Camry 2001 Power driver seat - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1992-1996 & 1997-2001, as well as Solara discussion for years 1999-2003. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 06-03-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Smile Camry 2001 Power driver seat

Only the recline on the driver seat works. The Motor for moving the seat forward or backward work fine but the seat seems stuck on one side. I have taken it out and lubricated everything. but the problem persists. The seat height adjustment motor does not work at all.

I suspect many of my fellow owners have similar problems. A new seat at $1100 is out of question, however the seat being the drivers seat needs o be adjusted. I tried the junk yards but I found non-working power seats in general.

Any good advice for me ? Other than get a new car soon?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-03-2019, 01:35 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
The motor for the recline on one of mine doesn't work that well. So my solution is not to recline the seat on that car, which can get a little annoying. I'm not clear where your issue is. Is it as if something is stuck on the track?

These power seats can be a pain. If it works intermittently, it's probably a loose connection of some sort.

Curious what others have to say too. If I was buying a new car today, I would get it with manual adjusting seats.

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Black, 146K as of 6/19
Bought 10/16 with 131K

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Lunar Mist Metallic, 96K as of 6/19
Bought 6/01 brand new
post #3 of 26 Old 06-05-2019, 11:27 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
While the seats in my 2000 camry i just bought work fine, but, i did have to repair the power seat in my 98 4runner. It also would not move forward/back. It turned out it was a fault in the wiring harness on the connection for the motor, i removed the quick connection and direct soldered the wires, works fine now, sure will be a royal PITA if i have to remove it but it cost me 50 cents in solder and it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 06-07-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Does anyone have a schematic for the power seat ?
I am assuming that the power seat has some way to know when it needs to stop and has hit some sort of a limit switch?

My motor functions Ok, but it seems to be trying to move just one side of the seat, or the mechanism for moving the seat is broken on one side.
I did take it out and lubricated everything but still have the problem.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-07-2019, 06:22 AM
2001 Camry XLE 1MZ-FE

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitechseeker View Post
Does anyone have a schematic for the power seat ?
I am assuming that the power seat has some way to know when it needs to stop and has hit some sort of a limit switch?

My motor functions Ok, but it seems to be trying to move just one side of the seat, or the mechanism for moving the seat is broken on one side.
I did take it out and lubricated everything but still have the problem.
It's the lame drive mechanism that Toyota used to move the seat forward and back. It's a cable with plastic gears, and when you run the seat up or back against the stop, it will skip a tooth on one side or both and the seat sliding rails gets canted to one side or the other and it binds up and won't move.

The solution is to remove the seat cushion and remove both of the square pins from the motor. Then wiggle the seat on the rails until it moves smoothly and then reconnect the square tins back into the motor and everything should be OK.

To avoid this in the future, don't move the seat all the way in the forward or backward position until it hits the stop and does the "click, click" thing. That's what gets it out of alignment.

I though I did a DIY on this problem, but I can't locate it, sorry.

2000 Camry LE 6-cyl, 77,000 - 230,000, traded it for a
2001 Camry XLE, 6-cyl, 87,000 - 165,000 and counting.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-08-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ok, I have found the root cause of the problem but I need a solution.
Both the gears( motor is OK) that drive the leadscrew to move the seat forward and backward seem to have lost a tooth or two. This means the seat moves about an inch in either direction. Picture is attached. Can this part be repaired or replaced ? I am not sure if I can even take it out of the rail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat gear'.jpg (107.8 KB, 16 views)
post #7 of 26 Old 06-08-2019, 06:58 PM
2001 Camry XLE 1MZ-FE

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitechseeker View Post
Ok, I have found the root cause of the problem but I need a solution.
Both the gears( motor is OK) that drive the leadscrew to move the seat forward and backward seem to have lost a tooth or two. This means the seat moves about an inch in either direction. Picture is attached. Can this part be repaired or replaced ? I am not sure if I can even take it out of the rail.
The simple answer is no.

None of the motor or drive mechanism is sold by Toyota separately. They only list the entire assembly for like $2000. Only way to get parts is PickNPull. You can verify this by going to http://www.toyodiy.com and setting up an account and enter your specific model to see whats available.

I've attached a few pics to show you what mine looks like, and you can compare them to your setup to see if they are similar. AFAIK the gears cannot be replaced individually, nor can the motors, or the cable mechanism that drives the gears.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat-pan.jpg (170.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg seat-pan-m0tors.jpg (130.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg seat-pan-drivers-side-gear.jpg (98.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg seat-pan-drivers-side-motor.jpg (112.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg seat-pan-drivers-side.jpg (99.4 KB, 14 views)

2000 Camry LE 6-cyl, 77,000 - 230,000, traded it for a
2001 Camry XLE, 6-cyl, 87,000 - 165,000 and counting.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajkalian For This Useful Post:
71Corolla (06-10-2019)
post #8 of 26 Old 06-09-2019, 10:39 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Power seat parts I think is overall complicated for these years. I don’t know what’s easier, doing valve covers in a V6 or taking apart the powered seats!

But yes, the parts are not solid separate. I’m trying to find a work around in my Cressida as one of the plastic clogs are broken for rear height adjustments.

I know land cruisers had issues with the seats too. I found this for the land cruisers but might give maybe some insights. I haven’t taken apart a gen3/4 Camry power seat so not sure if this would even work.

http://www.gamiviti.com/seatparts
ajkalian likes this.

'85 Camry DLX 162K
'87 Cressida 78K
'04 Camry XLE V6 119K
'98 Camry LE AE V6 228K
'06 IS250 + sport pkg 153K
'04 Camry SE I4 5SPD 199K
post #9 of 26 Old 06-10-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
This looks like a perfect way to go, and the only way to be sure that the gears are new. (Looks like a seat out of my Camry)

In my haste over the weekend, I did visit the recycling yard and found a seat out of a 2001 Camry for about $60. I shampooed the fabric etc to remove dust and material.
It works really good when reclining and going up and down.
It still has some problems with the forward and backward movement when mounted in the car. Its Ok out of the car.
My conclusion is that somehow, I need to realign the rails at the bottom, but not exactly sure how to do this. I also found that the seat belt clip on the new seat did not work so I transferred from my old seat.
I ran out of time over the weekend and will pick up the projects again on Friday evening.
The car also seems to have problems starting first time, so I intend to replace the solenoid connections and the plunger. I did order a new starter but I got one with the small black connector(cruise control?) instead of one that matches the connector on the car's wiring harness.
post #10 of 26 Old 06-10-2019, 10:01 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Probably obvious, but make sure that both the seat you pulled and the one your car came with don't have a side air bag.

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Black, 146K as of 6/19
Bought 10/16 with 131K

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Lunar Mist Metallic, 96K as of 6/19
Bought 6/01 brand new
post #11 of 26 Old 06-11-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I think the two seats are identical, but I am not sure about the air bags. I did bot see anything indicating side airbag. Is there a way to feasibly align the seat with the rails other than just observation ?
post #12 of 26 Old 06-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Seems to be a set of 2 gears on ebay, but the price is still exorbitant. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-1999-20...ty!03833!US!-1

No idea if this is legit, just searched out of curiosity.

If you're near a machine shop, you could probably get 2 cut for a lot less, but you'll need to supply accurate technical drawings -- or maybe a machine shop could duplicate yours if you can get them out. Or I guess you could buy a mini milling machine and pay for it by selling Camry power seat gears....

01 Avalon XL
03 Avalon XL
post #13 of 26 Old 06-11-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Selling Camry gears sounds good !
I think I have a seat now with working gears, but it does not work very well inside the car.
I need a procedure, if available without having to guess that will allow me to align the seat and the mounting rails correctly.
post #14 of 26 Old 06-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Official TN Member

Sorry, responded to an earlier state of the thread... should have hit F5 (refresh)

EDIT:
I've got this wrong.

The final drive turns the lead screw. The lead screw.... does what? Is there a follower on the lead screw that makes the seat go forward/backward?

If the follower on side A is not at the same position on its lead screw as the follower on side B, then it's possible that things could bind up.

The key would be to get the followers in sync... whatever they are. I can't make out from pictures in your thread what on the seat itself causes it to move forward/backward when the lead screw turns.

01 Avalon XL
03 Avalon XL

Last edited by OleAvalon; 06-11-2019 at 12:22 PM.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-11-2019, 12:28 PM
Official TN Member

Found this thread that shows how to adjust one side only: https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...ower-seat.html

Pulll the motor, separate the drive shafts from the final drives, then turn the final drive on the off-kilter side with a hex key.

This is not a well-engineered power seat.. but I guess that's obvious.

01 Avalon XL
03 Avalon XL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003)