09 Lexus ES 350 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-12-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
09 Lexus ES 350

Howdy folk, Iím the new kid in town. I figured Iíd make an account here since we pretty much have the same car and I feel like I can probably find more info here than I can in any other forum.
So. I think Iím running the 3.5L 2GR-FE V6 and recently I noticed that my coolant reservoir keeps running empty. Well, I just got a chance to look into it and it looks like itís probably a radiator hose but if it was, the car would probably start heating up. THe car has about 158k and it hasnít given me any problems besides the brakes and top motor mount. I canít get a good look at it but Iím starting to think that the pump may be going out. How do I know if it needs to be replaced? I did a search (mobile version not very helpful) and couldnít come up with much. Has anyone attempted this job recently? I found a video on YouTube and it was helpful but Iím trying to gather as much information possible before attempting this job. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-12-2019, 04:57 PM
cj1
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Take some time to locate coolant leak.
How often does the reservoir run empty?
post #3 of 12 Old 03-12-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Iíd say about a week. Iím about to fill it up now just because my wife still had to drive it but Iíll be watching this time. I finally got the covers off so Iím gonna run it and listen for the pump to make noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-12-2019, 05:54 PM
cj1
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
If its been leaking internal from the water pump should see some pink crustiness around pump weep hole.
May have to look from the underside with strong light to identify.

Some coolant weeping from the pump is normal but emptying the reservoir in a week is too much.
Check reservoir can also leak at the seams/bottom.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-12-2019, 07:27 PM
Shade Tree Mekanic

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye_plus View Post
Iíd say about a week. Iím about to fill it up now just because my wife still had to drive it but Iíll be watching this time. I finally got the covers off so Iím gonna run it and listen for the pump to make noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1 View Post
If its been leaking internal from the water pump should see some pink crustiness around pump weep hole.
May have to look from the underside with strong light to identify.

Some coolant weeping from the pump is normal but emptying the reservoir in a week is too much.
Check reservoir can also leak at the seams/bottom.
I agree with the crust visual diagnostic. But usually the water pumps (on the 2GR-FE) don't make noise at all if they go bad, usually they drip ever so slightly and from my experience have issues with providing heat for the vehicle. It terms of doing it DIY it's not a bad job but it takes some patience and should have experience with working in tight spaces.

Car Ownership History::
06 Camry LE 2.4L 2AZ-FE
02 Outback 2.5L EJ251
03 Lexus ES300 3.0L 1MZ-FE
post #6 of 12 Old 03-13-2019, 01:16 PM
DIY Dad: if it has things, I'll tinker with it

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
Welcome to the site Aye.

Yes on looking for pink crust. Pull the reservoir - easiest job to do. See if there is evidence it is leaking along its seams. Is there ever a puddle or drips spots under the car when it sits? If not, then you have a pressure leak, meaning it only leaks when it is under pressure. Hose, pump, radiator along the top end, things like that.

Camry Mod

THIS

'15 4Runner SR5 (1GR-FE)
'09 Camry SE 2.4L (2AZ-FE)
'97 Tacoma XL 4x4 Ext Cab 2.7L (3RZ-FE) - Manual
'97 Ford Explorer XLT V6 SOHC 4.0L 4x4

post #7 of 12 Old 03-15-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
09 Lexus ES 350

Thank you for the input. I just purchased my upper and lower hoses so I will be replacing those as soon as I find time. I canít get a real good look at the WP from up top so when I replace the hoses, Iíll remove the bottom covers as well. Hopefully then I can see it better.
I found a video where the guy emptyís his radiator and pours the fluid back in after the job is done. Is that normal? To use the same coolant that came out of it?
Also, I filled the reservoir tues and it was empty yesterday. Probably ran out days before. The card does leave a little puddle on the passenger side but it doesnít have problems warning the car up.

Last edited by Aye_plus; 03-16-2019 at 06:10 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-24-2019, 01:58 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you for the input. I just purchased my upper and lower hoses so I will be replacing those as soon as I find time. I canít get a real good look at the WP from up top so when I replace the hoses, Iíll remove the bottom covers as well. Hopefully then I can see it better.
I found a video where the guy emptyís his radiator and pours the fluid back in after the job is done. Is that normal? To use the same coolant that came out of it?
Also, I filled the reservoir tues and it was empty yesterday. Probably ran out days before. The card does leave a little puddle on the passenger side but it doesnít have problems warning the car up.
Positively ridiculous ... unless the coolant had recently been changed. You will need over two gallons of Toyota Pink super long life coolant. Do not mix brands. Toyota recommends a full coolant exchange at ten years, 100,000 miles (whichever comes first) and 50,000 miles thereafter. Do NOT flush your system with tap water ... no need to "flush it" at all like they did in the "old days" of the rusty radiator.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Well, itís been a little over 2 months and I havenít had a chance to mess with this car but itís still running like a champ. Maybe it isnít the water pump
post #10 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 08:24 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, it’s been a little over 2 months and I haven’t had a chance to mess with this car but it’s still running like a champ. Maybe it isn’t the water pump
My family has 2 cars with this engine and the same thing happened to us also. One day i checked the coolant reservoir and it was almost low, i topped it off and never had the problem occur again. I keep checking it also. Maybe the radiator cap going bad? I don't smell or see a leak or i might not be looking close enough (but then again, only occured once in the past 10,000 miles) And no i did not service the coolant system nor anything related to it. Just tires and oil change. I noticed a little more white smoke from the tailpipe even during warm days for about 2 weeks since the vehicles were purchased at their respective dates (i don't smell coolant though but i doubt it was condensation) and i revved the car once and there was a huge cloud of white smoke but after that it never occured again. This happened just after the car was purchased (i think previous owner had too much oil in engine)but luckily i don't see the oil looking milky, but what if its a very small coolant leak under extreme pressure? The car also misfired badly (CEL flashing) only once and never happened again. So this could mean many things and my ocd will be my demise lol. There is a fair amount of rust on one of them prior to purchasing one of them (don't ask me why it was purchased not my car not my life) would that play a role in this as in for example if the car was in a flood? I don't know if it was or not just throwing things out there. Any ideas why something like this would happen? I think it was just too much oil in the engine because apparently it is somewhat of a challenge for the 2gr-fe to dump out most of its oil during service time, but my ocd isn't convinced 😥😪

Last edited by Mastered; 05-15-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Well. Alright
post #12 of 12 Old 05-16-2019, 07:53 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Hopefully you've been topping it off as needed. Coolant doesn't go anywhere, maybe a bit from evaporation over a period of time, but you can bet if you have a small leak now you're running on borrowed time. make sure your water pump isn't leaking first, then replace all the hoses before one bursts leaving you stranded.

01 Lexus ES300
17 Camry Sport Hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)