4th gen camry A/C minimal air from center vents 97 98 99 00 01 - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1992-1996 & 1997-2001, as well as Solara discussion for years 1999-2003. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 Old 10-16-2016, 03:42 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Just tore out my screen and it blows like a hurricane in there now. Thanks for this solution. Not worth putting money into a car with 291k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 Old 10-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Tried and gave up this attempt. It is not easy to take that swivel door off the dash. I spent 20 minutes on it. Finally I decided that it is a worse consequence if I broke it than having less air. So I gave it up.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-20-2016, 05:53 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Thanked 1,413 Times in 1,336 Posts
Supreme Member
^ sure, better safe than sorry.

However, try using two small (1/8" blade) slotted screwdrivers to evenly pry on the pivot points on both sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 19 Old 05-18-2019, 12:16 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1999 Camry LE 4-cyl. Thank you! This post is still helping folks 6 years later.

Removing the screen inside the middle vents worked for me!
The screen is more accessible from the right-middle vent. To get the middle vents out, I turned them sideways and pryed it out on the right side with a small flat ('minus' as they say in Canada) screwdriver, right next to the peg it swivels on. My thought was to use more surface area of the vent when prying to keep it from cracking. The left side of the vent has a flat square fitting that fits into a square notch - it's not as deep as the peg on the right, so it might be easier to dislodge the vent from left side, but I didn't try that. When replacing the vent, I put it in the same way, turned 'sideways' (facing up/down), and lining up the square fitting with it's slot. It clicked right it, and the right side was easier to get in than out.
The screen is one piece, and the right side came out easily, but it ripped in half when pulling it out. I'm thinking that if I would have pulled 'right' on it after dislodging it on the right side, instead of pulling it straight toward me, it wouldn't have ripped. Needle nose pliers kept ripping of small chunks of the remaining screen, so after several tries, I managed to grab enough of what was left and pull it out by hand, dislodging it by pulling it 'to the right' first.
Now the air is blowing like it was when it was brand new, and just in time for summer here in Arizona in the valley! Which reminds me, when I bought this car in '99, I test drove the Honda Accord and the Camry in the middle of the summer here, and picked the Camry because the A/C was better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003)