Transmission fluid leak question - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1992-1996 & 1997-2001, as well as Solara discussion for years 1999-2003. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-19-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
New kid in town

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Transmission fluid leak question

So today I notice my Camry 2.2 4 Cyl '98 transmission gasket started to leak and taking a look all points to the pan gasket. Checked around the axles seals and there is dry.

Doing a small research on the forum I found the gasket is a very common problem. but is can also come from the torque converter and man! I wish is not as I do not have the equipment to remove the transmission to replace it =(
My question is, Is there any other common place I should look for leaks and there are two question, how much will cost to replace the torque converter shaft gasket?
I am from South CA Near Chula vista

thank you in advance

The Happy owner of Camry 1998 2.2 LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-19-2019, 11:04 PM
short-throw dipstick

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Torque converter shaft seal is a rare leak and usually happens well beyond 250k. If the leakage seems to be creeping upward from the pan, suspect the pan gasket. Easy enough to replace, might as well do filter while you're at it...buy a kit with the filter and a rubber gasket (not cork). The torque on the filter bolts (do NOT mix up the long and short bolts) is 7 ft-lbs, the pan bolts are a measly 43 in-lbs.

EDIT: Oh, to do the torque converter shaft seal requires either engine and trans removal or dropping subframe and trans. Oddly enough, it's less trouble to remove engine and trans together and reseal.

00 Camry 5S-FE 184k smoooth
01 ES300 147k NEEDS TRANS WORK
01 Insight 137k BROKEN CAMSHAFT
02 Insight 178k DC-DC BELLY-UP
08 STS-V 67k 570 RWHP!
01 Viggen 112k 400 FWHP
The Following User Says Thank You to insightbrewery For This Useful Post:
Phils Camry (04-22-2019)
post #3 of 3 Old 04-22-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
New kid in town

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightbrewery View Post
Torque converter shaft seal is a rare leak and usually happens well beyond 250k. If the leakage seems to be creeping upward from the pan, suspect the pan gasket. Easy enough to replace, might as well do filter while you're at it...buy a kit with the filter and a rubber gasket (not cork). The torque on the filter bolts (do NOT mix up the long and short bolts) is 7 ft-lbs, the pan bolts are a measly 43 in-lbs.

EDIT: Oh, to do the torque converter shaft seal requires either engine and trans removal or dropping subframe and trans. Oddly enough, it's less trouble to remove engine and trans together and reseal.
I today I did the gasket replacement, + filter thanks to your data I was able to tight the filter bolts properly. I checked the oil leak is only from the bottom after I cleaned all the mess so I feel relief now the torque shaft seal look good.

I ended late today and I had no chance to check the car first thing I will to tomorrow before work.

thanks again!

The Happy owner of Camry 1998 2.2 LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003)