Gen 5 fog light install diy using OEM wiring - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By BlackCamSe
  • 1 Post By Brad_G

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 04-15-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
2010 Camry SE V6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen 5 fog light install diy using OEM wiring

Hello guys! I recently tackled the project of installing foglights in my 2002 XLE V6. My original plan was to install a stand alone harness to run the fogs, but my plans changed when I pulled my bumper cover and found my vehicle pre wired for fogs. This is the best case scenario as the fogs will act just like OEM installed fog lights.

Things youíll need:
Fog light relay
Multifunction switch with fog light switch
Set of foglights
Bumper with fog light mounts.

The first thing youíre going to do is remove your bumper cover. All youíll need for this is a 10mm ratchet and socket, and a flat head screw driver. Thereís a 10mm Hidden under the wheel well on either side of the bumper. 2 on the front of the vehicle by where the grille and bumper meet, and several under the vehicle securing the under body shield to the bumper. When I removed my bumper, I discovered my vehicle was wired for fogs from the factory. The wires were stuck inside a small cut out in the energy absorbing foam behind the bumper cover.

If you have a Japanese built vehicle, your OEM bumper will already have the inserts you need to simply install the fogs, if you have a TMMK built vehicle, you will need a new bumper cover with the provisions for foglights. My vehicle is a Japan built car, but the bumper cover was in poor shape so I opted to replace it. I didnít get a photo of the back of the bumper, but the fogs are super easy to install. There is a flat tab and a clip with a screw on the fog that engages the bumper. After it clips in simply tighten the screw to expand the clip.

Youíre going to want to take a few minutes to clean any corrosion out of the connectors for your fog lights. If itís anything like my vehicle (17 years in the salt belt) the pins will be rather corroded. I used some electrical contact cleaner and a pick to remove as much corrosion as possible. After youíve cleaned your connectors out, go ahead and plug your fogs in and reinstall your bumper cover. Youíre now done on the outside of the vehicle

Now to inside. First, youíre going to need to install your new multifunction switch. Behind your steering wheel there are two Phillips head screws. Go ahead and remove them, along with the upper and lower column trim pieces
The switch is held in with a tab. Simply push the tab infront of the switch in and pull it out. Be sure to disconnect the electrical connector. Install your new multifunction switch in reverse order.
Next, youíre going to want to check your fuse box in the driver knee panel and make sure it has a fog light fuse installed, mine did. If for some reason yours doesnít, go ahead and install the correct rating fuse in its place. After verifying/installing your fuse itís time to install the relay. If you lay on your back in the driver foot well, and peek up at the back of the fuse box youíll see 2 rows of relays. On the row to your left, or facing the passenger side of the car, you will see an empty spot for a relay. Thatís where youíll be installing yours. The blue relay is the new one I just installed.

Go ahead and snap that baby in, turn your headlights on, and switch them fogs on with your new switch and voilŗ. You now have new foglights with OEM functionality as if your car came off the assembly line with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bizeek and Brad_G like this.

Thanks netforcer for the awsome sig! You da man!
Quote:
Seatbelt! you're piloting a vehicle were dual vvt-i hitts harder then VTEC and the torquesteer can possibly snap your wrists

Last edited by BlackCamSe; 04-15-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-16-2019, 09:34 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Nice write up! I'm pretty sure I've noticed the ends of the wiring for fog lamps when under my LE. Just haven't decided if I want to do the OEM lamps in the bumper cover or come up with something aftermarket (light and fab a mount).
BlackCamSe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)