Diffcult alignment choices, need some help. - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1992-1996 & 1997-2001, as well as Solara discussion for years 1999-2003. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 Old 04-23-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Camber bolt is a cute little thing. Here strut hole is the stationary part. The nut side shares the same center as the thinner and threaded shaft and the strut hole. The bolt hat side shares the same center as the thicker part of the shaft and knuckle hole. In the foreground of the 2nd picture, we can see a + and a - sign. The - sign marks the place where the thicker shaft and thinner shaft align on the same plane. The + sign marks the place where they differ the most.

So as I rotate the bolt, the knuckle rides on the thicker part and a distance is created between the center of knuckle hole and the center of strut hole. I obtain the most negative camber when the most eccentric part, marked by + sign, is facing inward towards cabin.

But I am a bit confused that when camber is correctly adjusted, there's the possibility that the ride height and track will also be slightly off?

Also the nut is obviously oval. Very hard to turn.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2001 Toyota Camry 2.2L LE w/ Solara strut tower brace, Whiteline RSB, Moog links, KYB Strut Plus, Avalon 16'' wheels and 205 60 R16, 134k

Last edited by qqzj; 04-24-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 04-23-2019, 11:20 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Thanked 1,413 Times in 1,336 Posts
Supreme Member
I’d follow Moog directions. You’d think they know better than a Subaru forum (NASIOC)? Give the Moog tech line a call if you’re concerned.

When I did a ball park camber alignment I used a digital leveler. The good old bubble level should work fine too for driving to the alignment shop. Just make sure the leveler is vertical and parallel to the rim. Set the bubble between the lines.
post #33 of 37 Old 04-23-2019, 11:37 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
I have bought Moog K90477 camber bolt and studying it. This is good thread. Here it is claimed that camber bolt should always be installed in the lower hole for safety concerns. But Moog instruction tells me to insert into the top hole.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1590221
They claim some Subaru specific bs in there due to Subaru apparently having some special bolt in the top. Toyota has same bolt in top and bottom.

Lower bolt will yield more alignment, if needed. The +/-1.75 degrees that the manufacturer claims will NOT be achievable on a Toyota because there isn't enough room. If you need more negative camber, the knuckle ear will hit the main strut tube and game over, no more adjustment. Putting it in the bottom, you're pushing the lower knuckle hole away from the strut, so more room.

If you need positive camber, put the camber bolt into the top hole.

If you want the best solution according to experienced alignment guys, get an OEM bolt and bore out the holes instead. The car retains OEM bolt holding strength. You really need to know what you're doing for this though, so proceed at your own risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 04-24-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I am not going to install this camber bolt myself. I will install a new Moog knuckle, complete with hub and bearing and all other small stuff. Hopefully that will take care of both the alignment issue and the bearing noise. This camber bolt is the last resort in case the alignment is still off with new knuckle and new strut. This is only possible if the place where the three bolts attach strut mount to strut is deformed. I hope it won't happen. As of now, I need about 1 degree positive camber to make it perfect. So it goes to the top hole. Moog and slavie's suggestions are the same here.

But I am concerned about this camber bolt. What is the part number for OEM camber bolt? I searched hard and cannot find it.

However, I found an old thread in which the OP used the same camber bolt and brought the alignment back to correct.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...questions.html

2001 Toyota Camry 2.2L LE w/ Solara strut tower brace, Whiteline RSB, Moog links, KYB Strut Plus, Avalon 16'' wheels and 205 60 R16, 134k
post #35 of 37 Old 04-24-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Gosh, this thread has a lot of good info. I shall attach the picture here again.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...ock-bolts.html
Attached Images
File Type: png ca.png (103.3 KB, 7 views)

post #36 of 37 Old 05-15-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Let me put a closure to this thread. It turned out that the noise was caused by my rear wheel bearings. And I replaced both of them. All noises were gone after that. Details here.
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...-assembly.html
I also tried to do alignment myself. And I completely failed. Details here.
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...t-himself.html
In the end, I got the lifetime alignment deal from Pep Boys and they only adjusted front and rear toes smack in the middle. My cambers returned into the normal range, as a consequence of the strut assembly changes. So I returned the camber bolts. Now all parameters are within spec. It is just that the right caster is too straight. However, given my left caster is also straight. This might not be a problem.

post #37 of 37 Old 05-18-2019, 08:04 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
@qqzj , for what it's worth it is not the shop that makes the difference it is the guy who is doing the work who makes the difference. I have been taking my 01 Camry with 260K miles on it to the same chain shop for several years and the guy who does the tire installs and alignments is amazing. He asks me what is the car doing and what should he be looking for. Two weeks ago I bought two new tires (to finish a matched set of four) and I had a 4 wheel alignment done. The Tech had a little difficulty getting the alignment where he wanted it and he came and got me twice and showed me what he was doing and why. He drove my car 3 times before he was happy and needless to say I was very happy with the results. Now this is just me and YMMV. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003)