07 Camry Rack & Pinion Problems at 45K miles ??? wow! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
GrayCam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
07 Camry Rack & Pinion Problems at 45K miles ??? wow!

Just wondering if anyone has come across the same problem I am having with my 07 Camry SE V6. Noticed power steering fluid was very low and steering would hum when turning so I filled it up with more fluid (dextron III as manual recommends). Noticed both the right and left rack and pinion boots leaking, leaks more so when turning left or right. I was totally amazed that this particular part would go bad at just only 45k miles on a 2007. My wife drives the vehicle about 95% of the time but is a very cautious and safe driver. The car is NOT driven hard at all. All 45k miles are pampered miles. I am just disappointed in Toyota's Camry claiming to be the safest most reliable vehicle and then come to find out that a Rack and Pinion is leaking at only 45k miles. The dealer on the phone indicated that it is not covered under the power train warranty only under the 3yr/36k mile warranty but of course that is expired. We did not take an extended warranty at the time of purchase in 2007 because we figured there were not going to be any major problems til well after 100k miles anyway since Toyota was to be of great quality. I was wrong! I have a 1985 Lincoln Town Car that has never and still to this day has not had any power steering issues. Also own a 2001 Nissan Maxima SE 140k miles and (knock on wood) never any power steering issues to date - and the Maxima has been driven hard (lowered for some time, now back to stock, been driven at the local 1/4 mile track also).

Sorry for rambling, just disappointed as I can't imagine what the cost would be to replace a rack and pinion on an 07 Camry!

Anyone have rack and pinion trouble/leaks on their 6th gen Camry?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-01-2011, 05:54 PM
New TN User

I have the same problem, but with my 2006 Toyota Camry LE, which has only 62,000 miles. I have all my oil changes and maintenance done at the dealership, and they told me both the rack and pinion and the old pan are leaking. Total cost for both would be exactly $1700! I think I can probably get it fixed for less, but I still don't think the rack should be leaking with so few miles on it.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-01-2011, 09:34 PM
New TN User

hmmm an 07 with rack problems....thats new to me i work at a toyota dealership in the parts dept. and the ones ive seen have the most problems are the 02-06 espically the 06's camry's for some reason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-01-2011, 11:17 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspectx View Post
hmmm an 07 with rack problems....thats new to me i work at a toyota dealership in the parts dept. and the ones ive seen have the most problems are the 02-06 espically the 06's camry's for some reason
Well mine is a 2006 Camry, so that falls in line with what you are saying. If the rack & pinions are leaking on those models, that tells me there was some kind of manufacturing defect or a problem with the seals, like faulty or defective seals. I've dealt with other trades, like plumbers, that get a bad batch of faucet or toilet parts from a supplier, who in turn gets them from a parts manufacturer, so I'm sure that happens in the auto parts industry as well.

Does the dealership you work for have any idea why the 06 models seem to have the problem with the rack & pinion? Have you seen anything in the parts or service bulletins or other notification from Toyota about the rack and pinions being problematic?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM
New TN User

06 Camry

I also own a Camry 06 and have been advised early this year that the power steering rack is leaking. The cost from the dealer has been quoted at $2000. Is this a problem with all 06 Camrys? I sent an email to customer service and they say that they are not aware of any recalls.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayCamrySE07 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has come across the same problem I am having with my 07 Camry SE V6. Noticed power steering fluid was very low and steering would hum when turning so I filled it up with more fluid (dextron III as manual recommends). Noticed both the right and left rack and pinion boots leaking, leaks more so when turning left or right. I was totally amazed that this particular part would go bad at just only 45k miles on a 2007. My wife drives the vehicle about 95% of the time but is a very cautious and safe driver. The car is NOT driven hard at all. All 45k miles are pampered miles. I am just disappointed in Toyota's Camry claiming to be the safest most reliable vehicle and then come to find out that a Rack and Pinion is leaking at only 45k miles. The dealer on the phone indicated that it is not covered under the power train warranty only under the 3yr/36k mile warranty but of course that is expired. We did not take an extended warranty at the time of purchase in 2007 because we figured there were not going to be any major problems til well after 100k miles anyway since Toyota was to be of great quality. I was wrong! I have a 1985 Lincoln Town Car that has never and still to this day has not had any power steering issues. Also own a 2001 Nissan Maxima SE 140k miles and (knock on wood) never any power steering issues to date - and the Maxima has been driven hard (lowered for some time, now back to stock, been driven at the local 1/4 mile track also).

Sorry for rambling, just disappointed as I can't imagine what the cost would be to replace a rack and pinion on an 07 Camry!

Anyone have rack and pinion trouble/leaks on theird it because 6th gen Camry?

Thanks
i have a rack n pinion for sale for 150 out of my 07 v6 se it has 20,000 miles on it i replace it because i was getting a creaking noise when cutting the wheel from side to side i put in a new one from toyota it cost 650!!! and it ended up being the cv joint..i wasnt about to pull it out again and send it back. theres nothing wrong with it. for 150 you cant go wrong.... http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pts/3176979746.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)