check engine light went off, still showing a "logged" fault code - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1992-1996 & 1997-2001, as well as Solara discussion for years 1999-2003. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-23-2015, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
check engine light went off, still showing a "logged" fault code

Short version - My check engine light went out, but the Torque app is still showing a "logged" fault code. I'm sure the bulb isn't burned out because the check engine light comes on when I turn on the ignition without starting the engine. Any thoughts on why the light isn't staying lit up?

Long version - I had a P0401 code for a long time (years). Finally got that code fixed by replacing the vacuum modulator. In the mean time, I picked up a P0446 code. I have replaced the gas cap. I have not gotten around to checking/replacing the airbox VSV, charcoal canister, and/or charcoal canister VSV. The other day, I was driving and noticed that my check engine light was off. I plugged in my OBDII bluetooth device and checked the codes with the Torque app. It was still showing the P0446 code as a "logged" fault, but nothing comes up under the "pending" or "historic" fault options. Any thoughts on why the check engine light isn't staying lit, even though I apparently still have a fault in the system?

1998 Camry 2.2L Auto 346,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-23-2015, 12:19 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwechols View Post
Short version - My check engine light went out, but the Torque app is still showing a "logged" fault code. I'm sure the bulb isn't burned out because the check engine light comes on when I turn on the ignition without starting the engine. Any thoughts on why the light isn't staying lit up?

Long version - I had a P0401 code for a long time (years). Finally got that code fixed by replacing the vacuum modulator. In the mean time, I picked up a P0446 code. I have replaced the gas cap. I have not gotten around to checking/replacing the airbox VSV, charcoal canister, and/or charcoal canister VSV. The other day, I was driving and noticed that my check engine light was off. I plugged in my OBDII bluetooth device and checked the codes with the Torque app. It was still showing the P0446 code as a "logged" fault, but nothing comes up under the "pending" or "historic" fault options. Any thoughts on why the check engine light isn't staying lit, even though I apparently still have a fault in the system?
Sometimes I've seen the CEL goes off because I believe that the system monitoring didn't find a fault during that time, but still marks it as 'fault'? I'm not 100%, I hope other can chime in.

I've had some 'not a major' things cause the random on/off of check engine lights, but at the same time I've had CEL that made the CEL stay on all the time as well too.

'85 Camry DLX 162K
'87 Cressida 78K
'04 Camry XLE V6 119K
'98 Camry LE AE V6 228K
'06 IS250 + sport pkg 153K
'04 Camry SE I4 5SPD 199K
post #3 of 4 Old 07-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
It maybe one of those temporary codes that disappears after it takes several days of driving before the right conditions are met to complete the monitor.

1986 Toyota Pickup Xtra Cab 4WD SR5 22RE
2002 Toyota Corolla LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-31-2015, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well, the check engine light has come back on. Haven't checked codes yet, but I'm assuming it's the same P0446. Still seems odd to me that it went off for a week.

1998 Camry 2.2L Auto 346,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003)