P0300 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1992-1996 & 1997-2001, as well as Solara discussion for years 1999-2003. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-22-2019, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
4th Generation P0300

I get a CEL with code P0300 on the 2001 LE Camry today.
The engine has not been behaving very well for a while, but it seems to be an intermittent problem.
The coils were replaced about a year ago, spark plugs( Camry OEM) replaced last week and ignition leads and battery are all less than a year old.
Most of the time car starts and works fine. However, sometimes, once in about 10 tries, it has a tough time starting -- engine seems to struggle and then runs fine. RPM at idle is good but sometimes the engine starts to suffer vibrations at idle. Once the car runs, it runs fine.
The intake valve was thoroughly cleaned less than a year ago.
Reading some diagnostic posts and going by Youtube, it may be the crankshaft sensor, even though the code is for a general misfire.
I did a compression test a couple of months ago and the cylinders were within range. The car runs fine at high speed, so I do not suspect that its a fuel problem?
Seems the crankshaft sensor is in a difficult position to access and replace or even test -- if its that component.

Anybody experienced something similar that can provide a more targeted way to do the diagnosis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-22-2019, 05:34 AM
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
When the plugs were replaced - was the condition of each plug checked against the other / checked for fouling and/or wear, and was the insulator on each plug checked for any evidence of carbon tracing?
post #3 of 7 Old 05-22-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The plugs were actually in good condition -- all four. I changed them because they had a single ground and not two like the OEMs for this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-22-2019, 10:21 AM
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Cool. If the plugs were in good condition / you didn't see any obvious issues from one plug vs. another, and the insulators were clean / no oil / no sign of overheat or carbon tracking -

but if you found -any- oil on the plugs and/or wire insulators when pulled, consider addressing the issue, and replacing wires w/ new NGK wire set: once a wire insulator is subject to carbon tracking - it needs to be replaced.

then I would be ensuring good electrical supply to all system components: inspect battery terminals & cables: clean terminals, connections, and battery ground points,

inspect the air box, air filter, and intake tube,

inspect vacuum hoses: hoses to throttle body / the purge valve VSV,

EGR vsv valve,

and Brake Booster hose .. looking for any degraded hose, splits or cracks, particulary at the connection points,

also check the PCV valve / hose for condition / operation,

In short, if you are satisfied Ignition components are up-to-spec - next step on my completely unofficial "general misfire" checklist would be - to ensure / confirm good electrical power to all system components for further diagnostic testing: and to eliminate the possibility of "illegal air" / vacuum leaks, if here.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-22-2019, 05:20 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Go for Fuel Injectors...

1993 Toyota Camry LE 156k I4-Current vehicle...
post #6 of 7 Old 05-24-2019, 10:59 PM
☻Black Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
- mist the engine with water at idle to see if you can induce a misfire in the wires...
- start there, then move on to fuel and air issues
- one of your wires is prolly shot.....

1995 2.2L Camry 5sfe engine
post #7 of 7 Old 05-25-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I did a couple of resistance measurements and found some components out of spec:
The Crank position sensor resistance measured 2500 Ohms at hot. The specification is a max of around 1800 Ohms.

I read the repair manual again just now, and learnt that I have an air/fuel sensor which cannot be checked with a multimeter for resistance, but the good news is that the voltage from it is fine at 300 mV,

I am not sure how easy it is to see if the fuel injectors are bad, connectors seem fine and are oil free.

I do not think an ignition lead is bad because I should then have got a P030x code, where x represents the cylinder number if that was the case. These are OEM and less than 2 years old.

I did try to look for a vacuum leak by spraying hoses with a carb cleaner, but did not hear any change in engine speed.

Time to go to a mechanic ?

Last edited by hitechseeker; 05-26-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003)