2009 Camry SE Mod and Fix 'er Up Thread - Page 8 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 118 Old 04-15-2019, 10:06 PM
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCamry View Post
It's the little things that make a day brighter...

Driver's door:

The little insert disappeared when my daughter had it. I kept snagging the screw head with my nail. Pissed me off. Fixed that.

Passenger Door (front):

I had replaced the driver door handle cover as it was pretty scratched up. That made the passenger door handle pale in comparison. Fixed that.

Take that CDO (in order like GOD INTENDED!!!!) (lol)
Looks very nice !!!

Sent from my A622GL using Tapatalk

MDX-TSX-R HID RETROFIT, XENON DIGITAL BALLASTS, 85122 + BULBS, GEN 6.5 CHROME WHEELS, ADVENT NAVI MEGANF.S.T.B. BLACKED OUT HEADLIGHTS, W.T FLOORLINER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 118 Old 04-22-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
DIY Dad: if it has things, I'll tinker with it

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Feeling good about my engine rebuild:

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)
'09 Camry SE 2.4L (2AZ-FE)
'97 Tacoma XL 4x4 Ext Cab 2.7L (3RZ-FE) - Manual
'97 Ford Explorer XLT V6 SOHC 4.0L 4x4

post #108 of 118 Old 04-23-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Got the AC recharged today. $151. $100 for labor, $41 and change for "supplies". Tax for the rest. I probably should have just hooked a can up and did it myself, but I wanted the levels to be precise. Hopefully this local shop was "precise". I discharged the AC when I pulled the old engine, been running without it since. If I had to do it again I would have pulled the radiator and left the lines attached to the compressor to avoid the discharge/re-charge.
glenn14 likes this.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 118 Old 05-06-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
The Camry shows the outside temp, but I have always been interested in seeing the inside temp as well. So I bought this cool looking gadget:

1.89" across, 0.59" deep, 0.98" tall. It comes pre-wired with a USB cable so I also bought a 12VDC USB dongle thing to hook a power feed to. The temp gauge needs 5VDC so I needed that converter. All of it was cheap. The temp gauge was $12.59 and the converter was $9.89.

I really like the look of this gauge. Comes as C for the readout, but you remove a jumper and it goes to F. I'll find some panel I can pop it into. Think I will get one for the 4Runner as well. And Oh My how I love my DC power unit to test these kinds of things!

Temp gauge Temp gauge

Converter Converter

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

post #110 of 118 Old 05-07-2019, 08:58 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Nice gadget! I am curious where can you put this temp gauge. I have the 08 xle v6 and want to get one.
post #111 of 118 Old 05-07-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqsaigon View Post
Nice gadget! I am curious where can you put this temp gauge. I have the 08 xle v6 and want to get one.

No idea yet - not much space anywhere that is visible. I have a plan to pull the dash insert out that contains the clock and put a custom deck in there that can hold things like this, but that is a ways down the road yet. I'll figure someplace and post it up.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

post #112 of 118 Old 05-17-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I've thought a bunch about the paint. I don't feel like dropping thousands, or many hundreds for a shitty rip off shop paint job. So... I am pretty sure I am going to fill any deep scratches with the paint pen then sand/buff it smooth, fill any deep rock rash kind of things and get that wheel well dent smoothed out, then do this:

https://www.dipyourcar.com/collectio...12099973742660

I like this color, Motor Oil. Should look nice on my Camry with the ash interior. I'll buy their sprayer to match up to their tutorials. Kit to do this for $484. I've rattle can Plasti'ed the hood stripe I put on so know how easy it is to apply and peel off. And I've watched how to fix scratches and bad gouges in the surface for later touch ups. Since the Motor Oil kit is not high gloss the application will be easier and more forgiving. And I am not trying to look too BALLER in the I4, just a nice look. I may go with those wheels as well you see on the product page (whatever is close to it) as I like that color pairing. I am in the market to do that anyway.

Sometime this warm season!

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

Last edited by SFCamry; 05-17-2019 at 02:00 PM.
post #113 of 118 Old 05-17-2019, 02:12 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Quote:
I've thought a bunch about the paint. I don't feel like dropping thousands, or many hundreds for a shitty rip off shop paint job. So... I am pretty sure I am going to fill any deep scratches with the paint pen then sand/buff it smooth, fill any deep rock rash kind of things and get that wheel well dent smoothed out, then do this:

https://www.dipyourcar.com/collectio...12099973742660

I like this color, Motor Oil. Should look nice on my Camry with the ash interior. I'll buy their sprayer to match up to their tutorials. Kit to do this for $484. I've rattle can Plasti'ed the hood stripe I put on so know how easy it is to apply and peel off. And I've watched how to fix scratches and bad gouges in the surface for later touch ups. Since the Motor Oil kit is not high gloss the application will be easier and more forgiving. And I am not trying to look too BALLER in the I4, just a nice look. I may go with those wheels as well you see on the product page (whatever is close to it) as I like that color pairing. I am in the market to do that anyway.

Sometime this warm season!
Not much of a fan the plastidip like I explained in the other thread. Vinyl wrapping is hard with angles but it can give you a very nice and uniform look.

post #114 of 118 Old 05-17-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I have a hood off a 'vette (I think that was what it was on) I scored from a junk yard for free I plan to practice on. It's all in the prep and application. I can get the cheapest gallon and hit it, peel it, hit it, peel it, etc. until I am steady with it.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

post #115 of 118 Old 05-17-2019, 02:45 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
I have a hood off a 'vette (I think that was what it was on) I scored from a junk yard for free I plan to practice on. It's all in the prep and application. I can get the cheapest gallon and hit it, peel it, hit it, peel it, etc. until I am steady with it.
That is just about all of it. Just from my little experiences with plastidip and vinyl wrapping my roof, I prefer to just pay someone to paint (and fix scratches & rust) whenever I do have that happen. Even the roof, I sorta prefer to just pay someone to vinyl wrap my roof because this is my second try doing it while it does look great, the cutting and tucking of the wrap is not great and I have some "veins" on the end of it. The start of the wrap looks good, the end of the wrap has the "veins".

post #116 of 118 Old 05-18-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Fixed my passenger side sun visor that was busted. Posted a thread on how to do it here: 6th Gen Camry Sun Visor Repair

Bad:

Good:

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

post #117 of 118 Old 06-10-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
With the swing in temps (40 degree swing from yesterday to today as example) and the high chance of showers over the next few months., I figured it was time to pull the trigger on some window visors. Every time I crack the windows to keep the heat from building to nuclear level the rainstorms drift in and either soak the seat or, as was the case last week, deposit a lot of hail into the seat (even with a small crack).

So I researched and bought these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W2KVQBZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W2KVQBZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheapest option on Amazon, but had the best ratio of positive/high reviews. Could all be crap, but for $39, what the hell.

They do look nice. I am not 100% sold on outer window attachment as I think it will come off too quickly, but if it does I can always put new auto tape on it to re-secure. Many in-channel options gave poor fit reviews for this model Camry.

Installed:

Pros:

Low cost
Looks nice
Chrome strip matches OEM for clean look
Easy install

Cons:

The fit is touchy. The driver window runs are a tad long and overhang onto the passenger pillar a tad.
The tape strip is tricky to get off and not peel off the entire tape. Super sticky and it wants to pull it all off, so you have to be mindful.
No alcohol prep pads in the kit
Have to be super careful with the placement: once you stick it it is stuck (which in some ways may be a Pro)

We shall see how they hold up, and if I get some bad wind noise.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

post #118 of 118 Old 06-10-2019, 10:10 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
With the swing in temps (40 degree swing from yesterday to today as example) and the high chance of showers over the next few months., I figured it was time to pull the trigger on some window visors. Every time I crack the windows to keep the heat from building to nuclear level the rainstorms drift in and either soak the seat or, as was the case last week, deposit a lot of hail into the seat (even with a small crack).

So I researched and bought these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheapest option on Amazon, but had the best ratio of positive/high reviews. Could all be crap, but for $39, what the hell.

They do look nice. I am not 100% sold on outer window attachment as I think it will come off too quickly, but if it does I can always put new auto tape on it to re-secure. Many in-channel options gave poor fit reviews for this model Camry.

Installed:

Pros:

Low cost
Looks nice
Chrome strip matches OEM for clean look
Easy install

Cons:

The fit is touchy. The driver window runs are a tad long and overhang onto the passenger pillar a tad.
The tape strip is tricky to get off and not peel off the entire tape. Super sticky and it wants to pull it all off, so you have to be mindful.
No alcohol prep pads in the kit
Have to be super careful with the placement: once you stick it it is stuck (which in some ways may be a Pro)

We shall see how they hold up, and if I get some bad wind noise.
WeatherTech in-line visors work great for me. A bit expensive but worth the money. I was able to warranty my front ones about four years after I bought them because when I first bought them I had broken some of the plastic that sits near the side mirrors. The rear ones are 3m taped in and those are not coming out ever.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)