1992 Toyota Camry LE - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1992-1996 & 1997-2001, as well as Solara discussion for years 1999-2003. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Canada 1992 Toyota Camry LE

Hey

Just bought a '92 Camry LE V6 3.0L recently and it was needing some coolant.
I figured I'd just replace the radiator and all that jazz just for some preventative maintenance, but before I do this, I wanted to know what type of coolant my car takes? I've tried searching it online many times to no avail.
Also, is there an owner's manual I can find online, or buy? I'm not finding any of that stuff online either.

Thanks!
Indigo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 10:23 PM
2010 Camry SE V6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoSypnopsis View Post
Hey

Just bought a '92 Camry LE V6 3.0L recently and it was needing some coolant.

I figured I'd just replace the radiator and all that jazz just for some preventative maintenance, but before I do this, I wanted to know what type of coolant my car takes? I've tried searching it online many times to no avail.

Also, is there an owner's manual I can find online, or buy? I'm not finding any of that stuff online either.

Thanks!

Indigo

I personally run zerex Toyota/Lexus/scion blend. By valvoline. Good stuff and it meets the OEM specification for a silicate free HOAT coolant
https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...freeze-coolant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks netforcer for the awsome sig! You da man!
Quote:
Seatbelt! you're piloting a vehicle were dual vvt-i hitts harder then VTEC and the torquesteer can possibly snap your wrists
post #3 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCamSe View Post
I personally run zerex Toyota/Lexus/scion blend. By valvoline. Good stuff and it meets the OEM specification for a silicate free HOAT coolant
https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...freeze-coolant

Thanks!
Does it matter what colour? Currently the one in my car is like, a dirty orange or red.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 11:15 PM
2010 Camry SE V6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoSypnopsis View Post
Thanks!

Does it matter what colour? Currently the one in my car is like, a dirty orange or red.

Older Toyota’s used Red coolant. Newer vehicles use pink. The pink is backward compatible with the red and visa versa. The zerex Toyota coolant is pink, and pre diluted with demineralized water

Thanks netforcer for the awsome sig! You da man!
Quote:
Seatbelt! you're piloting a vehicle were dual vvt-i hitts harder then VTEC and the torquesteer can possibly snap your wrists
post #5 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 12:53 AM
TN Post Wh*re

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Zerex pink, Toyota red/pink, Prestone green would work, friends been using that for years These cars are not too picky. I’m be more concern how long the coolant was ran.

I would use either red or pink. If it looks orange or dark brown, coolant is ran too long and or mixing occurred. How’s the radiator cap looking?

'85 Camry DLX 162K
'87 Cressida 78K
'04 Camry XLE V6 119K
'98 Camry LE AE V6 228K
'06 IS250 + sport pkg 153K
'04 Camry SE I4 5SPD 199K
post #6 of 8 Old 04-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
If there's a Canadian Tire nearby, Recochem makes some Pink equivalent

50/50
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/o...3083p.html#srp

Concentrated if you want to do a flush (best)
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/o...3072p.html#srp

They used to carry a Motomaster branded one for asian vehicules and is a HOAT formulation, comparable to Toyota red (gold in color) but it's discontinued and on clearance.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0293070p.html

Check stock/price here https://stocktrack.ca/?s=ct&q=029-3070-8

Edit: Seems like the "Global" coolant also meet the same specs ASTM D3306, JIS K2234, so just different packaging/color (STP, Turbo Power, Motomaster, etc, all made by Recochem)
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...3040p.html#srp
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t...3069p.html#srp

Last edited by Daijoubu; 04-24-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-25-2019, 04:21 AM
TN Post Wh*re

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdom934 View Post
Zerex pink, Toyota red/pink, Prestone green would work, friends been using that for years These cars are not too picky. I’m be more concern how long the coolant was ran.

I would use either red or pink. If it looks orange or dark brown, coolant is ran too long and or mixing occurred. How’s the radiator cap looking?
I need to correct something

When I mean green, it’s that yellow container that prestone has. Below is my personal experience with this so far

1995 Camry V6 - friend had it for good 10yr. They used to use tap water with prestone “yellow” from Wallyworld. I haven’t had any coolant issues, but I recall finding a quite a bit of corrosion (white crap) on the radiator neck when doing top end work. Water pump was fine though.

2001 I4 Camry - my dad has his radiator replaced about 10yr ago. Shop used generic yellow coolant. It has a coolant change 5~yr ago when I did the thermostat and I used prestone . When I recently did the timing belt on his car I didn’t notice anything too crazy. Everything seemed okay and I couldn’t find any crazy corrosion or build up.

1998 Camry v6 with 204K previous owner did very good maintance but used a yellow coolant (again shop used it). When the bypass hose blew I took apart the top end. Noticed light to moderate amount of corrosion on the intake gaskets and radiator neck.

2004 Camry - car came with pink from Toyota. I got it at 52K. It has factory pink fill. I would top off only with red/pink. When I did the timing belt job for it 118K, everything was freaking SPOTLESS. Couldn’t find any corrosion around radiator neck outlit.

Best results is to use red or pink. Zerex pink for Toyota/Lexus is my choice as we don’t have much options besides Wally World here and the over priced big auto parts store and dealerships. Red is harder to find at reasonable price here.

'85 Camry DLX 162K
'87 Cressida 78K
'04 Camry XLE V6 119K
'98 Camry LE AE V6 228K
'06 IS250 + sport pkg 153K
'04 Camry SE I4 5SPD 199K
post #8 of 8 Old 04-25-2019, 10:43 AM
short-throw dipstick

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
No matter what you use, silicate-free. Silicate coolants don't play nice with aluminum engine parts.

I just dealt with a leak-under-constant-load (highway speeds) problem on a Subaru Tribeca. Turned out the guy had a shitty Motorad radiator cap that wasn't holding more than 9 PSI pressure, and the reservoir would overflow, letting the coolant blow all over the left side of the engine. He also had a leak from the tstat housing after dealing with this problem for a year and using yellow universal (silicated) antifreeze - massive chunks gone from inside and outside, and what looks like sand poured out of the drain.

00 Camry 5S-FE 184k smoooth
01 ES300 147k NEEDS TRANS WORK
01 Insight 137k BROKEN CAMSHAFT
02 Insight 178k DC-DC BELLY-UP
08 STS-V 67k 570 RWHP!
01 Viggen 112k 400 FWHP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003)