Airbags blocked by wires? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen6 Airbags blocked by wires?

Hello all,

I just installed aftermarket Sirius satellite and Bluetooth kits into my 2011 Camry LE, and as part of the installation I had to run wires through the driver's side A, B, and C pillars, as well as the headliner and various pieces of weather stripping. While everything seems to have worked out well, I am now a little spooked about the possibility of the wires interfering with my side airbags, especially those which are mounted in the A and C pillars. My understanding is that the airbags blow off the plastic panels on the pillars anyway, and so my initial assumption was that even if the wires did run across part of the airbags, they would be expanding with such force that they would not be impeded. However, now I'm starting to second guess that a bit.

For reference, the units I installed are the Sirius SCC1 (satellite receiver), Audiovox SIR-TOY1 (OEM radio integrator), USA SPEC BT35-TOY (Bluetooth), and SFA12M (sharkfin antenna adaptor + wire). I ran an antenna wire from the sharkfin connector in the driver's C pillar out through the headliner, through the top of the B pillar, into the weatherstripping on the A pillar, down underneath the steering column where the receiver is mounted. There is also a microphone wire for the Bluetooth which runs through the headliner from just above the rear view mirror, into the A pillar, then down along the weatherstripping along with the previously mentioned antenna wire.

Does anyone have any experience or advice they can share on this? I appreciate any help you can offer!

Last edited by IanC; 07-30-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added more details on part numbers and purposes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Maven

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
If you have any added wires between your body and the actual airbags, or any that would be in their path if blown, I would advise you to reroute those wires.

2007 V6 Camry LE, Built TMMK 27 September 06
"People who think they know it all are particularly irritating to those of us who do."
post #3 of 3 Old 07-30-2013, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi gdanaher,
Thanks for the advice. I definitely may end up doing that

Has anyone tried routing wires along the same path that I did? Is the headliner/pillars path pretty standard for this type of thing?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)