Droptop Windscreen questions - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-06-2007, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Droptop Windscreen questions

Does anyone have experieince with the optional windscreen for the droptop?

1) Does it effectively reduce wind buffeting at highway speeds?

2) We drive a lot with the top down in cool weather. Does it gain a few degrees in cabin heat retention?

3) The Toyota site says that it "drops down for betting visibility wile backing up". Can you lower it with the top up so that it remains attached without having to put it in the trunk?

4) Does it take up much trunk space?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-07-2007, 04:15 PM
New TN User

Works Well

I installed the windscreen in my 07 convertable.
1) With the windows raised it does greatly reduce wind buffeting at highway speeds. Not as well as the screen I fabricated myself for my VW Cabrio; that one was plexiglass with a vinyl skirt below which I was able to attach to the roll bar. The solid material and greater height made a much tighter compartment. The solara mesh screen does make a significant improvement, however.
2) I haven't used this one in cool weather yet, but I expect it would make several degrees difference in temperature.
3) The top panel flips down without removing it. I haven't used this feature, since I find the visibility to be fine looking through the mesh.
4) It takes up very litle trunk space. The upright panel is not large and the horizonal piece is a fabric screen that you unhook from the back seat and wrap around the upright panel for storage.
One advantage over my Cabrio screen is that it gives my dog a comfortable bed on the back seat. He's a medium-size dog (a large sheltie), and I got a harness that attaches to the seatbelt and will prevent him from becoming a missile in a colision. He is quite happy and unbuffetted sitting on the back seat under the screen. He used to crawl down onto the floor behind my seat in the Cabrio, so I hated to put the top down when I had him along.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Just Some Guy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^^ Ditto on most accounts.

It's still not very well designed for flipping down and up again - so I used some JB Weld on the hinged areas and now it's permanently in the UP position. You can see right through it, so I don't know why you'd ever want it down in the first place!

Also, after a year of it on (and a lot of miles of use) the back mesh flap is getting loose and floppy. No real way to tighten it up either, which sucks. It also leaves a nasty mark on the back seat, which I hope I can rub out with some leather cleaner/conditioner.

'06 Solara SLE V6 Convertible - See Updates at:http://www.cardomain.com/id/pixelpainter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-14-2019, 07:29 AM
New TN User

Garage
04-08 Solara convertible windscreen available

I have the OEM windscreen available for anyone who that may need a replacement for the screen itself. I do not have the parts that are inside the rear seat side panels. So your car must have had the kit previously installed for this windscreen to work. Very good condition with straps and the zippered storage bag. $150 shipped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)