DIY fix for that sagging rear exhaust that you've all seen... - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-12-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
DIY fix for that sagging rear exhaust that you've all seen...

I thought I posted this last night, but for some reason I cannot find it today. I think there was a glitch when I hit submit thread.

Ok, so I know most of you are likely familiar with that low point in the Camry's rear exhaust, that bend below the rear crossmember, that almost always seems to hang too low. In my case, and I suspect most of you driving '06 and older vehicles, the factory exhaust hanger bolts and "L" hangers that were welded to the pipe itself, have rusted away. Even though that section of pipe is seriously sagging, since it isn't failing, or leaking, I've decided to simply re-hang, or support, it, until the pipe eventually fails. Aftermarket exhausts are seldom as good as factory units, and when they are, they're usually very expensive.

I'm attaching pics of the location of said missing hardware, in case someone reading this isn't familiar, and I'd love to hear cost effective solutions. I have the factory spacer that bolts onto the holes in the crossmember, but suspect I'll have to use generic hanger parts to fix this, since the bolts and welded L hangers are missing.

If you've fixed this, please let me know how you went about it, including describing or listing parts used.

Thank you for any and all helpful info.

https://i.imgur.com/rBDmvBY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4dxjs0X.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uLvEWMb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cuxhb5H.jpg

2005 Camry SE 2.4L inline 4 cyl. (2AZ–FE)

"Be kind, because everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Last edited by MG-70; 05-12-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 03:44 PM
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG-70 View Post
I thought I posted this last night, but for some reason I cannot find it today. I think there was a glitch when I hit submit thread.

Ok, so I know most of you are likely familiar with that low point in the Camry's rear exhaust, that bend below the rear crossmember, that almost always seems to hang too low. In my case, and I suspect most of you driving '06 and older vehicles, the factory exhaust hanger bolts and "L" hangers that were welded to the pipe itself, have rusted away. Even though that section of pipe is seriously sagging, since it isn't failing, or leaking, I've decided to simply re-hang, or support, it, until the pipe eventually fails. Aftermarket exhausts are seldom as good as factory units, and when they are, they're usually very expensive.

I'm attaching pics of the location of said missing hardware, in case someone reading this isn't familiar, and I'd love to hear cost effective solutions. I have the factory spacer that bolts onto the holes in the crossmember, but suspect I'll have to use generic hanger parts to fix this, since the bolts and welded L hangers are missing.

If you've fixed this, please let me know how you went about it, including describing or listing parts used.

Thank you for any and all helpful info.

https://i.imgur.com/rBDmvBY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4dxjs0X.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uLvEWMb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cuxhb5H.jpg

You could go to a local Autozone or auto parts place and get a universal hanger. Or GI to an exhaust shop and have them weld the L shaped hanger that broke/rusted off. The 1st would be less expensive.
Glenn

Sent from my A622GL using Tapatalk

MDX-TSX-R HID RETROFIT, XENON DIGITAL BALLASTS, 85122 + BULBS, GEN 6.5 CHROME WHEELS, ADVENT NAVI MEGANF.S.T.B. BLACKED OUT HEADLIGHTS, W.T FLOORLINER
post #3 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 07:52 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
A universal hanger would work, but also check the two rubber hangers directly behind the muffler. They fail pretty often and will cause the exhaust to sag as you are describing. They are cheap and easy to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-16-2019, 05:00 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Note that the hanger on crossmember is threaded in? When re-installing, use thread-locker on the bolts along with lock-washers and tighten sufficiently so they don't fall out.

post #5 of 8 Old 05-16-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Note that the hanger on crossmember is threaded in? When re-installing, use thread-locker on the bolts along with lock-washers and tighten sufficiently so they don't fall out.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm still trying to determine the correct size bolt. In a pdf doc that I found of the factory service manual, Section 15-1, there's a "19 (194, 14)" next to the bolt for the "Exhaust Damper Bolt". I could not make sense of the numbers or find where in the manual I can look for the specs.

Anyone know?

It'll be a trial and error proposition. I was hoping someone had run into the same problem and recommend parts for the fix, but I've bought various universal exhaust hangers locally, and will give it a shot one of these days. Unless you use factory parts, my take on aftermarket exhausts and parts is that it's almost always a trial and error and metal fabrication job.

Thanks again!

2005 Camry SE 2.4L inline 4 cyl. (2AZ–FE)

"Be kind, because everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
post #6 of 8 Old 05-17-2019, 02:22 PM
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up! I'm still trying to determine the correct size bolt. In a pdf doc that I found of the factory service manual, Section 15-1, there's a "19 (194, 14)" next to the bolt for the "Exhaust Damper Bolt". I could not make sense of the numbers or find where in the manual I can look for the specs.

Anyone know?

It'll be a trial and error proposition. I was hoping someone had run into the same problem and recommend parts for the fix, but I've bought various universal exhaust hangers locally, and will give it a shot one of these days. Unless you use factory parts, my take on aftermarket exhausts and parts is that it's almost always a trial and error and metal fabrication job.

Thanks again!
I would go to your local Toyota parts dept. And get the bolts that you need to go into the subframe , that would take the guesswork out. I know that looking at the diagrams can be tricky.
A lot of aftermarket hangers have holes drilled in them so you can adjust them to the length that you need. You could use something like this, and bend it to the proper length then use an OEM bolt to bolt it to your sub frame. https://www.delcity.net/store/Muffle...20group%20%231
Glenn

Sent from my A622GL using Tapatalk

MDX-TSX-R HID RETROFIT, XENON DIGITAL BALLASTS, 85122 + BULBS, GEN 6.5 CHROME WHEELS, ADVENT NAVI MEGANF.S.T.B. BLACKED OUT HEADLIGHTS, W.T FLOORLINER

Last edited by glenn14; 05-17-2019 at 02:30 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-17-2019, 07:40 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:

Anyone know?
those numbers are for torque in newton•meter (kilogram•centimeter, lbs•feet) which would be fairly standard for M6-1.0 bolt. Pull one off somewhere and see if it fits (bolts holding front wing on is that size).
post #8 of 8 Old 05-18-2019, 08:50 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
All my hangers there in good shape but the pipe does hang low on all of these year camry's follow one down the road and it's the low point of contact. would look better if up out of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)