Loud scraping/grinding noise. Jammed Brakes or Transmission?? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-13-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Canada Loud scraping/grinding noise. Jammed Brakes or Transmission??

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding a noise that's coming from my camry.

I just bought this camry recently, it's an 2008 SE 4-cylinder with about 95k on it. Everything is fine on the car with the exception of one thing. Whenever I start it after a prolonged period of it being off, say in the morning or sometimes even having it off for an hour and then starting it again, when I start it, a loud grinding/scrapping noise comes from the front of the car.

This noise lasts for a good 30-60 seconds and as the car picks up speed it disappears. It just happens whenever I start it. Now I'm not sure that if the brakes or jammed or is it something to do with the transmission. I mention the transmission because during the drive, the car seems under a lot of pressure as if towing a large trailer and has trouble accelerating. At times when going downhill, it actually is slowing down as opposed to picking up speed and as soon as I let off the gas the speed drop from significantly.

I know this isn't normal because I used to an 2005 Camry LE 4-cylinder. So I know how the engine and transmission behave.

I took it the dealer recommended mechanic and he said that everything is fine. He's a nincompoop really. I took it to my mechanic and he said that the axle and bearing need to be changed on the passenger side and just the axle on the drivers side. My mechanic is a family friend and is skilled in his trade so I know he's not trying to shaft me.

If anyone out there can help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it. Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
If the sound is coming after starting, it could be bad alternator bearings or bad belt tensioner. This is what happened to an Accord just a month back when I thought of a bad front wheel bearing. The grinding noise was due to worn out pads and now grinding on rotor. Then then other noise was due to alternator, which got replaced with refurbished. The noise was still there but not as bad. Had to get the belt tensioner replaced (it was really hard to turn). Fixed. I did not have time to do this myself as it was on weekdays and did not have alternate car to use.

So it could be bad idle tensioner, a/c pulley, water pump, alternator, or starter. Standing in front, left side noise then alternator, right side is starter (according to bunch of other threads here...). Open the hood and walk slowly from front to passenger side and try to check which point sounds louder and then take a closer look.

Then on drive, it might be time to hear for the bearing, brakes, vs axle noise.

On the drive downhill, it seems from other threads it is normal for some model Toyotas to slow down (downshifting). The Camry currently does that. Not sure how much slower from your description, but it does seem to downshift.

Good luck.

2002 Avalon XL 3.0L mcx20L 1MZFE
2004 Camry LE 2.4L ATM 2AZFE ACV30L-CEPNKA 4FC
2000 Corolla CE1 4 Cyl 1.8L EFI ATM 1ZZFE ZZE110L-DEPDKA SED 4FC
The Following User Says Thank You to surgeon0 For This Useful Post:
mboombastic (03-05-2013)
post #3 of 4 Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey, thanks for the tip. We figured it out. It was something to do with the pads and the rear calipers getting jammed. Once we changed the pads on all four rotors the noise seized. As for it slowing down, that stopped as well. Apologies for the late reply.

Thank you very much for your help, it was much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
No problem. Glad you got it fixed.

2002 Avalon XL 3.0L mcx20L 1MZFE
2004 Camry LE 2.4L ATM 2AZFE ACV30L-CEPNKA 4FC
2000 Corolla CE1 4 Cyl 1.8L EFI ATM 1ZZFE ZZE110L-DEPDKA SED 4FC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)