Toyota Nation Forum banner

gas cap

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  carpdad 
#1 ·
Before I asked about the cap on 98 4 cyl. I changed the filler neck and the original cap was tight.

I'm still using that cap but today it was loose. There was also check engine light. I did not check the codes, realizing it may be the gas cap. I tightened it with 2 clicks. Before I turned it for one click. So for now I am assuming it was the gas cap and see what happens after driving for a while.

Before when I asked, few people said to use genuine toyota cap. Is that the Genuine brand from amazon, example, or a cap from the dealer, such as olathetoyota?

#4 ·
Should use OE cap on these (from official source, like the dealer...I don't trust Amazon "genuine" parts anymore). Toyota didn't start screwing up the gas cap design until the early 2000s, we still have the good ones that will last another 25 years. Aftermarket caps are all garbage, but if it works out for you, hey, it works out for you. That reminds me, I should change the yellow Flex-Fuel Stant garbage on my Taurus for a Motorcraft...did I just admit that I own a Taurus...

Reactions: carpdad
#5 · (Edited)
Tightened the cap, erased the code (p0440) and drove around a while. No more code. But I think I will get a new cap and see how it works, keeping the old one. Few people posted not to gamble with the cap (not just this forum) and there is that assurance over the long term. Gates and stant are well known names and I was surprised this time that more than a few people called them names.:smile:
I had to change the oil cap (lost it) and I think it was gates. It came without that click function. Very cheap but works.

Agree about the amazon. I can't even believe the packages anymore. I think it was this forum advice and went directly to tirerack.com for some brake parts. I think it was brembo rotors and somebody said don't buy that brand from amazon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.