A/C light flickers and A/C - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1992-1996 & 1997-2001, as well as Solara discussion for years 1999-2003. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
A/C light flickers and A/C

Hi all. Got a 97 Camry.

Yesterday, when I started up I noticed the A/C wasn't cold. Looked at A/C button and green light was flickering. I turned it off and on again and it was fine.

I don't know how to approach this...is it a fuse issue or something with the A/C itself or maybe some other electrical problem?

I also have intermittent problems with a power window and clock no longer works so I know I have electrical issues which I can live with...but can't lose the A/C...not in Texas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Official TN Member

The ac might flickering means there is a malfunction somewhere in the system. After you turned it off and back again, was the operation normal? Did the ac cool the car down or no?

If you aren't feeling any cold air I would suspect that you've got a leak somewhere and have leaked out most if not all the freon. Not to worry though, these cars have a mechanism where it detects low refrigerant levels and will not engage the compressor in fear of breaking components. If it was me I'd have the system evacuated and then recharged and make sure they add dye to your refrigerant. This will help guide you with leaks in the near future. I'd definitely get it checked asap if you're from Texas!!

Sent from my HTC Ruby using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #3 of 30 Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Official TN Member

Sorry I meant light not might

Sent from my HTC Ruby using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
thank you...yes it worked fine after I turned it off and then back on. And it is working fine today. That's why I don't know how serious it is. I hate to wait for it to fail completely but money is tight right now. Hoping it was just a minor glitch.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Waiting for expensive failure is what everybody does. So, why not? Money gets tighter when you have expensive failures that could be prevented with cheaper maintenance.

If it were mine, I'd at least get the system evac'd, replace the receiver dryer, and then recharged. Make sure that the belt is good, or if unknown, replace it.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Check the A/C amplifier (relay that switches the condenser clutch).

2004 RX330 Sport
2004 Matrix XR
1998 CamCE I4 Super Commuter!
1997 CamLE I4

Gone:
2003 Cam I4 XLE
2000 Cam XLE Gold Edition V6
post #7 of 30 Old 07-24-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info everyone!
post #8 of 30 Old 07-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Senior TN Member

The belt might have slipped a bit. Every once in awhile if I run the passenger side of my camry through a large puddle and the A/C happens to be on a engaged, the belt will sometimes slip and cause the light to blink. Turn it off, wait a bit and turn it back on and all is fine.

I have not had this issue since I replaced my compressor/clutch and belts, but then again it's been a super dry year and I don't think I've ran through a puddle since.

1995 Chevrolet 1/2ton ext cab 4x4 6.5l Turbo Diesel
1998 Toyota Camry 5SFE Auto
2002 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4
post #9 of 30 Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The same thing happened to me a few months ago. Except for me the blinking light came accompanied with a grinding sound, fluctuating RPM, and the A/C wasn't cold. Turned out my compressor had cracked and completely died. No problems with the car's A/C its whole life. I went to a pull a part and picked up a compressor for about $56 and had a friend install and recharge the system for me. Hopefully you don't have a bad compressor!
post #10 of 30 Old 07-28-2012, 07:00 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikdashim View Post
Hi all. Got a 97 Camry.

Yesterday, when I started up I noticed the A/C wasn't cold. Looked at A/C button and green light was flickering. I turned it off and on again and it was fine.

I don't know how to approach this...is it a fuse issue or something with the A/C itself or maybe some other electrical problem?

I also have intermittent problems with a power window and clock no longer works so I know I have electrical issues which I can live with...but can't lose the A/C...not in Texas!
I had the same problem you're having a month ago. I ended up replacing the ac power switches and the the amplifier. it cost me around $300 for everything. AC is back to normal.
post #11 of 30 Old 07-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Official TN Member

this just happened to me last month. At first when u turn it off and then turn it back on it will work. But soon it will stop working. The problem was the ac compressor. Once I replaced it ac was ice cold again

post #12 of 30 Old 07-29-2012, 01:35 AM
New TN User

Same thing happened to me i have a 2000 camry japan made, and my problem started a year ago. I had the same blinking light in the middle of summer, and tried different stuff like charging the system and buying new relays but none of that worked. So i gave up for a while then i started reading post and tried new things, i checked to make sure my relays were good by placing a wire from the negative to pin 1 and the positive to pin 2. I heard it click so that was good. Second i placed a jumper on the compressor clutch relay in the fuse box to see if the clutch would engage when then car was running, i notice that if i turned on blower fan in car and put a jumper for the clutch it would run and blow cold air. So i checked to see if I had voltage coming from the fuse box, and i had 14 vdc so i checked the print n i wasn't getting a triggered ground from the amplifier to the fuse box. Thats the reason my relay was not letting my compressor clutch engage. So problem solved i need a new amplifier.
post #13 of 30 Old 09-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Official TN Member

bringing this thread back. i have had the a/c light blink on me. the only time it has done it is when it would be raining and i would turn the defrost on but i would do it on heat because it works much better than cold a/c defrost. when i noticed it blinking. i turned it off and sometimes when i turn it back on the first time it'd still be blinking. but after i turned it off again it would come on back normal and blow cold if i turned the temp down.

it has never shown any problems since then and still blows relatively cold for 100 degree weather. blows really cold at night.

what would be causing my light to blink? is it from using the heater while the a/c is on? or is the wet weather causing a problem? something serious or something to get checked out before next summer?

Sold: 97 Camry Auto
Current: 2010 Camry XLE Auto
Soon To Be Sold: 2007 BMW 328i 6MT
post #14 of 30 Old 09-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Official TN Member

The blinking A/C light is telling you that the compressor is not running at the same speed as the engine. This could be a slipping A/C belt, A/C relay, compressor RPM sensor, A/C amplifier or the compressor is starting to lock-up.
post #15 of 30 Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Official TN Member

so its basically a sign of a failing component in the a/c system

guess it would be a good idea to just have the system checked out

Sold: 97 Camry Auto
Current: 2010 Camry XLE Auto
Soon To Be Sold: 2007 BMW 328i 6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003)