GE? 3s block identification - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 1st & 2nd Gen (1983-1986) & (1987-1991) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1983-1986 & 1987-1991. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 Old 05-28-2019, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I found a gen 1 3sge on Ebay and they match up. Anybody been playing around with them lately? I know they're not the choice to build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 05-28-2019, 10:50 AM
3s-gte in a Camry?!?

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Oh, man, you are all over the place!

Goals? Budget? Skills?

Those motor pics at the beginning there are parts from multiple engines. There's a TVIS plate (1st gen 3s-ge or 2nd gen 3s-gte), at least one 2nd gen 3s-ge intake manifold. The cams are rusty, one heat was set on its face. The valve cover on the one head and a few brackets hint these are at least mostly MR2 parts. I'd run from those parts so fast, you'd have trouble seeing my tail lights. All worthless unless you need something very specific.

-Charlie

89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE
99 4Runner SR5 4WD
08 Outback XT
Previous: 88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, 03 WRX Wagon
post #18 of 24 Old 05-28-2019, 11:46 AM
Toyota Collector

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,284 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by white90dx View Post
I'd run from those parts so fast, you'd have trouble seeing my tail lights. All worthless unless you need something very specific.

-Charlie

I was getting the same vibe.

2000 Lexus ES300 Millenium Edition
1990 Camry LE V6 Anniversary Edition 5-Speed
1990 Camry LE V6 WAGON
1987 Camry LE I4 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 Old 05-28-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Charlie, thanks for the input. It's just a cheap collection of parts, I want a little modest 3sge to swap out my 3sfe. If it's an mr2 setup tho I know people say not to swap them fwd.

Budget- paycheck to paycheck. I'm not going to cheap out but I have to save where I can. Im a build it once the first time type guy.

I've been looking at 5s builds as well. 5sge/5sgte. Nothing fancy, just more power than my current motor. Are there any parts here (like the head) that would be useful toward my fwd build? I know the gen 1 isnt choice. But, parts are parts and wont be picky if I can make it work.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-29-2019, 04:16 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Don't try to upgrade part by part, it'll cost more and take more time and be unreliable. Best to do complete engine swap with matching harness and ECU. Most reliable to go with factory configuration. If you're gonna want more power than 3S-GE, don't even waste the time and money with installing one. Go straight to 3S-GTE, it's got all the proper forged internals and you don't even have to crack engine open to get 300bhp.

Don't bother with 5S-GTE, a lot more work for not that much more power. Because you'll have to disasemble it and put in turbo pistons and forged rods.
post #21 of 24 Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 AM
3s-gte in a Camry?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torstenpearson View Post
Budget- paycheck to paycheck.
Don't modify your car if you are paycheck to paycheck.

If you don't have a second car and a good place to work on both of them, don't be swapping engines.

A 3s-ge from a US Celica GTS (87-89) is only 20 more horsepower.

A nice 3s-ge BEAMS to get ~200hp is a much bigger challenge. If you want this:

You have to be able to do this:

And weld, and source parts, and, and, and....

If you are doing custom/hybrid engines, you will need an aftermarket ECU and a way to tune it. Even the "simple" 3s-ge swap requires a new and/or modified engine harness.

-Charlie
66conv6 likes this.

99 4Runner SR5 4WD
08 Outback XT
Previous: 88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, 03 WRX Wagon
post #22 of 24 Old 05-31-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Don't modify your car if you are paycheck to paycheck.
I do what I want.

The Camry is my daily but I have other cars. I dont expect this swap to only take a couple hours or even a week. Nowhere did I say this gonna be a piece of cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Don't try to upgrade part by part
I'm not building piece by piece. I'm looking for a complete motor. Hence the questions about the 3sge. I dont know enough to know if there was a complete motor in all those pictures. And now that I know it's a gen 1(and probably an MR2) I've decided against it. Yeah itd be a cheap solution but like I said, I've done research. I'm not about to try adapt an MR2 setup or try to modify a gen 1 for performance.

Quote:
If you don't have a second car and a good place to work on both of them, don't be swapping engines.
-Charlie
You ever heard of a backyard mechanic?

Thing is, I've got the car. Got curious about what people do to make it go fast so I looked it up. Found the swap. Found out more about the swap. I've looked up this and that, picked up a couple little important details here and there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not a Honda Boi type guy just slapping shit together and seeing if it works. I know this shit takes time and calculations and problem solving and sweet, sweet money.

When I said paycheck to paycheck I should have clarified "at the moment". Even if money were slow that wouldn't be a good reason for me to not do it. Slow money doesnt mean a shitty project.

Wiring harness- yep, needs spliced. I'll find someone good with that.

Parts sourcing- already got a million bookmarks on forums and articles. I've found forum users to be generally pretty helpful. Sometimes.

Anyhow, I found someone else with a couple Celica 3sgte's. A gen 2 and a jdm gen 3. If I can get my hands on them I'll have a gen 3 3sgte Camry and a 5sgte camry with the gen 2 head.
post #23 of 24 Old 06-03-2019, 11:24 AM
3s-gte in a Camry?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torstenpearson View Post
I do what I want.

You ever heard of a backyard mechanic?
Have you seen what has come out of my garage / back yard?

So yeah... There are only a couple guys on here with 3s-ge/3s-gte experience. The best info will be on the Celica forums where there are a lot more guys who have done these kinds of things. The information you need to gather here are the Camry specific stuff (front suspension design causes some interference issues, etc.).

I see somebody with big dreams an a lot of passion. If you stick to it and plan well, you'll be able to build something interesting.

-Charlie

99 4Runner SR5 4WD
08 Outback XT
post #24 of 24 Old 06-04-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Charlie. I'll be back with pictures. 3sfe needs a little love in the meantime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 1st & 2nd Gen (1983-1986) & (1987-1991)