HELP? Passenger side doesn't heat on 2008 Camry XLE, V6, Dual Air Control, - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-19-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
HELP? Passenger side doesn't heat on 2008 Camry XLE, V6, Dual Air Control,

Looking for some help here, and apologies ahead of time for the long post. I have a 2008 Camry XLE (v6 version), with dual air controls for both the driver and passenger sides. The driver’s side works well for both cold and hot air, and all vent positions, but the passenger side only blows cold air, even when the temp input has been enabled to blow warm air. The passenger control over vent changes to dashboard defrost, vent and floor works fine, it just blows cold air. From my Google enabled experience, it sounds like passenger side actuator unit is malfunctioning.

To locate the Actuator unit, I took apart the glovebox, and a few other things, and I found what appears to be an all in one pack with 2 actuators. One works well when I redirect the airflow, and the other does not do anything when I change any controls – might be the problem actuator! My Chilton manual does not help much on removing these actuators, but the wiring diagram does provide insight into which actuator is which as it identifies the color clips for each of the cars 4 actuators. The passenger side actuator has a green electrical plug – problem actuator identified, which also is attached to the white control arms that do nothing no matter how I try to change the settings. (Circled in green on the attached photo)

The “servo/actuator housing” (not sure what to call it) appears to hold 2 actuators (passenger side heat/AC Control is one (green electrical plug on the bottom), and the other is the defrost, vent floor control (red electrical plug on top). On the Toyota parts diagram, it’s #15 on the upper right.

After a lot of looking, it appears to be absolutely impossible to get at this actuator “housing” to remove it without removing the entire blower assembly.

My question – has anyone had any experience with this, and what is the correct procedure to remove this actuator

Any and all help is appreciated!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2018-11-19 21.38.40.jpg (311.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-11-19 22.10.01.png (327.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by DigiDean; 11-19-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDean View Post
My question – has anyone had any experience with this, and what is the correct procedure to remove this actuator
You have done some good work getting to this point. I have not done this job but thought I would forward the attached TSB. The TSB itself is not applicable but it may give you some insight how to R&R the Servo's - not sure. Take a look....

Buckaroo
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toyota HVAC TSB 0147-08.pdf (1.08 MB, 8 views)

2000 T4R SR5 V6 4WD
2002 Camry XLE 4 cyl
2004 Accord EX 4 cyl
2010 Mazda MX-5 Touring
2017 Camry XLE 4cyl
2017 Tundra Limited DC 3.5L 4WD

Last edited by Buckaroo5; 11-20-2018 at 05:34 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-20-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo5 View Post
You have done some good work getting to this point. I have not done this job but thought I would forward the attached TSB. The TSB itself is not applicable but it may give you some insight how to R&R the Servo's - not sure. Take a look....

Buckaroo
Thanks much for the info. This appears to provide me insight if I can get the blower unit off, but I'm still trying to figure out how to take the blower unit off and get access without taking the dash apart, which I REALLY don't want to do.

I appreciate the info! I do see a reference to the removal of the AC Amplifier Assembly marked "2008 model year Camry HV (TMC) Repair Manual, Vehicle Interior – Heating/Air Conditioning", which I'm going to search for.

Thanks much!

Anyone else have any ideas???

Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-20-2018, 06:29 PM
Toyota Fanatic

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Thanked 4,426 Times in 3,154 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
The dashboard has to come out. If you send me a PM, I can you the documents covering removal.

My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 (Shell Right Now)
2005 Corolla CE 1ZZFE M/T
2005 Sequoia Limited 2UZFE A/T
2008 LS460 SWB RWD 1URFSE A/T

If I helped out in any way please hit the Thanks button under my post.
The Following User Says Thank You to hardtopte72 For This Useful Post:
Killy (12-11-2018)
post #5 of 5 Old 12-11-2018, 10:27 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hardtopte72 - I'm taking my dash apart to fix a wonky blend unit that's not sending any heat to the passenger side of my 2007 Camry Hybrid. You mentioned to DigiDean that you had removal documents for the dash. I'd really appreciate seeing them as well. Thanks for any consideration. Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)