DIY GUIDE: Replacing Spark Plugs on 2az-fe - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 103 Old 04-20-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
I callz it like i seez it

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
DIY GUIDE: Replacing Spark Plugs on 2az-fe

Most people on this board probably already know how to do this or have done this before, but I thought this might be helpful for the newbs and first timers. When I did mine for the first time it would have helped a bunch if there was a thread like this. I changed mine today and decided to take some pics and do a write up.

The 2az-fe is the engine used on all four cylinder Gen 5 and Gen 6 Camry's from 2002-2009.

DISCLAIMER: This guide is meant only to give you a general idea on what the job entails. I am NOT a technician, mechanic or expert. I'm just an average joe who enjoys doing my own maintenance. If there is any inaccurate information on here the more knowledgable posters on here will be quick to point it out. I am not responsible for any damage you may do to your car while following this guide. That said, its a very easy and quick job even for diy newbs so if you've never done it before and feel up to it, there is nothing at all to be intimidated about.

Tools Required: A socket wrench or torque wrench with a 6 inch extension, a 10mm socket, a 16mm spark plug deep socket or 16mm socket tool (you will want a deep socket with a rubber gasket which will grip the spark plug and help when pulling the plug out and lowering it back in) , your 4 new spark plugs and about 30 mins of free time.

STEP 1: Use your 10mm socket to remove the two nuts holding the plastic cover.

Put your nuts and cover somewhere safe and clean and take a look underneath. It's all laid out nice and easy. BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, make sure you do the spark plugs one at a time. You want to make sure all the plugs, ignition coils and wires are where they are supposed to be.

STEP 2: Use your 10mm socket to remove the bolt that is holding the ignition coil in place. Press down on the pressure tab to remove the wire from the ignition coil

STEP 3: Pull out the ignition coil and put it somewhere clean. It should just slide out without much resistance.

STEP 4: You don't want any dirt or foreign crap getting in your engine. Before you remove the spark plug clean around the hole with either compressed air, or carefully wipe it with a dry cloth making sure you dont wipe any dirt down the hole

STEP 5: Once its clean look down the hole and you will see the top of your spark plug about 6 inches down. Put the the spark plug tool or torque wrench with the 16mm spark plug socket down until you feel it grip the spark plug. GENTLY unscrew the plug. Be very careful not to break the spark plug or you will be in a world of hurt. If it doesn't budge just be patient and work on it gently until it loosens.

STEP 6: Remove the old spark plug. Once its out of the threads the plug should stick to the rubber gasket on the socket and pull right out with your wrench/tool. If it doesn't take a pair of needle nose pliers and carefully fish the spark plug out.

The old worn out spark plug:

STEP 7: Put the new spark plug onto the torque wrench/spark plug tool. Make sure its in there tight and lower it down where the old plug was. Screw it in place

DO NOT CROSSTHREAD. The spark plugs should thread in very smoothly and effortlessly with almost no resistance until they make contact. See post #9 for a technique to avoid crossthreading. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. Again you don't want to break it or make it too difficult to take them out when you relplace them. The proper way to do this is to use a torque wrench and torque it to spec, but hand tightening is also fine as long as you don't overdo it.

STEP 8: Once the new plug is in there tight and secure, get the ignition coil that you took out earlier and put it back in place

STEP 9: Put the 10 mm bolt back on and tighten it until the ignition coil is nice and snug. Plug the wire back into the ignition coil

STEPS 10, 11, and 12: Repeat this with the other 3 spark plugs

STEP 13: Put the plastic engine cover back on, and you're done! Enjoy the improved MPG and engine performance.

Toyota...the fat ugly girl that cooks, cleans and does your laundry without ever complaining.

Last edited by ScrooYoo; 05-16-2010 at 09:23 PM.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to ScrooYoo For This Useful Post:
96paseo (06-24-2012), afzalulhb (07-07-2015), alpha_1976 (04-17-2015), benelli_t (10-20-2013), bmninada (09-28-2013), burroug (06-12-2014), Donald E. George (02-19-2011), fj62 (08-14-2011), h99x (08-11-2016), HotRod53 (01-09-2012), i_am_jim (10-01-2012), Joe Dirt (04-01-2011), khalsa (06-17-2013), Pr0grammer (06-23-2014), rapidmotors (01-12-2016), realtoinedeal8 (07-07-2011), workerant (08-14-2011), x4nd3r05 (05-16-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 04-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Taco Tuesday!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
now that's a proper diy. nice job. i vote for sticky (or linked in the diy sticky thread).
post #3 of 103 Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Goes Against The Grain

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Very nice!

It's now linked in the DIY section

2002 Camry SE TRD Supercharged 1MZ-FE "Snow White" - Track/Summer Car
2010 Rav4 Limited 4WD - Winter Car
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited - Sold
Toronto/Canadian Meets and Track Days - https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/69-canada/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 103 Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Nice and informative guide with the pictures. Just my thought but personally I would've uses anti-seize on the spark plugs' thread. I don’t mess with a torque wrench and just tighten the spark plug until snug tight. Also an alternative socket for the 16mm is the 5/8’’ spark plug socket.
post #5 of 103 Old 05-16-2010, 06:41 PM
New TN User

Thank you very much for this DIY

I'm a bit concerned with STEP 4. Can I use one of those aerosol looking bottles that have compressed air in it? Can I blow the air into that hole to clean it out?

Thanks
post #6 of 103 Old 05-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Hello, Good Morning

How do i know when to change them around how many miles??

post #7 of 103 Old 05-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Baby's got a new skirt

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
You change them when you start to notice a decrease in MPG or if you have hard starts or very rough idle.

Some people change them out at 30k, 40k, or even 50k depending on what kind of maintenance you want to upkeep.
post #8 of 103 Old 05-16-2010, 07:05 PM
New TN User

Talking thanks

great DIY will def be needing this in the future
post #9 of 103 Old 05-16-2010, 07:48 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
If you are concerned about crossthreading the plugs, put them on the end of a piece of PVC hose and use that to start threading them. It will slip if it's not going in correctly.

Also, it's a good idea to use anti-seize so that the plugs cannot corrode and get stuck. Also a good idea to put grease on the rubber boots so that doesn't get stuck on the ceramic.

2007 Camry 2.4L 5M
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to touringcamry For This Useful Post:
bmninada (09-28-2013), PJavier (06-10-2013), ScrooYoo (05-16-2010), skip4309 (04-22-2012)
post #10 of 103 Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 PM
-Kenny-

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
added to DIY stickie. thanks

post #11 of 103 Old 05-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Hello, Good Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebumdude View Post
You change them when you start to notice a decrease in MPG or if you have hard starts or very rough idle.

Some people change them out at 30k, 40k, or even 50k depending on what kind of maintenance you want to upkeep.
Im coming up on 60k so there about due for a changing yeah?

post #12 of 103 Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringcamry View Post
If you are concerned about crossthreading the plugs, put them on the end of a piece of PVC hose and use that to start threading them. It will slip if it's not going in correctly.
thanks for pointing that out. that's actually something very important which I forgot to mention in the DIY, which is DO NOT crossthread as this can cause some nasty damage to your ignition coils. The plug should thread in very smoothly and effortlessly until it makes contact. If you feel resistance too early you might be crossthreading. will edit the opening post.

re: 5MTcamry: you don't need to blow air down the hole. the idea with step 4 is just to make sure nothing gets into your engine through the hole when you take the old plug out, so you want to make sure everything is as clean as possible.

re: questions about when you need to change them: Toyota's iridium spark plugs last a really, really long time, a helluva lot longer than regular copper or platinum spark plugs. They can easily go well over 100k miles so there is no set rule on how often to change them. Different things also affect how long the spark plug lasts such as whether you use premium or regular fuel. But when they are worn you will notice decreased mpg & engine performance so its better to change them regularly. How often you change them is a matter of personal preference. I like to change mine roughly every 75k miles.

Toyota...the fat ugly girl that cooks, cleans and does your laundry without ever complaining.

Last edited by ScrooYoo; 05-16-2010 at 09:27 PM.
post #13 of 103 Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Hello, Good Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrooYoo View Post
thanks for pointing that out. that's actually something very important which I forgot to mention in the DIY, which is DO NOT crossthread as this can cause some nasty damage to your ignition coils. The plug should thread in very smoothly and effortlessly until it makes contact. If you feel resistance too early you might be crossthreading. will edit the opening post.

re: 5MTcamry: you don't need to blow air down the hole. the idea with step 4 is just to make sure nothing gets into your engine through the hole when you take the old plug out, so you want to make sure everything is as clean as possible.

re: questions about when you need to change them: Toyota's iridium spark plugs last a really, really long time, a helluva lot longer than regular copper or platinum spark plugs. They can easily go well over 100k miles so there is no set rule on how often to change them. Different things also affect how long the spark plug lasts such as whether you use premium or regular fuel. But when they are worn you will notice decreased mpg & engine performance so its better to change them regularly. How often you change them is a matter of personal preference. I like to change mine roughly every 75k miles.

Well my fuel mileage has gotten kinda crappy i average like 20 mpg and im on the freeway alot i drive average speed of 65-70. I think im going to change my plugs there not that expensive. Now i just need to know whats the part number to order from rock auto.

post #14 of 103 Old 05-17-2010, 07:03 AM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gen6

A DIY w/o torque specs.................oh, just look it up.
post #15 of 103 Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeJon View Post
Well my fuel mileage has gotten kinda crappy i average like 20 mpg and im on the freeway alot i drive average speed of 65-70. I think im going to change my plugs there not that expensive. Now i just need to know whats the part number to order from rock auto.
you don't need the part number to order from rock auto. go here:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

choose your make, model and engine --> click on "Engine" --> click on "Ignition" --> click on "Spark Plug" and the selection will appear. Make sure you go with either the Denso or NGK iridium. (I don't know what car or engine you have but for the 2azfe its #3764, 4589, 5304 or 3297)

and you're welcome, but you really shouldn't have needed any help to figure that out

Last edited by ScrooYoo; 05-17-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)