Rack and Pinion - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Rack and Pinion

My 2002 Camry has one of those rack and pinion rubber boots with oil on the outside of it. It’s not leaking but the oil is just covering the rubber. The steering is fine but feels loose. Very easy to turn the steering wheel. It’s been like this for a long while I think but I’m not the primary driver of the car. Does the whole thing need to be replaced or should I ignore this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 11:47 PM
BMR
Sheriff of Mayberry

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,918 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Hi Lucas, and welcome to the TN forums! I moved your thread to the appropriate Camry forum where youíll be more likely to get some advice.

2015 RAV4 Limited, AWD, tech pkg, Barcelona red metallic, 63k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 398k
1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, totaled at 384k miles
post #3 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 11:54 PM
☻Black Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Mroc View Post
My 2002 Camry has one of those rack and pinion rubber boots with oil on the outside of it. Itís not leaking but the oil is just covering the rubber. The steering is fine but feels loose. Very easy to turn the steering wheel. Itís been like this for a long while I think but Iím not the primary driver of the car. Does the whole thing need to be replaced or should I ignore this.

- make sure its the rack boot and not the cv axle boot
- if the rack boot is ripped it will take on grit and water and wear out the rack due to increased lash/backlash between the rack and pinion gears

- this backlash will create 'play' in the steering wheel, ie 'freeplay' when you move the wheel back and forth before the front wheels actually move/react

- most steering racks have a backlash adjuster screw to adjust for wear, HOWEVER once the rack is worn enough to feel play adjusting the backlash adjuster will usually not fix it (you'll get heavy steering effort that wont re-center instead)..

- live with it OR replace the entire rack

- OR you may try to adjust the backlash on the rack itself and see if you get lucky..

1995 2.2L Camry 5sfe engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Try suctioning out the PS reservoir with a turkey baster or other suction device. Add Dexron III or Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Drive vehicle for a few days. Repeat procedure two or three more times. The seal additive in the new ATF may swell the seal enough to prevent leakage. My 04 PS rack boot on one side showed some accumulation of oil early on but never developed a fluid leak.Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)