Wagner brakes. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1992-1996 & 1997-2001, as well as Solara discussion for years 1999-2003. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jagalag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-24-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Wagner brakes.

I recently installed the thermoquiet pads and same brand rotors for the front of my 99 Avy 2000 miles ago. Man, I am thoroughly impressed with the stopping ability and bite of the pads and rotors.... I know the pro mechanic types will say "Akebono this" and "Advics that", but for the money, the Wagner pads and rotors are definitely worth a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-24-2019, 04:35 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagalag View Post
I recently installed the thermoquiet pads and same brand rotors for the front of my 99 Avy 2000 miles ago. Man, I am thoroughly impressed with the stopping ability and bite of the pads and rotors.... I know the pro mechanic types will say "Akebono this" and "Advics that", but for the money, the Wagner pads and rotors are definitely worth a look.
Thanks. Nice to know. Is it ceramic or semi metallic?

2001 Toyota Camry 2.2L LE w/ Solara strut tower brace, Whiteline RSB, Moog links, KYB Strut Plus, Avalon 16'' wheels and 205 60 R16, 134k
post #3 of 11 Old 05-24-2019, 05:35 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Thermoquiets are ceramic
https://www.wagnerbrake.com/products...ermoquiet.html

So many trolls so little time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 08:37 PM
unofficial TN member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I recently installed the thermoquiet pads and same brand rotors for the front of my 99 Avy 2000 miles ago. Man, I am thoroughly impressed with the stopping ability and bite of the pads and rotors.
i've had a front pair of the TQ pads +wagner rotors and a second set of TQ pads + centric ctek rotors. with fresh fluid and pads, i like the initial bite. but both times, the fronts get fairly noisy after a cold start, like the sound of the whistling as loud as a garbage truck decelerating.

since we both live in similar climates, how often do you get pad squeal from cold starts moving forward? mine is 99% of the time, only time it doesn't is when i reverse out. hilariously embarrassing in parking garages.

For Sale: (4) Toyota Camry OEM 15" Alloy wheels $50.00

00 camry le 5s-fe 265k miles
98 camry xle 1mz-fe totaled @ 150k miles
post #5 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 08:39 PM
short-throw dipstick

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Thermoquiets are pretty great...I stopped using Akebonos on everything except Japanese cars whose owners want long long long life. Never been satisfied with stock pad bite on any Japanese cars except certain Hondas

Wish I could get Zimmerman rotors for my Toyota crap, but Brembo blanks are pretty nice and easily available nowadays. Oh yeah, also, Brembo ceramics are nice for these as well

00 Camry 5S-FE 184k smoooth
01 ES300 147k NEEDS TRANS WORK
01 Insight 137k BROKEN CAMSHAFT
02 Insight 178k DC-DC BELLY-UP

08 STS-V 67k 570 RWHP!
01 Viggen 112k 400 FWHP
post #6 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by O_loung1 View Post

i've had a front pair of the TQ pads +wagner rotors and a second set of TQ pads + centric ctek rotors. with fresh fluid and pads, i like the initial bite. but both times, the fronts get fairly noisy after a cold start, like the sound of the whistling as loud as a garbage truck decelerating.

since we both live in similar climates, how often do you get pad squeal from cold starts moving forward? mine is 99% of the time, only time it doesn't is when i reverse out. hilariously embarrassing in parking garages.
According to the instruction manuals of the Wagner pads. You must not use any type of lubricant on the "shimless" design, nor the arms of the pad that slide along the caliper hardware. If absolutely desired, you must use Wagners own silicone blend of goo. (Baloney) I used some left over Sil-glyde from NAPA parts, and never looked back. From time to time, maybe a good idea just to relube with any SYNTHETIC grease on the back of the TQ pad and the arms as they sit. What could it possibly hurt?
O_loung1 likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 04:06 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
I had to have rear brake pads installed on my 07 Camry XLE while vacationing in Clearwater Florida thus past February. I didn't have any tools with me to do the work myself so I went to the local Pep Boys so at least I would have a nationwide warranty. They used Wagner TG's and cut the rotors with an on-car brake lathe. I watched the tech working on the car and he did a good job on the install. I have to agree with the good pedal feel but I do have one big complaint. The pads make a lot of black brake dust on my alloy wheels. I do have the Akebonos in the front and they do not produce anywhere near the amount of brake dust. Just my observation.

Mike
post #8 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 04:20 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
I ended up warranting my ThermoQuiets as I started getting a screeching sound when I am lightly to mid pressing the brake. As far as I can tell, it might've been the left rear pads as the brake hardware came off with barely a wiggle. Also, I forget if it was the front or rear but one of them were manufactured in 2011. In theory it shouldn't cause an issue... but things can be interesting. The screeching noise went away afterwards but I am sure that I may need to file down the left rear inner pad again because it sits a bit tight... when pushed. There was an old TSB about Gen 6 Camry rear pads being crooked and I noticed when I replaced my old pads they were crooked too (but caused no sound).

post #9 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 09:10 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Thanked 1,413 Times in 1,336 Posts
Supreme Member
Good to know about the bite. One reason I haven’t tried Wagner is because the noise complaints.

It’s supposedly not the friction material but the softer noise reducing layer that they use.

The piston or caliper fingers will eventually wear through the softer layer material, causing noise. See what Critic said half way down:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...se#Post2670222
post #10 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 09:16 PM
イリジウム

Supreme Member
Interest about no brake lube. So the softer noise reducing layer may just be a hard rubber, and since petroleum greases break them down, Wagner doesn’t want anything near them??

Quote:
According to the instruction manuals of the Wagner pads. You must not use any type of lubricant on the "shimless" design, nor the arms of the pad that slide along the caliper hardware. If absolutely desired, you must use Wagners own silicone blend of goo. (Baloney) I used some left over Sil-glyde from NAPA parts, and never looked back. From time to time, maybe a good idea just to relube with any SYNTHETIC grease on the back of the TQ pad and the arms as they sit. What could it possibly hurt?
post #11 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 09:18 PM
イリジウム

Supreme Member
I don’t mind more braking effectiveness but Akebonos have been very reliable and predictable that inertia set in. 😄 no dust or noise complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gerber View Post
I had to have rear brake pads installed on my 07 Camry XLE while vacationing in Clearwater Florida thus past February. I didn't have any tools with me to do the work myself so I went to the local Pep Boys so at least I would have a nationwide warranty. They used Wagner TG's and cut the rotors with an on-car brake lathe. I watched the tech working on the car and he did a good job on the install. I have to agree with the good pedal feel but I do have one big complaint. The pads make a lot of black brake dust on my alloy wheels. I do have the Akebonos in the front and they do not produce anywhere near the amount of brake dust. Just my observation.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003)