One of HID bulbs sometimes won't turn on --- HELP - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen6 One of HID bulbs sometimes won't turn on --- HELP

OK, few months ago, I bought a conversion kit from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OC:US:3160

I also installed the relay harness thingy as well:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130513547801...S:3160&vxp=mtr

Everything worked out fine for about two weeks, and then problem started.

The bulb on driver's side, sometimes would not turn on. It's like it doesn't have enough power to initiate it. I tried with and without the relay harness, same result.
If I turn it off and then wait for a few seconds, turn the switch, sometimes it would turn on, sometimes it wouldn't. And this happens to only the driver side and it drives me crazy.

So I guess the ballast went stupid, so i exchanged a new one. Same thing. I tried to switch the bulbs, no better result.

But here is the strange thing, i popped the hood, have someone turn on/off the light too see what's happening. When the light (driver's side) turn on, everything seemed normal.
But when it does not, it makes this little buzzing sound for like 1/3 of a second, and a little flash at the transparent wire from the ballast to the bulb.

Can some one help me out with this problem ? I mean one bulb is probably brighter than both OEM bulbs, but this is just so annoying...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 12:55 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Could be the relay harness, doesn't exactly look of the highest quality. Take it off and see what happens then.

2008 Lexus IS350 Tungsten Pearl
Osram CBI, F-Sport Sways, LED int, 3M 1080 Gloss Black Roof, 35/35/15 F1 Pinnacle Tint
Old: 2007 Camry SE 2.4: MDX Retrofit, LED int
post #3 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 01:27 AM
270hp = Happy Foot

ebay kits explains it all... you get what you pay for.

2011 Camry SE V6 Fully Loaded w/o Navi
BC Racing Coilovers with custom 7/4kg Springs
23mm UR Racing RSB
18x8.5in Candy Red Work Emotion CR Kai's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 06:17 AM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
cheap kits do that you get what you pay for been there done that

post #5 of 9 Old 08-18-2012, 03:55 AM
ilikecamrys

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
get a new set like ***, Xenondepot, Philips, or Morimoto.

2k8 V6 SE\\MoriMotoH1 Retrofit||Work Emotion CR-ULTIMATES
||BuddyClub Coilovers||SPC Bolts||TRD Dual Catback Exhaust||
Megan Strut Bar||StopTech Slotted Rotors||PosiQuiet Pads||Fujita CAI||TN lanyards
post #6 of 9 Old 08-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
It's not getting enough power at start up, due to everything turning on at once, creating a (very temporary) voltage drop. The more expensive digital ballasts (also some of the higher end analog ballasts) sense voltage and compensate or draw less power at startup.

You have 3 options to fix this. I'll start with the easiest and end with the hardest/ most expensive:

1. This is the easiest. Turn your headlights to off (not auto) before you start your car at night. Now start the car, wait a few seconds and turn it back to auto. Both lights should be on. I have confirmed on other vehicles that this works.

2. Buy a voltage sensitive or "escalade" relay and plug it into you harness. The relay basically waits for the voltage to stabilize before it sends power to the HIDs. I have not confirmed that this method woks. There is a guy on eBay that sells these. If you're interested I can fish up his user name.

3. Most expensive. Buy a morimoto or xenondepot kit and throw the other one in the trash

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Last edited by bigcsorren; 08-18-2012 at 02:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigcsorren For This Useful Post:
ryandoan90 (08-21-2012)
post #7 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
try swapping ballasts? hopefully the problem transfers to passenger side

if you wired everything right, you should be pulling direct current from the battery with your relay harness...telling us that with/without the harness it still "mis-ignites" tells me its a bad ballast
post #8 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcsorren View Post
It's not getting enough power at start up, due to everything turning on at once, creating a (very temporary) voltage drop. The more expensive digital ballasts (also some of the higher end analog ballasts) sense voltage and compensate or draw less power at startup.

You have 3 options to fix this. I'll start with the easiest and end with the hardest/ most expensive:

1. This is the easiest. Turn your headlights to off (not auto) before you start your car at night. Now start the car, wait a few seconds and turn it back to auto. Both lights should be on. I have confirmed on other vehicles that this works.

2. Buy a voltage sensitive or "escalade" relay and plug it into you harness. The relay basically waits for the voltage to stabilize before it sends power to the HIDs. I have not confirmed that this method woks. There is a guy on eBay that sells these. If you're interested I can fish up his user name.

3. Most expensive. Buy a morimoto or xenondepot kit and throw the other one in the trash

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Thanks a lot for the response, man. I will look more into the stabilizer option. It's probably be the sucky ballast that doesn't sense the voltage difference.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
If you are looking to replace your kit there has never been a better time to buy a XenonDepot HID Kit. This is the LOWEST price that XenonDepot HID kits have ever sold for! Furthermore, you get an additional discount by using your forum coupon code upon checkout to get an even lower price!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)