2000 Lexus RX300 1MZ-FE with 280k miles reliability? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1992-1996 & 1997-2001, as well as Solara discussion for years 1999-2003. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2000 Lexus RX300 1MZ-FE with 280k miles reliability?

Hello

I figured I would post this in the toyota forum as not many frequent the Lexus forum (Club Lexus). The vehicle is basically a Toyota with the 1MZ-FE engine with VVT-i which is also found in some toyota models.

About 5 years ago I purchased a 2000 RX300 1MZ-FE engine from a friend. He was the original owner. The dealer replaced the transmission when the car was around 3 years old.

Reviewing the records 2 or 3 of the O2 sensors have been replaced.

I recently had the water pump and timing belt replaced. An oil control valve failed and was replaced and then I replaced the other oil control valve out of preventative maintenance.

Brakes and filters have been replaced over the years. And I recently replaced one of the Water Temp sensors, the one that feeds the ECU as it was failing and throwing codes.

I also recently dropped the transmission pan and changed the filter. Front and rear diff gear oil has been changed. I also replaced the alternator. I also cleaned the IACV

The car runs great and I don't know what else it needs, maybe spark plugs, I don't see any history of them ever being replaced.

So here is the reason for my post. I am pondering the reliability of the car given its age and miles and previous work.

I live in the SF bay area and use the car (since it is a AWD) alot in the winter to drive the the sierra mountains (Lake Tahoe) to take my 7 & 9 year old kids skiing. The trip is 225 miles each way via highway 80 with an elevation gain of 7,200 feet. With traffic, bathroom breaks, and a stop for food each way is around 5 or so hours. Last winter we made about 7 weekend trips between the months of November and March,

I tend to hold onto cars for a long time, I just got rid of a 1984 GTi with close to 400k and have a 1987 300E with about 240k miles.

Am I foolish to continue to drive this car to the mountains in the winter with my 7 & 9 year old? My fear is the car breaking down on me. Worse case would be in a snow storm at night in the mountains when the kids are asleep in the car. I'll leave it at that, I think you get the concern.

If I was to continue to make these trips what are some recommended repairs or things I should consider? I do have AAA towing the Plus membership with the higher towing (I think 100 miles). And I know where the Toyota & Lexus dealerships are on the way.

Last edited by murphysf; 05-14-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 02:24 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Our 1MZ-FEs are too young to help you out -- 01 Avalon at 68k and 03 Avalon at 95k, but I'm chiming in so I can see what others say about cars farther down the road.

We've replaced both the timing belt / water pump/ tensioner/ seals, as well as the valve cover gaskets on the 03 and will have to do the same with the 01 soon.

I dislike timing belts. I intend to hew to the 90k interval recommended by Toyota. Others disagree, but I'm convinced that both mileage and time age the belt. I've done quite a bit of technical writing around polymers and all polymers, not just rubber, are definitely affected by heat, oxygen, and time.
murphysf likes this.

01 Avalon XL
03 Avalon XL
The Following User Says Thank You to OleAvalon For This Useful Post:
murphysf (05-15-2019)
post #3 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleAvalon View Post
Our 1MZ-FEs are too young to help you out -- 01 Avalon at 68k and 03 Avalon at 95k, but I'm chiming in so I can see what others say about cars farther down the road.

We've replaced both the timing belt / water pump/ tensioner/ seals, as well as the valve cover gaskets on the 03 and will have to do the same with the 01 soon.

I dislike timing belts. I intend to hew to the 90k interval recommended by Toyota. Others disagree, but I'm convinced that both mileage and time age the belt. I've done quite a bit of technical writing around polymers and all polymers, not just rubber, are definitely affected by heat, oxygen, and time.
thanks - when I had the timing belt and water pump replaced I also had the mechanic change the two cam seals and the crank seal. After I had the job done I learned that the 1MZ-FE engine is a non interference engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 02:43 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Personally I would keep driving it. Had a Sienna that hit 320k. I bought it at 277k for $1400 with 6 pounds of service records, gave it to a tenant in lieu of deposit he was paying me on a house and later found out they were stealing power and they left my house a disaster, but the Sienna was a solid ride, even at that mileage. I even bought another one with barely over 100k miles this year, but Pop confiscated it since they can get in and out easily at 98 (pop) and close to 94 (mom). I thought the oil might need changing, so we drove it to Dover Delaware and back and I checked the oil and it looked like new after I changed it before the 8 hour round trip.

This is one of the best engines ever made in the history of automobiles and I would not care what brand you compared them to. I also understand the engine can "freewheel" if the timing belt breaks (just the 3.0). The Sienna most recently purchased may even still have the original t-belt at 21 years old, they don't drive much anymore but I would like to pull one the the cam sprocket covers and get a good look at the belt. I told them I want it back when they are through with it. I'd put a trailer hitch on the back and get rid of my Tacoma pickup.
murphysf likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Mechanic For This Useful Post:
murphysf (05-15-2019)
post #5 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Personally I would keep driving it. Had a Sienna that hit 320k. I bought it at 277k for $1400 with 6 pounds of service records, gave it to a tenant in lieu of deposit he was paying me on a house and later found out they were stealing power and they left my house a disaster, but the Sienna was a solid ride, even at that mileage. I even bought another one with barely over 100k miles this year, but Pop confiscated it since they can get in and out easily at 98 (pop) and close to 94 (mom). I thought the oil might need changing, so we drove it to Dover Delaware and back and I checked the oil and it looked like new after I changed it before the 8 hour round trip.

This is one of the best engines ever made in the history of automobiles and I would not care what brand you compared them to. I also understand the engine can "freewheel" if the timing belt breaks (just the 3.0). The Sienna most recently purchased may even still have the original t-belt at 21 years old, they don't drive much anymore but I would like to pull one the the cam sprocket covers and get a good look at the belt. I told them I want it back when they are through with it. I'd put a trailer hitch on the back and get rid of my Tacoma pickup.

As far as interference engines with timing belts, I'll put it to you this way, my daily driver is a 2000 Echo with a chain. I own no more timing belt engined vehicles, but if I did it would be this engine.
one of the best engines ever made in the history of automobiles? even with the sludge issue?
post #6 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 04:56 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Thanked 1,409 Times in 1,332 Posts
Supreme Member
1MZ like Honda’s J30 were a response to the Nissan VQ 3L engine that set the bar on noise, vibration and harshness but the VQ could use more reliability and maintainability. Were these both as good as far as the driving dynamics? No I don’t think so.

I like the VQ for the drive but think the J30 is better engine to own. 1MZ is decent not bad by any means. At least it doesn’t have a 2GR rubber oil line that likes to burst and destroys the engine while you try to stop. The later U-series transmissions aren’t as reliable either. Not sure if you got the U140 (given it had an early death) or the old reliable A541 series.

At 280k any vehicle would be on the last leg. Just keep up the maintenance and inspection and as one member said in another recent thread, listen to what the car’s trying to tell you.

No need to push for Guinness world record with two kids in the back is how I see it.
murphysf likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnGD For This Useful Post:
murphysf (05-15-2019)
post #7 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 05:24 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphysf View Post
one of the best engines ever made in the history of automobiles? even with the sludge issue?
If you don't take care of your equipment I should call the equipment junk? I stand by my statement, wife rode 11 hours each way in her brothers RX300 at 319k miles, I offered to pay for the rental he refused.(4th t-belt)
murphysf likes this.
murphysf (05-15-2019)
post #8 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 PM
Toyota Collector

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2405 Post(s)
Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,263 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
1MZ is a very strong engine they commonly go over 300,000 miles only thing that kills them is a total lack of oil changes.
murphysf likes this.

2000 Lexus ES300 Millenium Edition
1990 Camry LE V6 Anniversary Edition 5-Speed
1990 Camry LE V6 WAGON
1987 Camry LE I4 5-Speed
The Following User Says Thank You to 71Corolla For This Useful Post:
murphysf (05-15-2019)
post #9 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 06:49 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
My sister's family has the 2001 RX300, which was always well maintained. For some unknown reason it cracked an exhaust valve at 180k miles. When the head was removed, there was no sludge and hardly any varnish coloring so this was surprise and mystery of what caused it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Lexus He.png (400.0 KB, 10 views)
murphysf likes this.

1992 "The Whac-A-Mole" Camry 5SFE 255k
2005 Vibe I4 175k
Former: 1983 Cressida 1986-2015
The Following User Says Thank You to Cressidaadr For This Useful Post:
murphysf (05-15-2019)
post #10 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 01:01 AM
short-throw dipstick

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Heeyyy, Bay Area mechanic here (Santa Clara) that works on a lot of RX300/RX330. Weak point will be the transmission, that U140F is not great (have done two replacements so far), they didn't get most of it right until the U151 in the RX330. And those were daily drivers, you put yours through more than they ever did.

Install an auxiliary cooler and some sort of filter; I used to install Magnefines (still do, actually) but am trying a remote can-style oil filter this time. I would also consider installing a cold-weather bypass if you spend a lot of time in Tahoe. It won't do much in inland Cali weather, but will keep the trans from experiencing cold fluid-shock in snowy climes.

On a U140E/F, if you hear whining in 1st/2nd, it's on its way out (might be 5K, might be 50K depending on abuse). Synthetic fluid is a good idea; I run Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc in all the ones I service, shifts better, runs a bit cooler, and trans are still shifting fine when I recommend changes (every 25-30K on the U140, 40-50K on U151). In fact, the MaxLife works better than the T-IV I used to put in ES300 and RX300 where we were running 15K intervals to try and stave off trans failure...
murphysf likes this.

00 Camry 5S-FE 178k BLOWN MOTOR/TRANS
01 ES300 147k NEEDS TRANS WORK
01 Insight 137k BROKEN CAMSHAFT
02 Insight 178k DC-DC BELLY-UP
08 STS-V 67k 570 RWHP!
01 Viggen 112k 400 FWHP
The Following User Says Thank You to insightbrewery For This Useful Post:
murphysf (05-15-2019)
post #11 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 01:01 AM
short-throw dipstick

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cressidaadr View Post
My sister's family has the 2001 RX300, which was always well maintained. For some unknown reason it cracked an exhaust valve at 180k miles. When the head was removed, there was no sludge and hardly any varnish coloring so this was surprise and mystery of what caused it.
Dang, one of those flukes! I hope they rebuilt it with a Stellite valve
murphysf likes this.

00 Camry 5S-FE 178k BLOWN MOTOR/TRANS
01 ES300 147k NEEDS TRANS WORK
01 Insight 137k BROKEN CAMSHAFT
02 Insight 178k DC-DC BELLY-UP
08 STS-V 67k 570 RWHP!
01 Viggen 112k 400 FWHP
The Following User Says Thank You to insightbrewery For This Useful Post:
murphysf (05-15-2019)
post #12 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 01:35 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hint: Always buy the safest car you can afford. I can go into the reasons, if you want. With those children in the car (I am familiar with the Tahoe/Yosemite to Modesto roads and the deer and drunken drivers, etc), I probably drove the secondary roads more than I80, but still I would be checking all the safety features in light of the hazards of those roads.

I have an 01 avalon with 290k and I trust it mechanically, but I rarely have kids in the car. If I had kids in the car, I would do a serious comparision of the safety features of your Lexus against cars with more modern safety features. Your Lexus had advanced safety features back when it was new, I am not sure if, from a safety perspective, it has not been surpassed.
murphysf likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Avalon344 For This Useful Post:
murphysf (05-15-2019)
post #13 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 05:08 AM
Official TN Member

Two posts down from this one is a thread about an Avalon with 500k miles.
murphysf likes this.
murphysf (05-15-2019)
post #14 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 05:19 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Even a brand spankin' new car can break down. In fact, the newer, the less reliable due to the increased number micro processors that control simple things that used to be much less complex.
murphysf likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuckoff For This Useful Post:
murphysf (05-15-2019), Old Mechanic (05-15-2019)
post #15 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 05:19 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon344 View Post
Hint: Always buy the safest car you can afford. I can go into the reasons, if you want. With those children in the car (I am familiar with the Tahoe/Yosemite to Modesto roads and the deer and drunken drivers, etc), I probably drove the secondary roads more than I80, but still I would be checking all the safety features in light of the hazards of those roads.

I have an 01 avalon with 290k and I trust it mechanically, but I rarely have kids in the car. If I had kids in the car, I would do a serious comparision of the safety features of your Lexus against cars with more modern safety features. Your Lexus had advanced safety features back when it was new, I am not sure if, from a safety perspective, it has not been surpassed.
Not meant to be a argument, maybe a counterpoint. Parents retired and moved to the Fla Keys (1975), I rebuilt a 77 Honda Accord ( first year of the Accord, weighed about the same as my Echo under 2k pounds). One day they are driving north through Marathon and a drunk in a Cadillac swerves into their lane. Pop was driving and he just whipped the car to the right and missed the oncoming drunk. Believe it or not it happened to them again AND it happened to me at a later date, at night in a heavy rain, I had to go left into a parking lot with telephone poles I could not see. In all 3 cases we were driving what could be called deathtraps and they would have been had there been a collision. The lighter more maneuverable car saved us on those 3 occasions. The other option was a 100mph combined impact with a two ton behemoth, most likely deadly. These 3 incidents all happened within 200 yards of each other and could easily have wiped out all 3 of us. 42 years later I'm 68 and they are 93 and 98 and they still drive.

Sure heavier is the bigger marble, but if you give me a Porsche and you get a school bus, try to hit me head on in the worlds biggest parking lot.
murphysf likes this.
murphysf (05-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003)