Android Auto FTW - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Entune Forum General discussion of Toyota's integrated multimedia navigation and telematics system.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-11-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
PilotGav

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Android Auto FTW

I apologise for being a dead horse but has anyone heard anything about Android Auto being added to Entune?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Here's how I added AA to my 18 Camry LE Hybrid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-08-24 15.51.09.jpg (344.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-08-24 15.46.40.jpg (345.6 KB, 27 views)

Jerry
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
post #3 of 7 Old 05-12-2019, 08:30 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The first roll-out of AA to 2020 models is expected to see the light of day sometime around Sept/Oct 2019.
This also will include SIRIUSXM standard feature that was announced in February.
This is all part of the newer ENTUNE head units now in production.

Current 2020 models (currently w/o) was informed will be retrofitted
though as to any 411 regarding the specifics, we will have to wait to find out.

Myself just purchased 2020 Carolla LE and dealer courtesy installed factory add on / integrated SIRIUSXM tuner (to hold me over until newer such is available)
Entune 3.0 system did not initially come with SAT RADIO.

Last edited by punkmfr; 05-12-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 07:41 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkmfr View Post
The first roll-out of AA to 2020 models is expected to see the light of day sometime around Sept/Oct 2019.
This also will include SIRIUSXM standard feature that was announced in February.
This is all part of the newer ENTUNE head units now in production.

Current 2020 models (currently w/o) was informed will be retrofitted
though as to any 411 regarding the specifics, we will have to wait to find out.

Myself just purchased 2020 Carolla LE and dealer courtesy installed factory add on / integrated SIRIUSXM tuner (to hold me over until newer such is available)
Entune 3.0 system did not initially come with SAT RADIO.
What about upcoming 2020 models? (Avalon, Camry, etc.) Will they come with it out of the gate? Or have to be retrofitted as well?
So the HU will be different again from the 2019 Carplay only ones?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 09:03 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
As I've already added an aftermarket Sirius/XM unit, I'd be happy if they came out with an AA deal the same as the CarPlay deal.

Jerry
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
post #6 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 05:28 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by im1knight View Post
What about upcoming 2020 models? (Avalon, Camry, etc.) Will they come with it out of the gate? Or have to be retrofitted as well?
So the HU will be different again from the 2019 Carplay only ones?
From what I was told (at dealer) that the second half of the 2020 models / production line will feature the newer head units (only difference is internal hardware)
Since Toyota committed to all 2020 models SIRIUSXM standard, i would think that there is going to be a lot of retro fits to keep customers happy.
As long as you have a 2020 regardless , at some point you should be quite safe in regards to Android Auto and other Entune upgrades.

Toyota Australia - just started rolling out ANDROID AUTO with Corolla 2020 so moving forward at least it good news.
(press release below / Toyota International) - Reference News

----------------------------------------------------------

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/toyot...-08/78641.html

Toyota confirms smartphone-mirroring upgrade
RAV4 to be first Toyota to receive no-cost Apple CarPlay/Android Auto retrofit

Toyota logo8 May 2019

By JUSTIN HILLIARD

TOYOTA Australia has confirmed that it will add smartphone-mirroring technology to select models, including the fifth-generation RAV4 mid-size SUV that has just entered showrooms, from the fourth quarter this year.

While Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support will be progressively rolled out as standard equipment, owners of the current-generation Corolla small car and Camry mid-size car, as well as early adopters of the new RAV4, will be able to have it retrofitted.

The Japanese brand said the retrofit will be available via its dealer network with only a “quick visit” to a local dealership required to have it installed.

Unlike its rival Mazda Australia that offers a similar service for about $500, Toyota Australia said its version will come at no cost to RAV4 owners, but it is still evaluating if existing Corolla and Camry owners will also receive it for free.

Brand T said more details about the retrofit will be released later this year, but it will only be compatible with the latest version of its infotainment system, which is currently only fitted to the Corolla, Camry and RAV4, all of which ride on the TNGA platform.

As such, the C-HR small SUV and Prius small car are set to miss out due to their older infotainment system, despite using the TNGA architecture.

Even the reborn Supra sportscar due later in 2019 is a contender for smartphone-mirroring technology given that the third-generation BMW Z4, its twin under the skin, is offered with wireless Apple CarPlay. It does not, however, support Android Auto.

Toyota Australia vice-president of sales and marketing Sean Hanley said Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support will build upon the Corolla, Camry and RAV4’s “already sophisticated” infotainment system.

“We know that today’s customers want to be able to access their smartphone apps anywhere, anytime and these systems offer a safe and convenient means of doing that directly through the advanced in-vehicle multimedia system,” he said.

Toyota Australia’s move leaves Nissan as the only other top-10 brand to not offer Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support with any of its models, although it is understood that the Leaf battery-electric vehicle will be its first model to have it when it arrives in July.

In the segment above, Toyota sister brand Lexus does not have either of the smartphone-mirroring technologies, while rivals Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi have at least one of them available across their line-ups.

Last edited by punkmfr; 05-26-2019 at 05:39 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 11:41 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkmfr View Post
From what I was told (at dealer) that the second half of the 2020 models / production line will feature the newer head units (only difference is internal hardware)
Since Toyota committed to all 2020 models SIRIUSXM standard, i would think that there is going to be a lot of retro fits to keep customers happy.
As long as you have a 2020 regardless , at some point you should be quite safe in regards to Android Auto and other Entune upgrades.
So by second half of 2020 models, you mean second half of the 2020 production time? So essentially there will be like a 2020.5 MY with the newer head units? Or do you mean second half by the 2020 models not covered in the initial news?

I was thinking of buying a 2020 MY at Christmas time frame, and hoping it would come with it ready. With retrofit there is always the uncertainty...
But if the 2020 first half is the same HU as the 2019, I might as well just pick up a 2019 right now as they have some amazing incentives...? If they are going to be the same HU I can only guess the 2019s will be retrofitted as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Audio, Video, and Security - Tech > Entune Forum