leaking axle seal - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1992-1996 & 1997-2001, as well as Solara discussion for years 1999-2003. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
leaking axle seal

Hi everyone I am new too the forum. I have a 97 camry 2.2 I am having a problem with the driverside axle seal . I replaced the axle and seal and went for a test drive ,when I got back the transmission fluid was leaking out the axle seal . I was thinking I damage it on the install so I replaced it again,after the test drive there was fluid still leaking.Iam puzzle any help will gradually appreciate it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-01-2017, 10:15 AM
BMR
Sheriff of Mayberry

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,927 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Hello, and welcome to TN! I moved your thread to the 3rd/4th Gen Camry forum where you'll be more likely to get some help.

I've seen a few threads where using an aftermarket axle seal was the problem; part just wasn't right. What brand did you use? It's safest to go OEM on this one.

2015 RAV4 Limited, AWD, tech pkg, Barcelona red metallic, 65k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 399k
1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, totaled at 384k miles
post #3 of 6 Old 02-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
^^^This. Its not uncommon to see OEM seals on certain components with double sealing lips. If you used an aftermarket they often do not have that additional sealing capacity or are trying to adapt SAE or imprecise metric dimensions for a "goodenough" type of fit. Additionally, some OEM seals are directional and their replacement aftermarket are not.

So many of these repair jobs are such a PITA that I will typically not use aftermarket seals because it is false economy. If you did use the OEM be careful replacing the shaft as I have sliced fingers on sharp edges of the splines. Also look at the running surface of the shaft where the lip of the seal rests. A groove by any chance? A scratch or nick maybe? If so, a good place for a leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2017, 07:55 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,355 Posts
Supreme Member
Double check that you have the correct seal, and that the driveshaft sealing surface is pristine and not scratched. When you install the seal, lightly lubricate the lip with a light coat of general purpose grease, or if you know someone with Transjel, that's the proper lube to use. If not, coat the shaft and seal surfaces with ATF should be fine too.

Make sure the seal is installed straight, that the garter spring didn't pop out. And lastly that there is no freeplay in the shaft.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-03-2017, 07:50 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey brother how you doing, I just did this job on my 96 Camry same motor but I have manual trans. Like the others are saying it is best to go oem with this as to the aftermarket ones just wont do the job. my Toyota charged me 18 bucks for mine. Also to are you making sure that when you put the new seal in it is seated properly and all the way. You can do this by taking a socket with a big enough diameter and light tapping the socket to the seal with rubber mallet. If you do not have one like me I used a punch and light tapped all the way around the seal in a circle until it was seated properly and all the way. Also you might want to catch all your fluid in a clean pan to reuse it so your not spending more money on tranny fluid. Another thing you can do is put the car up on jack stands so when your done reinstalling the new seal you can put it in drive and let the axle move and check to see if it is still leaking or good. Make sure the e brake is on and you have 2 jack stands a jack and a tire under the vehicle for safety purposes. Trying to help you out not see you go away. Hope this helps and let us know how it turns out.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-03-2017, 08:23 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
And perhaps more obvious that all of the previous worthy and appropriate comments, is your trans fluid at the proper level?

Here's my story, I bought our '94 2.2 used with no service history but with low miles (all part of a calculated purchase). As you might suspect a guy needs to go through everything to assess the situation and build some confidence/reliability into a new used car. Any way this car was leaking oil (oil pump spaghetti seal) and trans fluid. I knew this at the time of purchase and was willing and able to address both. So I did the whole timing belt, thermostat, water pump, oil pump job with significant input from TN. Oil leak solved. Next I move onto the trans leak. I first started with fluid changes on the trans and diff. to know for sure I had new fluids there but to also assess the fluid levels. And would you know, the trans was over filled and the diff under filled. In the meantime the driver's side CV axle splits a boot. So I R&R that axle along with the axle seal fill the trans and diff to the proper levels and Ta Da no more leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003)