DIY: GEN 3 Brake Shoe Replacement and Parking Brake Adjustment - Page 4 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1992-1996 & 1997-2001, as well as Solara discussion for years 1999-2003. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 54 Old 09-02-2014, 08:35 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Shoe hold down spring

Has anyone else had an issue with the shoe hold down spring and cap rubbing on the back of the hub/lug bolts? For some reason I can't get these out of the way and it makes a good bit of noise. Doesn't make sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 54 Old 03-06-2015, 03:59 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Why not let the self adjuster process do most of the adjusting? Most guides say to keep rotating the star wheel until slight restiance is felt when turning the drum then put it all back together. Why not install the wheel with the pads loose to make it easier then use the self adjusting process to snug it up properly? This would also prevent making the pads too tight and having them drag. Is there a reason to do most of the adjusting by hand first?

Some guides say you need to brake from reverse to get them to adjust. This one says you need to use the parking brake lever others show the normal brake pedal being able to activate the self adjuster. Which one of these is right?
\
Is the adjuster on a 92 Camry on the top or bottom? This one shows it at the top others on the bottom.
post #48 of 54 Old 01-30-2016, 05:17 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianappj View Post
Why not let the self adjuster process do most of the adjusting? Most guides say to keep rotating the star wheel until slight restiance is felt when turning the drum then put it all back together. Why not install the wheel with the pads loose to make it easier then use the self adjusting process to snug it up properly? This would also prevent making the pads too tight and having them drag. Is there a reason to do most of the adjusting by hand first?

Some guides say you need to brake from reverse to get them to adjust. This one says you need to use the parking brake lever others show the normal brake pedal being able to activate the self adjuster. Which one of these is right?
\
Is the adjuster on a 92 Camry on the top or bottom? This one shows it at the top others on the bottom.

It causes problems when the shoes are too loose, when the wheel cylinder pistons extend too far, the shoes don't make good contact with the drum, problems with the parking brake cable adjustment, etc.

It is much better to get it fairly snug as instructed previously, THEN let the self-adjuster do its work.
The Following User Says Thank You to pizzzabob For This Useful Post:
brianappj (02-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 54 Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does the hole circled in green ever used in the whole process?

Hi guys,

I'm a little puzzled. Does the hole circled in green ever used in the whole process? Please see the picture for Step 25. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Step25.jpg (532.4 KB, 74 views)
post #50 of 54 Old 05-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Anyone knows the thickness of the new OEM brake shoes and drums? And according to Toyota, at what thickness level should we replace them? Thanks!

2001 Toyota Camry 2.2L LE w/ Solara strut tower brace, Whiteline RSB, Moog links, KYB Strut Plus, Avalon 16'' wheels and 205 60 R16, 134k
post #51 of 54 Old 05-16-2019, 12:31 AM
Senior TN Member

My parking brake works properly as if now. I have read all the above comments. Just want to confirm 2 points.

1 there is no need to take the center console apart and adjust the parking cable there, right?

I can see OP did that trying to solve the malfunction of his parking cable. But that effort failed. He in the end replaced the whole cable. So he really should have edited out all these steps. They're just unnecessary and confusing here.

2 how exactly does self-adjuster work?

If the self-adjuster is tied to the parking cable, it has to be adjusted via pulling up parking lever. If it is connected to one of the brake shoes, it is activated by braking, forward or reverse. I guess it is pretty easy to tell for someone who has been there.

Then the easiest way to adjust the brake is indeed as someone mentioned before. Just use the starwheel to get it reasonably close. Then use the self adjuster to get it perfect.

I appreciate OP work. Just hope we can simplify and perfect the steps as our experience accumulates. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2001 Toyota Camry 2.2L LE w/ Solara strut tower brace, Whiteline RSB, Moog links, KYB Strut Plus, Avalon 16'' wheels and 205 60 R16, 134k
post #52 of 54 Old 05-16-2019, 04:53 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Thanked 1,411 Times in 1,334 Posts
Supreme Member
The parking brake cable will stretch with time. If the drum star wheel is properly adjusted and the hand lever clicks are between specs then you don’t need to open up the center console. Can’t remember at the moment if it’s 5-8 or 6-9. If the handle needs to be pulled beyond that or is pointing at the rear passengers 😉 then you need to adjust it or get new cables if you run out of adjustment.
post #53 of 54 Old 05-16-2019, 05:14 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
The parking brake cable will stretch with time. If the drum star wheel is properly adjusted and the hand lever clicks are between specs then you donít need to open up the center console. Canít remember at the moment if itís 5-8 or 6-9. If the handle needs to be pulled beyond that or is pointing at the rear passengers 😉 then you need to adjust it or get new cables if you run out of adjustment.
Cool, thanks! Those are steel cables. Can't imagine them to stretch that much. But I really have to try and see. Then the OP's explanation is not really unnecessary.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

post #54 of 54 Old 05-17-2019, 05:31 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
Anyone knows the thickness of the new OEM brake shoes and drums? And according to Toyota, at what thickness level should we replace them? Thanks!

Let me answer my question. I took the wheels and drums off today and measured the shoes. Both shoes have slightly more than 4mm left. This is after 18 years and 135k miles. I have no access to OEM shoes. However, I bought a set of Wagner in a sale many years ago. This is one of the premium class shoes on RockAuto and it is THE most popular one as marked by a red heart on RA. Guess what is the thickness of the brand new Wagner shoes? Slightly less than 5mm. WTF!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003)