2009 Camry SE Mod and Fix 'er Up Thread - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 116 Old 08-12-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
DIY Dad: if it has things, I'll tinker with it

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2009 Camry SE Mod and Fix 'er Up Thread

Now that my '09 Camry (Salma) has had her tranny replaced:Tranny Break It Yourself Adventure, and now the engine swap: 2AZ-FE Engine Swap Adventure it is time to do some serious touch up work. This thread will take many months (year or more) to journey the work, but it is now where I will park the mods, fixes, and updates to Salma.

COMPLETED:

Ghost/Puddle Lamps ($12)
Painted front spoiler trim areas ($0 already had the paint and tape)
Deep clean upholstery ($3 or so worth of soap, not counting the cleaning tool bought to use across all my vehicles)
Dent repairs ($3 worth of glue, not counting the tool kit which will be used for all vehicles)
Camber bolts ($30)
New door actuator (driver) ($40)
New door check (driver) ($64)
Various trim pieces ($40)
USB power port swap in center console ($11)
JVC Double DIN HU retaining JBL amp and steering wheel controls (~$600)
Two 30A power runs from battery to center console deck, for power to accessories (~$200 for all wire, relays, bus bars, connectors, loom material, etc.)
Auto dimming/compass mirror upgrade ($45 off eBay)
Front Rotors (NAPA Premium brand - $119 for pair)
New windshield ($168)
Re-charged AC ($151)

TO COME (no particular order):

New tint
New headlight assemblies
New taillight assemblies
New spoiler (front)
New bumper and spoiler (rear)
New rims
New tires
Sound dampening on all interior surfaces
New carpet
New exhaust manifold (front CAT)
NEW O2 sensors
New paint and detailing
New upholstery (maybe - thinking leather)
Rebuild caliper boots
Paint calipers/brackets
LED lighting interior (mood and effects)
LED lighting exterior (effects)
Replace all trim molding/rubber molding
Better backup and side mirror cam setup with custom monitor setup
Remote start
Push button start
glenn14 and oleshka10 like this.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)
'09 Camry SE 2.4L (2AZ-FE)
'97 Tacoma XL 4x4 Ext Cab 2.7L (3RZ-FE) - Manual
'97 Ford Explorer XLT V6 SOHC 4.0L 4x4

Last edited by SFCamry; 04-23-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 Old 08-12-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Headlight Restoration

These assemblies are aftermarket and 2-3 years old. I do not like them at all, and at some point will put in some expensive "smoke" LED halo type units. Until then I had to do something to get mroe light out of them and to have them not look so bad. Since this will be my DD, and with winter coming I will be driving in dark to and from work, need to make sure I get light.

Had this in my garage for a few years now:

1000 grit and 3000 grit sandpaper, cutting polishing compound, sealant/top compound, drill applicator pad, microfiber towel.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Did an OK job for now. I think I will need to remove the assemblies and spend time with them with my orbital sander going as low as 800 and incrementing up to the 3000 , then spend time with the compound with them out. That should take care of them for a year or so. The sun here at 7,000 feet is brutal.

--- LATER UPDATE ----

This is a worthless endeavor if you don't apply new clear coat on the headlights. Once they are ground down they will glaze up within days. Had I hit them with a good rattle can clear coat it would have been OK. Since I get moisture intrusion in these I am just going to dump them and put in new assemblies some day.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

Last edited by SFCamry; 02-28-2019 at 10:13 AM.
post #3 of 116 Old 08-13-2018, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
My first round of goodies came in today:

Three things: the BAFX decibel meter, the puddle lamps, and the replacement screen for the backup camera system.

The puddle lights are probably the fastest and easiest mod I have ever done. 1 minute and it was over. Small screwdriver to pry out existing lamp, unplug, plug in new, pop in, done. As soon as it is dark enough I will take a pic and post an edit here to show it.

LATER:

Not bad for about $12 and about 1 minute of effort.

I did a backup cam install: https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...a-install.html that I am a bit proud of as I also engineered a switch to turn on the cam when I choose to. Some asshat tore the screen off when my daughter had the car (break in) but everything else seems to be OK. So I ordered a replacement screen. Will know in a bit as I go out and put it in.

The DB meter will be fun. I plan to take up all the flooring, head liner, and remove the dash and back seat and put in Noico 80mil sound barrier to quiet Salma down a bit. Before I do that I want to get readings of the cabin noise on various streets (neighborhood, interstate, yada yada). Then when I do it take the readings again and see if it made a measurable difference. If it does I will do the same for the 4 Runner. When you do 1,000 mile road trips about every year, plus the 22k a year just driving to work, road noise gets bothersome. Let's see what we see!
spost likes this.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

Last edited by SFCamry; 08-13-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 116 Old 08-18-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
The replacement camera screen works fine.

A fuse was blown so there was no power to the switch for it - probably shorted when the jerk tore the old cam out. For some reason it will not engage when in Reverse, only when I use the switch I wired in. I'll open up the rear light some other day to see if something shook loose there, or if another junction area got fouled. It works with the switch so that will be fine for now. Green is still coming out red, so either the video wire I have running from back there to the cam is goofed, or the camera itself is bad in that color region. I don't care - the image is clear so makes no difference to me what color the things are.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

post #5 of 116 Old 08-21-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
These came in today:

4 spools of 16 AWG wire, some add-a-circuit taps, and some Bosch style relays. Now I will be able to tap into some aux or ign circuits and use that power for a trigger (via relay) to some things to add. yay!

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

post #6 of 116 Old 10-06-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Today was body work day. Used my new PDR kit (Paintless Dent Repair), hammer, punch, stuff like that.

Some time ago some drunk slammed into a car next to the Camry in a parking lot and pushed that car into the side, causing a deep dent in the driver side passenger wheel well. Since the a-hole hit and ran there was no way to get 'em, and the car had no comprehensive at the time. I spent time today working that dent. On the left is the original, on the right where I left it after round 1.

I removed the inner liner for the rear wheel (after taking the wheel off) and pounded the dent outward from the well. That helped a lot. I also pulled some of the dent with the PDR. I'll try more PDR work later, but if I can't get it to budge more then I will just fill from that point.

My daughter must have backed into something at some point as there was a deep crease dent in the trunk. It ran down to the latch mechanism. On the left you can see the indent where the trunk meets the top of the bumper. On the right is after repair work. Lots of PDR pulling and some hammering on the metal sheeting where the latch is. I had to remove the plastic liner and pull the seal off and work the metal ridge. Made an improvement. It was hard to detail the crease dent in the light, but it does look much better.

Tomorrow I pull the front bumper off and do some repairs there.
Kingdom934 likes this.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

post #7 of 116 Old 10-07-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Pulled the rear bumper off today. Wanted to try to fix this:

When my daughter took it to LA a few years back someone rear ended her. Was too much hassle to track the dude down and deal with it so I left it. I was hoping to glue up the split. Tried Gorilla glue and all I managed was to get my fingers black thanks to glue and dirt. Be some days before I get all that off! Nothing was really fixed, but here is the process to remove the bumper.

You need a 10mm and a 12mm socket, and an extension. Alternately you can use a Phillips screw driver as the screws have the slots or the bolt head.

There are ten bolts (screws with 10mm heads) you need to remove, plus two awful pins.

In each wheel well are two 10mm tapping screws. You need to remove each one. In the photo it is buried up behind that oval hole cut in the material. You can't easily see the screw head but you can feel it. An extension will get you there.

Pop the trunk and you have two tabs to remove that have a 10mm screw behind them

Under the bumper by each wheel well are a 10mm screw to remove. In this photo it is NOT the 10mm bolt head you see, it is the screw behind it you can barely see. That foreground bolt deals with the SE bumper lip

Under the bumper are four 10mm screws to remove

There is a plastic shield that covers the gas tank and attaches to those four screws, and there are 12mm nuts to loosen so you can drop the shield. I did not get a photo but you will see them when you slide under the car. The nuts stay attached to the shield so you loosen them enough to allow the shield to drop down and free from the bumper.

Then the real PITA. I have no idea how these are suppose to come off. Mine starting breaking the minute I touched them. The plastic that runs to the bumper is creased and thin, and the metal tabs these are connected to are thin. You run a good risk of breaking either if you are not careful. I wound up breaking the pins (not the metal tab or bumper thankfully) so used zip ties to put it back together.

Then you just start pulling. Makes an awful sound, but it is stable. You grab each bumper section by the tail light and pull outward, walking it around. It will pop off.

Here is what it looks like under the bumper

Run the reverse to re-attach. Not too big a deal.
Kingdom934 likes this.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

Last edited by SFCamry; 10-08-2018 at 03:15 PM.
post #8 of 116 Old 10-08-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Took her to get aligned today. Camber was out, shop said I needed to get alignment bolts. Rather than pay them $65 for the two bolts plus $85 for labor, I hit NAPA and picked up the two bolts for $30 and DIYed it:

Took off the top bolt and replaced with the adjustment bolt:

Loosened the bottom bolt and it works - can adjust + or -. These bolts give you +/- 1.75 degrees. Taking her back to the shop later to get it all squared away.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

post #9 of 116 Old 10-20-2018, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
My filler panels came in today.

The SE has a spolier on the front and rear bumpers. The filler panels help attach the bumper to the spoiler. On mine one was completely missing on one side, and the channels that the fastener docks into are munched on the other, so I ordered replacements. Not OEM but OE supposedly. We will see.

This is the OEM filler I have now:

These are the ones that came in today:

The filler panels attach to the bumper with an M6-1.00x16mm bolt. The OEM bolt has a flared head to act as a washer (you can see it under my finger in the first photo - 10mm head); when you buy a bolt from an auto store you will need a washer. The replacement panels do not come with these bolts, although they do come with the retainer clip to thread into. One of my panels was gone and the other damaged so I replaced them both.

Not the right color, but they are mostly hidden, and I plan to paint the spoiler black anyway. Since my front spoiler is nearly toast, I am about to pull the trigger on buying a replacement. OEM is a tad over $200, aftermarkets get as low as $88 with a $79 shipping (!!). I have a $144 one sitting in my Amazon cart (free shipping), just waiting for me to hit the button.

I also had ordered a 3" backing plate and various 6" and 3" sanding disks and cutting/polishing discs for my new DA polisher. When all those arrive I will start cleaning up some scratches and stuff.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

Last edited by SFCamry; 10-20-2018 at 09:23 PM.
post #10 of 116 Old 10-20-2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I put the fillers in today, and ground down the fog lights. They were very hazed due to 10+ years of road wear, so I hit them aggressively starting (all by hand and wet sanding) at 220 grit, then 800 (I didn't have 400), then 1,000, then finally 3,000 grit. Finished them off with the Meguire's cutting compound for headlights and then a plastic coat. They got a bit better, but they are too far gone unless I try again with a power sander and really grind them down and cut/polish them back up. When I completely re-do the bumper I will try that.

I also attacked the headlights again since the bumper was off. Same deal - started with 800 grit, then 1,000 then 3,000 before the cutting compound and polish. The driver side came out nice, but the passenger side is too far gone so still looks a bit crappy. Cheap aftermarket assemblies. I'll post photos tomorrow when the light is back. When I do the paint I will put in more expensive smoke assemblies.

With the fillers in the bumper was ready to go back on, but I really wanted to take the moment to paint the grills. I am opting to hold on replacing the spoiler until I can paint the car, as there is no point in pitting up a new spoiler in the mean time. Next late Spring I will commit to painting this beast. At that time I will replace the spoiler and sand the car down and paint it back up. But I did pop out the grills and painted them gloss black. I am going to let them cure all weekend as the paint stays a bit tacky in this cooler and more humid weather. I'll take a pic of the interim bumper work when put back together.

I spent a lot of time prepping the plastic, first cleaning it with a degreaser and a toothbrush, then pulling a cloth through every hole repeatedly to get it as clean as I could. I should have hit it all with 2,000 grit to even out the pits, but I will do that when I do the real paint job. Taping around the top grill was painstaking and took some time with all the curves, but it paid off. Nice clean lines to delineate the gloss black of the grill and the normal color of the bumper insert. It's going to look nice all put back together.

Bumper part numbers for those of you with the 2007-2009 Camry SE:

Front Bumper
52119-06150
-06160W/HOLE

52110-06230 without Fog Lights
-06220 with Fog Lights
-06210 SE trim

Spoiler Filler panel, Left: 52113-06010
Spoiler Filler panel, right: 52112-06010
Spoiler (SE): 76851-06905
Kingdom934 likes this.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

Last edited by SFCamry; 10-20-2018 at 09:27 PM.
post #11 of 116 Old 10-21-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Tinkering today. I have all this paint I have been sitting on for years, so figure why not use it. Removed the cowl today. This is a part you really can't see unless you have the hood up, and then you are not looking at it. But, it was dull and splotchy from the years.

So I hit it with 2,000 grit paper to remove some of the water stains and such, cleaned it with a household degreaser, then painted it. What else to do when bored?

Paint has no purpose in life when it sits in a can. It desires to be coating something.
Kingdom934 likes this.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

post #12 of 116 Old 10-21-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Results of the grill paint:

Ignore the dirty plastidip lip that I should have washed to take the pic. The grills were the same grey color prior, now they are a gloss black. Gives a nice tone to it all. I should have popped the fog light inserts out and painted them as well. I will do that when I change the spoiler and bumper next year.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

post #13 of 116 Old 10-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
So what did you do to not get the typical Toyota "forever" out of your original engine and trans? I was thinking of posting something similar. This weekend, I installed one of those MPC remote start kits on my '09 SE. It works well, functions almost exactly like factory, no extra crappy remote, no need to defeat the immobilizer keys.

15 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES 50k miles
09 Toyota Camry SE 2.4 216k miles
91 Isuzu Impulse Wagon 667k miles RIP
95 Toyota Camry XLE V6 315k miles RIP
post #14 of 116 Old 10-21-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham5481 View Post
So what did you do to not get the typical Toyota "forever" out of your original engine and trans? I was thinking of posting something similar. This weekend, I installed one of those MPC remote start kits on my '09 SE. It works well, functions almost exactly like factory, no extra crappy remote, no need to defeat the immobilizer keys.
I blame myself for the transmission: even with Hardtopte72's great DIY and advice on flushing the trans fluid I did a drain and fill only, and months later the trans died. A bit weird on my end as it clogged up the lines going out of the radiator (most may not have that happen) but there you go. Had I flushed when I drained I would have noted and fixed that probably and not have had to replace the trans. The engine was Toyota's 2AZ-FE piston design fault - well, and my daughter running it dry. When you don't put oil in and run it, well...

I am jonesing to add a push button and remote start. Mine does not have the smart key, just regular old metal key. I am toying with the more expensive kits versus a simpler kit to add in the start button. That will be a later project. But I will do it some day next year. For now I am focusing on the body. Bumpers, paint, dents. Right before painting I plan to replace all the weather seals and rubber strips and smoke tint the chrome strips under the windows. And I am almost certain I will add black stripes up the hood and down the trunk. I'll paint it the same factory grey but go with a nice black (maybe the 4Runner Attitude Black) for the striping. I am really excited to learn the body work techniques and paint/top coat capability.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

post #15 of 116 Old 10-21-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Couldn't help myself. Tape, cover the lens, paint.

And then I discovered I forgot to put the bumper dampener back on. Sigh. Will have to remove the bumper this week to put it in, then reattach the bumper.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)