07 Camry low beam dim what to try next?? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vangm25

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-19-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
07 Camry low beam dim what to try next??

Hello,

Just purchased an 07 Camry and the low beams are very dim. I searched the site and did the suggestions I found other than buy h9 bulbs and modify them.

I can see directly in front of the car okay about 20 feet but nothing to the left or the right. I don't need glasses, my wife, daughter, and the guy at Auto Zone also said they were very dim. Right now it's not driveable at night.

My alternator is 2 weeks old "guy gave me receipt" and had the battery & alternator tested and all works fine. I just bought the car and it had Cree xhp-50 LED bulbs in it. I replaced those with silverstar ultra h11. It's the same bulb our Murano has and I just put new in the Murano as well. Those really helped the Murano and did nothing for the Camry.

I then did a 2 step wet sand of the headlights and buffed them. They weren't too bad but I did it anyway and that helped a little bit.

I checked the fuses and they are fine. I checked the ground where you plug in the bulb and that is fine and also where it is grounded to the car. Wires look good and no resistance.

When I click the bulb into place the housing moves kind of like a shock absorber in and out. Wondering if maybe that is the issue and I need to get a new headlight assembly? Passenger side moves move than the driver side.

I checked my Murano & Infinity and neither of those budge.

Any thoughts on what I can try next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-19-2019, 04:46 PM
New TN User

I installed some new headlight modules (the whole lens/housing/etc) from rock auto and they work great! I like rock auto because the price is less than half what any of the local auto stores want for the exact same part.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-19-2019, 04:54 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Use newer/better bulbs or use HIDs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-19-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I see you're in Milwaukee. That is where I bought the car from a private party. What bulb would you suggest trying? I just bought them for the Camry & the Murano and they work awesome on the Murano.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerswi View Post
I see you're in Milwaukee. That is where I bought the car from a private party. What bulb would you suggest trying? I just bought them for the Camry & the Murano and they work awesome on the Murano.
You can maybe try the Philips CrystalVision Ultra H11, these are what I first swapped my lights to in 2013. However, I also want to say that the bulbs aren't as good and they may be blue tinted? I got my HIDs in 2015 and they are great so it is hard to compare them to the halogen's I used to have.

Also, you won't miss my Camry because it is one of the only ones you will see with a black roof, "Audi-style" LED tail lights, yellow fog lights that are always on, along with a "louder than normal" exhaust for a Camry...
meyerswi likes this.

post #6 of 13 Old 04-19-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Here is what my headlights look like. The bottom of the masking tape is equal to the height of the middle of my headlights and I'm 4 feet from the wall.

I see the adjustment screw that is 8mm but mine doesn't have a slot in it for a screwdriver. Before I start to adjust do I go off the the two rectangles or more where the horizontal line is? If off of the horizontal line they are quite low. It's hard to see but the tape is in the upper rectangles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7126.JPG (627.3 KB, 16 views)
post #7 of 13 Old 04-19-2019, 10:35 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerswi View Post
Here is what my headlights look like. The bottom of the masking tape is equal to the height of the middle of my headlights and I'm 4 feet from the wall.

I see the adjustment screw that is 8mm but mine doesn't have a slot in it for a screwdriver. Before I start to adjust do I go off the the two rectangles or more where the horizontal line is? If off of the horizontal line they are quite low. It's hard to see but the tape is in the upper rectangles.
25 feet is the distance you adjust from.

post #8 of 13 Old 04-19-2019, 11:41 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Easiest way to get a little brighter bulb is modify H9 bulbs. Next get fog lights if you haven't already, although they won't reach out more than a car length or two, they fill in the gaps on either side that the low beam can't. For the best lighting go with hid retrofit. Acura MDX projectors are easy to bolt on.

FS: *Acura RL 4 pot BBK setup Camry
*5th gen Camry/Solara TRD front strut tower.
*BC coilover with Swift springs
*02 Camry SE headlights.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-20-2019, 01:02 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Welcome to TN!

Hard to tell from the pic, but they look bright to me. If you suspect a problem with the electrical easiest thing to do is compare brightness with a comparable Camry. If not possible voltage drop batt + to positive on headlamp when running low beam, you should see less than .2 of a volt difference(I said less than).

Other than that, your getting old man. For every 10 years that goes by you need 50% more light to see as before in the darkness. Get the Phillips extreme vision headlamps(better known as seniors bulbs).

Best
post #10 of 13 Old 04-20-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
All is good on the lights. My pic of the headlights was after I cranked up both sides quite a bit. I posted the pick and stopped before I did raise up based on the horizontal line or the rectangles to be sure. After I moved the car back to 25 feet I cranked them up quite a bit more. Took it for a test drive and major improvement. Still doesn't shine like my other cars but I feel safe driving at night now. I should have just checked that first. Hard to believe the person I bought it from had them that far out of adjustment. He must not have driven at night.

I spent a ton of time reading online and watching videos. At least I know now about electricity and how to use a meter. Also learned how to clean headlights.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-20-2019, 10:00 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Glad that worked out.

Best
post #12 of 13 Old 04-20-2019, 10:42 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
IDK. When it comes do dim bulbs lets start with the simple things... How old are your bulbs? bulbs age and get dimmer over time.

Then....
  • Did you check for a short or a ground wire somewhere that is rusted?
  • How old is your battery and what is the CCA and reserve capacity?
  • Is the alternator failing?
  • Are your battery terminals rusted and need cleaning?
  • How old and faded are your headlight housings? restore or replace them.

Then...
I don't have H9's in my camry, I have H11's and 9005's. But I upgraded them to 5000 lumen 5500k LED's and they are about as bright as you can go unless you upgrade to HID's.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-27-2019, 01:46 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Go for the HID kit. it's awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)