought a set 16in 5 spokes OEM wheels to make it look less like a grandma car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingDutchman View Post
Sorry to hear that Phil! I always thought yours looked great.

Thanks man. Not only did it look cool but it was also unique in the sense that 363 days out of 365 mine was always the only Gen 2 on the road. Yesterday I was able to spot a dozen Corollas of the same gen, half of those were the same color as mine. Had trouble finding it in the Walmart parking lot, that's why new cars come with the beep beep remote thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Cressida View Post
The two I have now are doing well and low mileage, but there is a pervasive nagging thought in my head its time to move on to something newer, made this century. Even the best parties have to come to an end.

The thing is they were such good cars it's easy to forget they're 30 years old, however had my car been as clean as yours I'd still be driving it. I get what you're saying though, sometimes it's nice to change. As for me, I'm sad to let mine go but I won't have any regrets, I drove it until the wheels were literally about to fall off. That was always the plan.
TheFlyingDutchman likes this.

2012 Corolla CE

Last edited by Phil_Bleach; 04-30-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 1st & 2nd Gen (1983-1986) & (1987-1991)