Freaking aftermarket parts - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 01-27-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
DIY Dad: if it has things, I'll tinker with it

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Freaking aftermarket parts

NOT my Toyota, but my daughter's '97 CR-V, but ties in with gobs of threads here and everywhere.

I am done with aftermarket parts on anything approaching criticality. When I had to replace my daughter's (19 year old kiddo, so still my baby girl!) LBJs, I went with a part that purports to be better than OEM, blah blah. Lower cost a bit too. Installed them about October of 2014, so maybe 15 months ago. Last night this happened.

She was moments from getting off the Interstate - 3 or so minutes earlier and.... ? She was right next to a strip mall so lurched in and parked. I drove down today to see what was what and found that. All wheel drive so I could not tow it - had to flat bed tow it to an in-law's house which happened to be about 1 mile away (convenient). DESTROYED the cv-axle - nuts were falling out of the torn boot and the wheel cocked outwards more and more. She had parked nose in to a store front so I had to drive it backwards to allow the truck to front end load it on the deck. Awful.

Anyway, that crap is over - no way I will ever put non OEM parts on any of my vehicles for suspension parts and other critical areas. I am just praying the tranny is not destroyed. Have to drive back down there this weekend to begin tearing it all down then replace parts. If she has been carrying her insurance like she says she has maybe we'll file a claim. But being 19....may not have been telling us the truth about that. Grrrr.
O_loung1, dandaman, JohnGD and 2 others like this.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)
'09 Camry SE 2.4L (2AZ-FE)
'97 Tacoma XL 4x4 Ext Cab 2.7L (3RZ-FE) - Manual
'97 Ford Explorer XLT V6 SOHC 4.0L 4x4

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SFCamry For This Useful Post:
hardtopte72 (01-27-2016), O_loung1 (06-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-27-2016, 10:20 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Sorry to see what is happened to your car. may I ask what is the manufacturer of that ball joint you got on there?
post #3 of 20 Old 01-27-2016, 10:22 PM
Top TN contributor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
I wise word of warning for those posting endlessly about trying to save $10-20 on an aftermarket part....
...especially on parts so critical to "structural safety"
...from tires to brakes to suspension parts, life-critical parts we should never try to skimp on....
Literally...penny-wise pound foolish no more true here than anywhere.
O_loung1 and Amory2 like this.

KitaCamry: an 05 J-vin LE 2.4/5-sp manual tranny with 17" Italian rims!....Enjoy your J Y T Y
The Following User Says Thank You to kitacamry For This Useful Post:
Donald E George (01-28-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-27-2016, 10:40 PM
Toyota Fanatic

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Thanked 4,427 Times in 3,154 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCamry View Post
NOT my Toyota, but my daughter's '97 CR-V, but ties in with gobs of threads here and everywhere.

I am done with aftermarket parts on anything approaching criticality. When I had to replace my daughter's (19 year old kiddo, so still my baby girl!) LBJs, I went with a part that purports to be better than OEM, blah blah. Lower cost a bit too. Installed them about October of 2014, so maybe 15 months ago. Last night this happened.

She was moments from getting off the Interstate - 3 or so minutes earlier and.... ? She was right next to a strip mall so lurched in and parked. I drove down today to see what was what and found that. All wheel drive so I could not tow it - had to flat bed tow it to an in-law's house which happened to be about 1 mile away (convenient). DESTROYED the cv-axle - nuts were falling out of the torn boot and the wheel cocked outwards more and more. She had parked nose in to a store front so I had to drive it backwards to allow the truck to front end load it on the deck. Awful.

Anyway, that crap is over - no way I will ever put non OEM parts on any of my vehicles for suspension parts and other critical areas. I am just praying the tranny is not destroyed. Have to drive back down there this weekend to begin tearing it all down then replace parts. If she has been carrying her insurance like she says she has maybe we'll file a claim. But being 19....may not have been telling us the truth about that. Grrrr.
I love the save a buck like the next guy, but that usually means finding the lowest price on the quality part.

When I did the wheel bearing in my Camry, I took a good 5 or 6 hours finding part numbers and scouring the internet before I finally found a new in box Koyo bearing for like $40 from some random reseller.

Like you have learned, parts quality is everything when you plan on keeping the car. Sometimes you can find the truly OEM equivalent without the manufacturer logo (Aisin water pump, Koyo bearings, Mistuboshi Timing Belt, Denso Sensors, etc.), sometimes you gotta go OEM (ball joints, VVT-i solenoids, sway bar end links, etc.), and sometimes it doesn't matter (oil filters, cabin filters, batteries, etc.).

At least everyone is alright and you got to share your experience. Not nearly as bad as your situation, but I posted this a while back:

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...xperience.html
O_loung1, mommafrica and Amory2 like this.

My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 (Shell Right Now)
2005 Corolla CE 1ZZFE M/T
2005 Sequoia Limited 2UZFE A/T
2008 LS460 SWB RWD 1URFSE A/T

If I helped out in any way please hit the Thanks button under my post.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardtopte72 For This Useful Post:
Donald E George (01-28-2016), mommafrica (02-26-2016)
post #5 of 20 Old 01-28-2016, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
DIY Dad: if it has things, I'll tinker with it

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
These are Mevotech, and after some searching last night I found some posts on various forums that the brand seems to have gone downhill a bit in the last few years. Just words on the 'net so who knows how "true" it is, but like I have seen people post about Moog, some claim that the parts have become outsourced to lowest cost then the brand slapped onto them. Other Honda people in Honda forums claim to have used Mevotech on their rides for years, so who knows. There always exists some defects in any brand...all I know is I have a shot LBJ and who knows how much stuff destroyed. Wait until you see the cv pics I'll take this weekend. Which is a weird thing, as when I replaced her steering rack this summer I had accidentally bought a new cv-axle for that side thinking it needed replacing (her driver side did), forgetting I had replaced that axle about a year prior. So I have a brand new axle sitting still in the box in my garage. At least there is that!

Oh and the possible irony here is that OEM ball joints are not that much different in cost than what I paid: at least not from what I am seeing now. Grrrr.
O_loung1 likes this.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)
'09 Camry SE 2.4L (2AZ-FE)
'97 Tacoma XL 4x4 Ext Cab 2.7L (3RZ-FE) - Manual
'97 Ford Explorer XLT V6 SOHC 4.0L 4x4

Last edited by SFCamry; 01-28-2016 at 06:26 AM.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Sorry about your luck, but on the bright side, nobody got hurt.
Amory2 likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Agreed with all of the above. If it's a critical part for safety/engine stuff, don't try saving a buck and using aftermarket parts, find an OEM part. Often times, you can find those OEM parts (or as mentioned above, true OEM equivs like Aisin, etc) online for the same cost as that aftermarket part, or a few bucks more. Non-critical parts, go ahead and save that buck as most of those parts are warranted for life anyways (well, suspension components like sway bar links and what not. Oil filters, it doesn't really matter).

2008 Lexus IS350 Tungsten Pearl
Osram CBI, F-Sport Sways, LED int, 3M 1080 Gloss Black Roof, 35/35/15 F1 Pinnacle Tint
Old: 2007 Camry SE 2.4: MDX Retrofit, LED int

Last edited by Zmon; 01-28-2016 at 12:08 PM.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-28-2016, 12:14 PM
TN's Hapa Haole

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Thanked 1,289 Times in 1,039 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
I've also tried to save money on some aftermarket parts, only to have them fail way too early. What a waste of money. better off just spending the extra money 1st time around.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-28-2016, 12:14 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2052 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitacamry View Post
I wise word of warning for those posting endlessly about trying to save $10-20 on an aftermarket part....
...especially on parts so critical to "structural safety"
...from tires to brakes to suspension parts, life-critical parts we should never try to skimp on....
Literally...penny-wise pound foolish no more true here than anywhere.
Yes, very true. I'm still learning the hard way here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtopte72 View Post
I love the save a buck like the next guy, but that usually means finding the lowest price on the quality part.

When I did the wheel bearing in my Camry, I took a good 5 or 6 hours finding part numbers and scouring the internet before I finally found a new in box Koyo bearing for like $40 from some random reseller.

Like you have learned, parts quality is everything when you plan on keeping the car. Sometimes you can find the truly OEM equivalent without the manufacturer logo (Aisin water pump, Koyo bearings, Mistuboshi Timing Belt, Denso Sensors, etc.), sometimes you gotta go OEM (ball joints, VVT-i solenoids, sway bar end links, etc.), and sometimes it doesn't matter (oil filters, cabin filters, batteries, etc.).

At least everyone is alright and you got to share your experience. Not nearly as bad as your situation, but I posted this a while back:

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...xperience.html
Quote:
These are Mevotech, and after some searching last night I found some posts on various forums that the brand seems to have gone downhill a bit in the last few years. Just words on the 'net so who knows how "true" it is, but like I have seen people post about Moog, some claim that the parts have become outsourced to lowest cost then the brand slapped onto them. Other Honda people in Honda forums claim to have used Mevotech on their rides for years, so who knows. There always exists some defects in any brand...all I know is I have a shot LBJ and who knows how much stuff destroyed. Wait until you see the cv pics I'll take this weekend. Which is a weird thing, as when I replaced her steering rack this summer I had accidentally bought a new cv-axle for that side thinking it needed replacing (her driver side did), forgetting I had replaced that axle about a year prior. So I have a brand new axle sitting still in the box in my garage. At least there is that!

Oh and the possible irony here is that OEM ball joints are not that much different in cost than what I paid: at least not from what I am seeing now. Grrrr.
What I've learn recently is ALWAYS...ALWAYS check to see if OEM/Genuine is CHEAPER or around same price. I've learned that sometimes going after market may cost even more. It's like going to walmart becuase you expect everything to be cheaper, so you don't second guess your decision...only until you find out that another small local business in your area sells the same thing for 2 for *same price*....

If aftermarket is cheaper by a decent amount, get the best after market. I usually get Moog or the top tier brands without issues.

Like getting the front top spring insulator for the Camry. The Genuine is a one piece top spring insulator + strut boot while the generic KYB is a two piece design. Having a one piece design helps installing the spring, although the quality of the boot seems better with KYB. Cost though and fit is of course better with Genuine.

Like wise, getting a PITA part replace...spend the extra money knowing it will fit fine versus getting an aftermarket one for 1/4 the cost...but not having it work 100% right...

'85 Camry DLX 162K
'87 Cressida 78K
'04 Camry XLE V6 119K
'98 Camry LE AE V6 228K
'06 IS250 + sport pkg 153K
'04 Camry SE I4 5SPD 199K
post #10 of 20 Old 01-28-2016, 01:42 PM
FMVSS 108 FTW

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
I am done with aftermarket parts on anything approaching criticality.
Ouch! Glad no÷ne was hurt, though. Things could have gone worse!

More important than "you get what you pay for": "You don't get what you don't pay for."
post #11 of 20 Old 06-12-2019, 05:02 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,355 Posts
Supreme Member
See also:

https://www.moogparts.com/technical/...-moog-app.html

So be very careful folks, cheap ball joints are NEVER cheap!

For SFCamry yeah just use Honda OEM joint. For others consider Moog non-greasable too. The only one I'd use for Honda LCA joint.

paulbot likes this.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Glad no one was hurt. Hope the collateral damage is not too much.

I've had great luck, for the most part, with aftermarket parts. The exception to this was once on a 1973 Vega fuel pump and once on a 1991 Caravan fuel pump. Since then, only OEM fuel pumps.

When I purchase from RockAuto, I never go with the "economy" stuff. Same way with places like O'Reilly's, NAPA, and the Zone. I don't buy the premium parts, per say, but I never purchase the lowest price el cheapos. I've also had good luck on good, low mileage salvage parts.

Now, excuse me while I go knock on a whole lot o' wood after these statements. Again, glad your daughter's OK!

The Stable:
'00 Camry (adult daughter's)
'03 Avalon (daily driver)
'04 Avalon (wife's)
'05 Solara (adult son's)
'01 Silverado
post #13 of 20 Old 06-16-2019, 03:25 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,355 Posts
Supreme Member
For completeness, Toyota certainly had their share of shoddy ball joint designs that were recalled. Vehicle lifetime is usually defined as 10 years or 100K miles, so it's reasonable to expect replacement then preventatively.

Lexus had a lot of headaches with ball joint failures too. I guess OEM while better than most is no guarantee of quality. [Edit: Working links updated. iOS Safari sucks.]

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...t-failure.html
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...ailure.520958/
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...with-pics.html
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...up-thread.html

A Toyota ball joint recall:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ll_joints.html

Mevotech ball joint failure:
https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/fi.../topics/561146

A Sequoia (from the 2nd 4runner thread above):
O_loung1 and Amory2 like this.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-16-2019, 03:33 PM
Toyota Collector

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,284 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
For completeness, Toyota certainly had their share of shoddy ball joint designs that were recalled. Vehicle lifetime is usually defined as 10 years or 100K miles, so it's reasonable to expect replacement then preventatively.

Lexus had a lot of headaches with ball joint failures too. I guess OEM while better than most is no guarantee of quality.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...re.html‬

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...520958/‬

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...cs.html‬

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...ad.html‬

A Toyota ball joint recall:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ll_joints.html
Only one of those links works.

Post pics of one of your cars I'd love to see what a vehicle looks like loaded with aftermarket parts you pimp over and over.

2000 Lexus ES300 Millenium Edition
1990 Camry LE V6 Anniversary Edition 5-Speed
1990 Camry LE V6 WAGON
1987 Camry LE I4 5-Speed
post #15 of 20 Old 06-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
I'm getting a headache trying to verify if all of JohnGD's links of Toyota parts failures, come up in my browser. XD But I think I have at least 4 out of 5 that 71Corolla listed, that came up okay.

What is interesting, though, is that I had them all open in tabs, and successfully, but then tried to open them all again in more tabs (don't ask me why, just being a dorkhead, I guess XD), and THAT time most of them said 'Link not found.' So 71Corolla, maybe you did that also?

I've just tried to open the 5 you listed yet a third time, and now they again say 'Not found' or 'Error.' But I swear the first time I opened them all (this is using Opera web browser--basically a repackaging of Chrome, on a Windows desktop) they all opened okay.

I'll try nuking the cookies for those websites and see if I can bring the threads up again successfully.

Last edited by Amory2; 06-20-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)