Toyota Nation Forum banner

Inner CV Boot kit for v6 auto that actually fits/works?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  insightbrewery 
#1 ·
I've researched this up and down, my driver's side inner CV boot is starting to crack. I plan on converting the car to manual eventually (still gotta pull the trans/engine/other stuff from the donor car) but for now I want to be prepared if/when the boot goes, or even replace it now since the knuckles are still out. My car is a US built V6 LE auto and does NOT have the 6 bolt version at the rear. Ironically the outer versions seem fairly easy to come by (Beck-Arnley 1032804; Moog 5440B) but the inner one I'm having a hard time pinning down:

Looking through Rock Auto, the manuf sites and others, it seems like the options for the inner boot are:
- McQuay-Norris 662966 from Rock BUT looks like it's for the 6 bolt style and only 3 remaining

- Beck/Arnley 1032646 - like above also for 6 bolt style but even more so as it has the metal base:

- Doorman 614004 - this is truly a "universal" style and silicone but dang it has mixed reviews! Also looks like it will need boot stretcher tool for sure.

Has anybody actually replaced their inner boot on their US built, automatic without the 6 bolts? I'm tempted to try the McQuay Norris as it visually looks the closest, I have the crimper tool for that style clamp and is fairly inexpensive at closeout but want to check here first. :smile:

See less See more
#2 ·
Why not consider the OEM boot kit, which will certainly fit and will last at least as long as your original one did?

Follow up question: are you sure the drive shafts are not common between AT and MT? Gen 3 they were common, you didn't say what year yours is. If common, then simply swap with the one from your donor car.

Norm

#3 ·
I have a Japan built 1998 4 cylinder. I recall having trouble finding a driver side outer (next to wheel) boot. I remember measuring the axle length and consulting some reference list i found online or thru a auto parts supplier. I ended up getting the correct boot kit from Napa and they had to order it but it came in a day or two. Just a suggestion if the Toyota OEM boot is to expensive or not available.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
$30 for an OEM boot... Link.

Reactions: beaming62
#5 · (Edited)
Oh wow I must not have had enough coffee this morning, :surprise: I way overthought this and for some reason didn't even think of OEM haha.

As for the interchange, Ido not believe the M/T (off a 2000 Solara) will fit the A/T from the 98 (both v6). It's close but the compressed length appears to be just slightly shorter on the automatic. Everything is the same specs though-

Example: Comparing the Surtrak TO8144 for the manual is 27" long
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3854832&cc=1317493&jsn=370

To the Surtrak TO8143 for the auto is 25 15/16" long while every other spec is the same
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3857241&cc=1317493&jsn=365

#7 ·
If you're dealing with RA's catalog I find that there's some mishmash problems around when they changed from the 6-bolt to tulip. I usually look a few years forward to eliminate the 6-bolt from the catalog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.